striping of fry
leave to hold full term

Show results

#2 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2003 - 05:31 AM

The problem is that i used too... :rolleyes

But have now relize I shouldn't, more new comers should learn that its better leaving them to spit naturally. :good

#3 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2003 - 05:42 AM

I have on occasion stripped a fish because I needed the space or was worried about Calcified eggs, etc...

But I would rather leave them in a "floaty" to spit full-term.
Plus it so cool to see em gobble up all the baby's when you get to close to the tub:good

#4 Lee Hodge

Lee Hodge
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2003 - 05:48 AM

I also occasionally strip the fish if they have held too long or for other issues. But as maz said, i usually place in floaties.

lee ;)

#5 geemaril

geemaril
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2003 - 04:58 PM

it usually depends on the size and species of fish as to whether stripping is nessecery. also it depends on whether you are trying to get the highest yield possible to make money (ie strip the fry) or if it is just a well kept fish that just happens to spawn and theres no desire for profit (release naturally).
if done properly by someone with experience stripping the fry from most species will lead to a higher survival rate. personally i wouldnt even consider stripping the eggs from a holding female as this method usually has a much higher mortality rate compared to stripping fry.

also another option that wasnt on the poll was separating the female away from the rest of the group and then letting her release the fry naturally. this is what i believe to be the best method of getting fry but its really up to the owner and their preferences.

L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users