Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

.... In a nice way? Or to take a swing

#42 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

i feel the same way Sarah also love to catch up with him!!

I hate to say it Den.. Your post makes me want to learn more about you? Catch up for a beer sometime or coffee

Sure but I dont drink beer or coffee, its bad for you, can I have a scotch instead please?

#43 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

den, i have to agree that you can be a bit antagonistict, you have a tendency to the throw a line out and see who bites and then argue the point.
i see you what your original post was saying but moving a entire city becasue of a flood that happens every 30 something years is a bit over board, natural disaters can happen at any time anyplace, i have mates i know over there that have had theyre houses swamped by water and only had enough time to grab bottled water, im originally from qld and if i could help out i would, i dont have much money so i cant afford to donate if i did i would. i just think maybe you should think aobut what your are doin for once rather then tryin to start a argument becasue your bored

#44 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

I'm happy with scotch. As long as it's your shout wink.gif

#45 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hey Twist, not really meaning to be antagonistic mate, Ive never said I wished bad things on anyone.

Anyway hope your family and friends are all OK

BTW the pbass I once promised you are nearly ready, let me know if you still want some.

PS Sarah Im not really sure what you are meaning, but I think Im sure that choombies doesnt really want to have a drink withe me. laugh.gif

Cheers
Den smile.gif

Edited by Den, 13 January 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#46 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

Den of course is right. His observations are correct.

However, if people can't afford to relocate, have lived there for years, feel connected to the land (sometimes water) you can understand why their hearts overcome their heads.

I agree governments are badly prepared and in general have a four or so year term and are indifferent to what might be ahead.

Humans tend to be optimistic, because the alternative usually means money, planning and hard work.

Incidentally Den, I was looking at recent releases for global warming related flooding on maps of Rockingham, and where you and I live isn't looking good.
However, I feel it will never happen smile.gif If or when it does happen, people will come to my rescue.

What is the real crime, is this ridiculous continuous broadcast of this event. The journos are deliberately trying to evoke emotions from us all that are bound to get you tuning in, glued to the set, and attracting sponsorship money. Cynical? Maybe, but there is nothing Australians like better than a hard luck story, that rallies us together and makes us feel more "Australian"

By the way, over 250 South Americans have lost their lives in floods this week too.

Regards,

Donna

edited: pushed the button twice and text repeated itself.

Edited by Donna, 13 January 2011 - 10:04 PM.

#47 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

Den, just looked thru the intros and notice you haven't done one yet? About time since Your really good at writing long winded posts smile.gif

#48 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Den of course is right. His observations are correct.

Donna I honour your bravery to make such comments, but are you really sure you want to enter this bee hive? I agree the media machine has done a good job on some people, they are really wound up and not thinking clearly, it doesnt seem a safe issue to discuss, as you can see some people/members have been making threats at me.

Edited by Den, 13 January 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#49 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

I have choombies back smile.gif

Den if you really care that much, why post your concerns here? Why not post it on a QLD forum to see there response? I guarantee 99% rebuild what that have. You know why, because they have heart which already more than you have.

Now take a lean back in your chair and realise just seperated from the rest of Australia you really are.

EDIT: slightly harsh, all the best Den. Hope your house doesn't burn down anytime soon.

Edited by gibbs, 13 January 2011 - 10:45 PM.

#50 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

Den, it's not bravery. I have been having the same thoughts as you all week. People have been metaphorically swept away, sitting crying over feats of bravery, over premiers making moving speeches and understandably over the loss of the innocent lives, as I have too.

However, I can't help but think about my own knowledge of the Solar Cycle, the Weather Cycle, of the easily discernible patterns that are emerging, and why, oh why don't people build upon the rock? (metaphorically speaking as well as literally)

Why can't people see that these observations are not harsh or a reflection upon the suffering of ordinary people?

This is more about reactive behaviour as opposed to proactive behaviour, which could have prevented current suffering and suffering in the future.

Instead, let's all cancel fireworks, stand with Queenslanders (in spirit anyway), put the Southern Cross stickers on our cars and

Laugh and think that this is Australia smile.gif

Regards,

Donna

#51 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

Den you your basic point is correct, living in a flood prone area, should mean building to suit the conditions. However what you are doing is making a simple broad statement about more complex social/economic issues. A lot of work has been done since past floods to try and prevent this from reoccurring, so the planning information would have changed.
The same could be said (with the same logic) of any home that is positioned in areas that may possibly be at risk for any number of possible events at some point of time.
My comments were not meant as an attack on you, just an observation.

