Getting Back Into Marine - 5ft Tank Journal

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Hi folks

I'll be getting back into having a marine tank very very soon. It will only be a FOWLR (Fish only with live rock)
Below is the list of equipment I'll be using. Feel free to advise.. biggrin.gif

Display Tank:

Tank will be a 5ft L x 18" D x 30" H tank (buying it from a fellow member). It already has a built in weir/overflow

Display Lighting:
My trusty Haiyang 5ft T5 LO light unit (will be changed to LED lighting - 2 or 3x 120w LED units)

Stand:

5x18 pine stand. I use a piece of black cloth to cover the stand to hide equipment that's underneath the display tank

Hood:
None

Sump:
48x15x14 – Sump is being designed at the moment.

Support systems:

System Water: Will be mixing my own

Display Water circulation: 3-4 Tunze Turbelle 6045

Return Pump: 5000LPH sump pump (no idea on brand, included with the display tank

Skimmer: Deltec MCE600 (will be run in the sump)

I'll update with pics and journal as soon as the tank is here.

Cheers!
Kevin

Edited by golden_dase, 04 March 2011 - 05:32 PM.

#2 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

Sounds good Kev, check out the vortex pumps that Veba's stock instead on the tunze's. Much more aesthetically pleasing.

#3 Paddy

Paddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

Yeh Check them out Kev biggrin.gif Great units

#4 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:21 PM

Most of the parts I'm getting are secondhand from a friend who closed down his tank... biggrin.gif

The Tunze are $XX... whilst the Vortechs are $XXX.... sheesh! tongue.gif

Edited by golden_dase, 01 March 2011 - 03:30 PM.

#5 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

not going to use natural salt water?

#6 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:36 PM

Hmmm Tunze vs. Vortech. Reliable, upgradable and ugly vs. Pretty, broad flow and discouraging failure rates out of warranty.

I'll be watching Kevin to see how it goes smile.gif Remember the pics!

#7 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

No Nico, I'll be mixing my own. Have done it in the past with great results. smile.gif

I've also been told that the Vortechs are noisier than the Tunze... from the same person that had both running. Looks like it'll be Tunze wavermakers then... biggrin.gif

#8 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

I used to run a tunze turbelle or something on my RSM130, was ok, then it died, now i got an MP20 and crap tidal waves lashen out the edges of the hood!!!! have had less detritus build up and my sps corals are doing so much better.
My mate runs tunze and has had a bit of trouble with em (2 wave boxes melted within a year, warranty claims though)

IMO, Vortech is the solution.

Edited by Jules, 02 March 2011 - 11:38 AM.

#9 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for sharing the experience Juls. I've been reading mixed reports/experiences with Tunze & Vortech. My friend has both and reckons Vortechs are better too, But are noisier. The marine tank will be sitting in the dining/family room, so noise levels is an important factor. The prices I'll be paying for the Tunze is not much so I am seriously thinking of giving them a go. biggrin.gif

#10 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

i have tunzes and to be honnest i wouldn't change, either way there is issues. its now down to personal choice. I have seen a vortech working in person but i couldn't hear it over the overflow( badly setup)

#11 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

laugh.gif Funny you should mention the noise, last night my girlfriend said your tank sounds noisy today and last week my mum said it is annoying that winding sound....
there is a bit of noise, but not as bad as a cannister filter vibrating on the base of my stand of my other tank............ dry.gif

#12 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

i have a vortech mp10 from brand new and its real noisy. i have had to have it replaced once (under warranty) already. i bought a secondhand tunze that looked like crap and it was dead silent and ran like a champ... but yeah they are ugly lol. in fish only you wont need the fancy modes anyway, so go the tunze i say!

#13 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

I'm planning to change the new marine tank from FOWLR to mixed reef, because the following tank shots (from MASA) have inspired me!

So, I'll be changing from T5 LO to LED lighting, to cater for some corals! biggrin.gif

Edited by golden_dase, 04 March 2011 - 05:27 PM.

#14 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

Are you going to run a skimmer? It would be an advantage to have a decent needle wheel skimmer.

#15 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

lookout ofr the slipperery slope of wanting SPS coral reef that will take all ur money and time lol

#16 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

Tell me about it... $2.5K for a DIY LED setup for a 6x2x2 SPS in the works... rolleyes.gif

#17 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:09 AM

Simon, I'll be running a Deltec MCE600, as stated in my list of equipment. biggrin.gif

Nico, I'm shutting down my breeding set-ups so will have the resources and time for the new marine project. I'l also be having mainly hammer corals coz I love the "flowing" effect! wink.gif

Kieren, LEDs have come down in price. I'm getting 3x 120LEDs at an awesome price... tongue.gif

Edited by golden_dase, 06 March 2011 - 11:18 AM.

#18 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

Yay, the tank is here! biggrin.gif

Tank (lit with my current Haiyang 5ft T5 LO light unit):

Overflow:

Will spend the weekend cleaning the tank, and also playing around with pvc tubing to find a way to stack liverock... lol

And for something different, instead of the usual coral sand, I'll be using Krystal Black Sand for a different look! wink.gif

Edited by golden_dase, 11 March 2011 - 02:52 PM.

#19 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

Hey Kev if you remember the Black sand I had in my tropheus tank. that is now available if you want it. Lots cheaper than crystal black.

I also have a small metal halide you can have.

Edited by highlucks, 11 March 2011 - 03:26 PM.

#20 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

Yay! Abit of progress.. biggrin.gif

I used some pvc tube/pipes to make "pillars" so I can drill holes in rocks and stack them properly.

Pics of PVC pillars:

Pic of Krystal Black Sand. This stuff looks sooo awesome when seen in person!

Tomorrow I'll be grabbing some "dead" liverock from a mate and will drill holes in them so they can be stacked into the PVC pillars. Give me a few days to work out how to use the drill properly.. haha! laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

P.S: FYI Ollie, I used 25kgs (5 bags) of the substrate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users