Cost Of Heating A Pbass Pond

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

Hey All,

How much money would I be looking at for heating a pond (around 2Mx1Mx1.2M) for peacock Bass, would it even be possible keeping peacock bass outside in Perth?

I was thinking of having a trio of Pbass, letting them breed and raising the fry. Also, is it better to leave the fry with the parents until a certain time, remove the fry as soon as they hatch or can they just live with the parents until they grow out of the tank?

Cheers

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:08 AM

Thats nearly 2500 litres. Maybe alternative heating methods would be the way to go. Trying to use big aquarium heaters outdoors in winter will be like ice skating up hill...
better off sheltering the pond in a shed or garage, insulating the crap out of it, then heating the water wont be so bad.

#3 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

Thanks MM.

Would rather not have to build a shed, however.

Is there another large cichlid/tb/oddball that would be more tolerant of the temperatures in Perth?

#4 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

G. brasileinsis

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

I cant think of any big cichlids that could go the winter. Our winters get too cold for most big fish.
Part of the reason we cant keep many species that can cope with our winter weather is for bio security reasons. If they cant survive, they cant recruit and become the next redfin perch in local waters.
There are people on here that have kept i think it was JD's or texas' in ponds over winter. Mind you I dont reckon they would travel too well for a long period of time in those conditions.
The most tolerant tb I know of is the murray cod and some of the other murray darling basin species like tandanus and silver perch... Not exciting fish but the cod does get big and are great fun to keep... Problem is you have to keep them on their own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users