Explain What S/f Means For This Eel??

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Limes

Limes
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

http://aquaticfish.c...el-sf-60cm.aspx

S/F in the discription....what does that mean? Also anyone know how eels are that big, tank size ect, know the obv things like amazing escape artists like... Make Houdini look like a joke ect...

#2 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

I think it may be short fin

http://www.nativefis...n.au/sfeel.html

Graeme

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Definitely short fin.

#4 Limes

Limes
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

Yah so it is xD after looking at bulk websites about them, I'm def in love they look so funny looking.... But unable to find the tank size for them, any assistance :0?

#5 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

Slippery f--ker.

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

slippery fairy :)

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

They grow to plus 1 meter, not sure how long it takes them to get that big though. Personally I think they get too big to keep in a standard sized aquarium (even 6x2x2). I have wanted one for a while too. I couldnt put him in my big tank he would have escaped through the sump or through dodgey lids.

#8 Limes

Limes
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Crushing my dreams man.... Crushing them good.

#9 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

Look, you could keep a younger one and see how it goes in a 6 foot tank... might not get that big. I dunno, there really isnt much info out there about aussie natives. I wanna do an article on here that people can add to just on aussie natives. Give it a go so you can fill in some blanks on short finned eels for me.

#10 Limes

Limes
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

Biggest tank I have is a 4ft.... So would need to find him a new home rather quickly. Bigger tanks are on the horizon so maybe I'll try then, seems to be a lot of hassle to get one into WA though. Haven't found a supplier that will ship them over here yet :(
Would be awesome if you did something like that though, be nice to have all the information in one spot, rather than good old "wiki" for sub par info half the time

#11 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

They come up on gumtree occasionally. Usually quite big though. Are you hooked on the idea of a native eel? Spiney eels are small and look pretty cool, not native but quite cool.
I have started the article In MS Word. Problem is it takes a lot of work.

#12 Limes

Limes
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

I had some of those, but I have about 2 inches of sand at the bottom of my tank for them to never ever ever ever ever be seen...
I wanted one of those cause it was a decent size really... Could be more "pet like"

#13 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:05 AM

Haha yeah fair enough Im not a fan of reclusive fish, may as well not have them. Well if you find a smallish one, give it a go. If you decide not to upgrade im sure there are plenty of people that would be keen to buy it.

#14 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

Hi

I used to have one in my swimming pool when I was a kid, tough animals. It lived in our salt swimming pool for about 18months until my dog got ahold of it when it ventured into the shallows of the water fall.

You actually don't need as large a tank as you probably think, they are fairly sedentary, especially as adults. If you have a 6x2x2 and start with a very young specimen, my guess is you will either sell it or it will die before it outgrows the tank. That is not a crack at you, or being morbid, that is often just how fish keeping is. But like always it is best to prepare for the eventual adult size right off the bat.

I've had a fair few of them over the years. Some have been great aquarium residents others not so much. Two in particular would latch onto fish at night time and twist like a croc, would leave some pretty nasty injuries on their victims. Not all are like this, and these two individuals will probably be in the minority.

They are easy to care for. Provide some good cover for them, provide meaty foods with good filtration and you will have few issues.

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by Peckoltia, 25 June 2014 - 10:55 AM.

#15 Limes

Limes
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

If I ever see one pop up I'll think about getting it... Young though so at least I can enjoy it for a year or two before I find it a new home :)

Hopefully being a new giant tank...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users