Photo

Show Off Your Other Hobbies

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#161 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Both teams played well. Buddy played well against his old team.

#162 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

I have not once stumbled across any exotic reptile species (and I even worked in a reputable reptile pet store for 4 years when I was younger), noxious fish etc yes.

Maybe in WA not as much because the reptile seen is quite young maybe?

It doesn't surprise me, ive only seen reptiles being kept that shouldn't be kept in WA (still all native Australian species.)

on a side bender, Ice, I spoke to matt, wreckons hes got one nice BHP ill like put a side, pick it up in 2 weeks, oh boy, snake fever coming on again!! Just need a couple waters - then ill jump the band wagon when RSP come readily available in WA.

The one in those pics doesn't look that young.  The veil is quite big already.  They grow extremely fast as they are short lived. 

LOL at all these guys saying what they would give for one.  They're not worth that much and not worth the trouble of getting caught with one lol. 

From memory, the most expensive Veiled Chams going around were $600 and it only went down from there. 

They are cool but not worth the trouble. For the same price, I'd go a monitor any day :)

• ice likes this

#163 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:42 PM

They are no longer with us!!

#164 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:41 AM

WOAH that's awesome Johnno.

Im looking at stroking my 351 clevo in the XT, who built this for you?

i did most of it myself mate started when i was 25... and took 7 years... motor was built in the usa and shipped over here... worked out cheaper and better built with all new bits and come with all bolt ons.. although we did downsize carby from 1050 to 850 barry grant... makes it more streetable...

#165 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

Jules if you're looking for a top notch engine builder my good mate Mick is the bloke to see.

Let me know when you're ready to do it and ill give you his details.

#166 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

The new Woma's got their first meal on the weekend. They both sucked down a couple adult mice no dramas.

53DB57B2-CA25-44A0-9C7F-BC842A419374_zps

#167 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

Nice!  Never get sick of feeding snakes :)

#168 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

How do you guys defrost your feeders for snakes? I just chuck them in a warm bucket of water.

Ice- does he work for a shop or something, I been doing all my work with ierace automotive at the moment.

#169 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

I do the same, just a tub of hot water. I've found some of my snakes won't eat them unless they are completely dried after defrosting.

#170 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Same here, tub of warm water. All ours will eat them wet without any dramas luckily.

Jules he owns his own business and runs it from his home workshop. He's the only dude id use or trust to build engines for me and he's got more experience than most people I've met. He's a bloody top bloke too.

#171 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:42 AM

we try not to feed our snakes.... dont wanna encourage them to come onto our property... may get beheaded :)   :Rofl_3f:

#172 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

Yeah I just use room temperature water in a bucket.

It is my understanding that when the rodent is dry more scent particles an released into the air in comparison to when it is wet, there for the food item becomes more attractive to the snake. I tend to at least partially dry my food offerings, more through habit than anything else.

Edited by Peckoltia, 13 May 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#173 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

That makes sense.  I normally dry them off anyway as I use Pura chips and they stick to it more when the foods wet lol.

#174 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

Surprised you feed in the enclosure Ronny, we feed all outs in feeding containers (usually polystyrene esky box things) otherwise they tend to get food aggression every time you open the enclosure and no risk of substrate sticking to the food item. Seems to work really well for us, you can pretty much reach in and grab any of our animals without getting struck at. The moment they are lowered into the tub they go into feeding mode and try to kill anything that moves, good fun :)

#175 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

I've always fed my snakes in their enclosures. Never had an issue.

If I open their enclosure and they don't smell food, they don't strike.

They've ingested a bit of the Pura chip every now and then but with proper heating it isn't an issue either.  They don't eat in sterile environments in the wild so I'm sure they can handle a wood chip here and there.

#176 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

Yeah i agree about the wood chips, never been too fussed about them eating a bit of roughage. I just like to keep ours as cage friendly as possible, worked a treat on one of our carpet pythons!

#177 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

I do both, feed inside out and out in a feeding container. I haven't really noticed a real difference in the attitude of my animals.

I would think it would be a good practice to get into if you did have a particularly cage defensive animal/food orientated snake.

#178 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

I don't think there are more food orientated snakes than aspidites lol.

All the aspidites I've kept have been puppies until they get a scent of food haha.

#179 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

I have to agree with you mate, the womas are like calm little puppydogs until they smell food. Even when they are chockers after a big meal they still strike at anything that moves. Carpets can be pretty bad as well, we used to have a female stimmy that was a bit of a handfull during and after feeding too!

#180 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

I find all my snakes are snappy after a feed. That's one reason I don't like moving them to feed them. I don't want to handle them after they've eaten lol.
Try moving a BHP or olive before and after a feed once it's smelt the food lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users