Tony

#52 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

Well I have to admit the topic title is a bit catchy... I suppose it might be Den's intent... and the content and delivery of the post does not show too much of his sensitivity and compassion to the disaster that Queensland is facing right now.

However I feel somewhat similar (probably because I don't have any relatives or friends that have been affected), but when I first became aware of the floods, being a property investor, I thought "Thank God I did not buy in Queensland"... Some years ago, some people mentioned to buy in Ipswich and Toowoomba, good thing I did not follow them...
And after know what I have seen, I will not buy in those parts of Queensland as an investment and I sure in no way will buy in those parts to live in...

I suppose we are still in the midst of disaster hence Den's lessons learnt post could be slightly sensitive, but humans will always be humans... Once the event is over, people forget, stop asking for answers. Well who's still following Julian Assange?? Not many I would think, hence most things you need to ask the hard-hitting questions and demand answers when it happens. And there is a high possibility that after this event, the government will not carry out a lessons learnt and implement good flood containment strategies, people stop asking for answers and in 30-40 years, Queensland will have another flood disaster... Sad to say but history will repeat itself and has repeated itself...

And yes, cancel the Skyworks, put the money to better use. If you believe that it is insensitive to post the obvious facts, then I think it is insensitive to celebrate Australia Day in the other states when Queenslanders have just had a hard time two weeks before, and would likely not have the mood to celebrate with the rest of Australia...

Edited by Ivan Sng, 13 January 2011 - 11:18 PM.

#53 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

I'm still following Assange smile.gif and there are more Australians not carried away by the media representation of events than you think.

I have never heard more disappointment in my life than that expressed because the peak will not exceed the 1974 record.

Big disappointment...huge.

#54 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

ive got my flight booked for Sunday.

instead of helping with the clean up , i might just tell them they are idiots.

cheers
Steve Green

#55 maxy

maxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

Perth is due for it's 100 year flood around now.

#56 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

If you saw the Avon Descent last year you'd see how dry the (I believe) same 100-year floodplain is -- they practically had to carry the boats!

Perth is actually built on lake beds.

EDIT: Please watch your mouths guys and girls and say nothing you won't regret later on, particularly if the thread is locked later.

Edited by Kieran, 14 January 2011 - 12:25 AM.

#57 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

i have some fish buddies in queensland and i've heard back from all except one... im a bit concerned for her safety.... fingers crossed i hear something soon...

regardless of all the opinions posted.... i think houses built in flood prone areas should be built with two ideas in mind....
1. disposable house built cheaply
2. house built with full intent of riding out a flood... built up on stilts or 2-3 storey houses... floating house... whatever will do the job...

a lot of people that have housing in flood prone areas have so because thats all they can afford... its still cheaper for them to rebuild then to sell up and build on higher ground...

but once all the cleaning is well underway... queensland will once again flourish.... there'll be plenty of work for everybody for a few years to come....

best wishes to everybody effected... and spend that 1k i donated well...... hopefully everybody will buy some more fish from me and i'll be able to donate some more....

something that made me bitter was the australian govt donated nearly 1 billion dollars to indonesia after the tsunami's..... and approx 66 million to pakistan after their floods.... and all they could manage to say was we'll be donating ONE MILLION dollars to qld flood relief...... "{replace with several rude words here}" is what i think about the australian govt at the moment....

#58 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:16 AM

Yes we humans are'nt the brightest tools in the shed.

#59 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:38 AM

I think they need to have another large concert like the one for the fires and the other floods (wave aid, sound relief etc.) This would be a great help and the chance for some big bands to help out again.

#60 MrOrange

MrOrange
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (bigjohnnofish @ Jan 14 2011, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the australian govt donated nearly 1 billion dollars to indonesia after the tsunami's..... and approx 66 million to pakistan after their floods.... and all they could manage to say was we'll be donating ONE MILLION dollars to qld flood relief......

I think you'll find the contribution from the government will run well past 1 billion dollars. 3/4 of the state is declared a disaster zone, which means people in those areas are entitled to government assistance packages, the government will also need to foot the bill to repair and rebuild all of the road, rail, power and water infrastructure damaged throughout the floods - the cost will be enormous.

3rd world countries do not have the government assistance that we get here, which is why more is needed to help.

I originally had the same thought as you, but when I stopped to think, realised we are so much luckier to be in Australia.

Edited by MrOrange, 14 January 2011 - 07:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users