Photo

How To Set Up A Saltwater Tank?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

Edited by Sarah Jayne, 03 January 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#22 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

i bet u do, all you do is make fun of them dry.gif

#23 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

#24 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

every post i make you always have something to say, like my tanks are to small, which they arent

#25 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

#26 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

Nano tanks can be very easy and beautiful to keep, it's been said all ready but have a look on masa and you will find some very good info.... You don't need a skimmer for a nano tank but it's a great idea to have some water on hand for those quick changes. I have successfully kept 2 small nano tanks for the last six months now and have no trouble at all, I put a small airlift skimmer in the reef tank for the added bioload and it's working perfectly, the main thing is regular water changes.. I have been doin a 50% water change every week, the other thing I found helpful is the API test kit, very basic, but it does everything you need to get started...
The best advice I can give is to take small steps and be patient, the whole tank becomes a living organism and should be treated accordingly...
Small tanks can be excellent features and if setup right can be a great addition to your collection smile.gif if you wanna talk marine with someone who's keeping marine PM me anytime.... A lot of people are quick to offer advice on things they know nothing about!!!

#27 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

There is no easy way with Marine. Especially when you entre the world of corals. Nano Marine tanks can work, many have done it successfully but it does take a lot of work and maintenance. It is easier if you are just looking at a fish only system. Once you look at coral's Things get into a different level of difficulty. Water Chemistry, temprature and Lighting all become crittical. Coral's are less tolerant to fluctuations in water quality and chemistry. You need stability and no disolved methabolic waster, which is why coral tanks need a protien skimmer. Nano tanks are to small for them, which means to compensate you need to do lots of regular water changes with stored water at the same levels as the tank. Marine Tanks take many months to run through their cycle's, cure and stabilise.
High intensity lighting is required for the majority of corals to survive. These are generally not found in normal small tanks.
The very best advice that has been given to you through the majority of your posts is to do the research before hand. It doesnt matter if you have kept the fish, the type of system before. The advice is the same; Looking into it before hand will save you hasstle and costly mistakes.
There are two ways of learning, 1) learn from your mistakes, and my preference 2) Learn from other people's mistakes.
Either way learning is all part of the fun of the hobby, Option 2 just means it works out less costly and keeps your enthusiasm up with more successes than failures.

Tony

#28 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

How's your lil marine tank goin man. Any new pics.

#29 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

have upgraded to a bigger tank now, 2ft x 1ft x1ft and added a few more things

will throw some pics up soon

#30 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

Upgrade. How big was the original tank ??

#31 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

I think it was 20L, new one is actually 2ft x 45cm x 1ft

#32 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:56 AM

Sweet look forward to new pics.

#33 walks

walks
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

I found a small air powered protein skimmer on eBay, cost me $20 champ. Bout the size of a coke can and about a coke can and a half tall ;-)

Walks

#34 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

some updated pics

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users