Photo

First Salt Tank

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

To give you an idea i don't use ratings any more. I go for the amount of times a power head will turn over your tank water. I have used a 6055 on a 40L tank before, it was heavily turned down but it worked. Its all about what your trying to keep.
Big issues with vortechs that have been brought up, people are seeing the magnets in their wet sides swelling after a year or two, plastic threads stripping and the nuts undoing themselves. Im not saying tunzes haven't been with out their own problems, when the nano series first came out the C brackets had a issue of snapping off.

As for expense, With tunze you only buy the controller once (and each controller can control 8 pumps of any size as long as they are controllable), with vortech each pump has its own controller hence why they are a little more expensive.
I have used tunzes for years and can only comment on them personally, they are imo the best marine pumps around. Yes they are a little bulky but they are also silent. I have seen plenty of mp40wes in action and man they make a drone when flat out.

#22 nickflood69

nickflood69
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:13 AM

Youve got a good point there neakit with the controler doing multiple units. I did find people were comenting on the noise of the vortech. Thanks for the advice.

#23 nickflood69

nickflood69
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

so putting it out there. what is the best overall looking reef? black back glass, blue fading backglass, or seethrough all the way round? ive googled images but i cant make up my mind.

#24 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

good call on the tunze Simon smile.gif I like black Nicko but its personal choice mate smile.gif

#25 nickflood69

nickflood69
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

Must admit i do like the black makes all the colours pop.

#26 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:30 PM

i myself prefer blue but each person is different, some people use vinyl on the back instead of paint. i have read some where that another person has made up coloured perspex backings (single colour) and change them as they feel.

#27 nickflood69

nickflood69
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

thats not a bad idea. where would you find coloured perspex?

#28 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:46 AM

Mate just get a thin sheet of ply from bunnings and cut it to size, then you can paint a few to fit different tanks smile.gif couple o bits of tape and there ya go smile.gif

#29 nickflood69

nickflood69
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

hey fellas so i was bored today, always dangerous words around fish. anyway made a jazy little evaporation topp off unit outa one of those 25ltr jugs and a windscreen washer motor off a car. baught a powr converter to turn 240 back to 12 running 7.5 amps.think the washer motor runs about 5amps anyway its a bit more convenient thant doing topup cup by cup lol or just got too much time on my hands.

anyway the whole thing only costs about $40 for converter $30 for jug from bcf $10 for washer motor and say another $5 for switch and bits and pieces if you already have the tools. so for $85 or so i can have 25ltr on standby with topup at the flick of a switch. oh yeah it runs at about 1ltr a minute so probably only for those nano keepers out there. otherwise a bigger pump would be needed. completely unneccesary but i like tinkerin lol hope you like the pics

http://i1094.photobu...69/IMG_2749.jpg
http://i1094.photobu...69/IMG_2754.jpg
http://i1094.photobu...69/IMG_2757.jpg

Edited by nickflood69, 26 August 2011 - 05:12 PM.

#30 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Love a DIY bro smile.gif nice job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users