Photo

Small Tang Tank

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

if you want any leluepi or multies send me a pm.

phil

#22 effan07

effan07
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (cichlid4lyf @ May 19 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you want any leluepi or multies send me a pm.

phil

kk cheers man will do once I get the tank after year 12.
Thanks heaps for the help.

Cheers Evan

#23 Barramundi

Barramundi
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

When you're setting up your tank plan it around what you're going to get. ie if you want Neolamp. Multifasciatus, they are shelldwellers but like to have their shells over a sand substrate. they will excavate so that the shells all sit at the bottom of trenches & gullies. They're regular bulldozers - keep your filter intakes up high - so need to allow for that behaviour. Because they also defend their territory aggresively it's good to have a rock "escarpment" to demarkate the sand to the rock so the other species have somewhere to flee to when the Multi's will leave them alone.

Neolamp. Multifasciatus were my first Tang species, they caught my attention after watching the DVD "Jewel of the Rift" about Lake Tanganyika & watching a Multi all of 3-4cm attack the tail of a Cayman crocodile cos he didn't like him being there. After a month I was hooked, been a Tang devotee ever since!

One of my favourite tanks was when I had Multi's & juvenile Black Calvus in a 3x2x2 with a lot of success. 2/3 of tanks was sand, then a high rocky ridge down to limestone & coral area's to create caves for the calvus. the Multi's had their patch & the calvus had their refuge... it was great fun watching the Calvus stalking down the ridge line trying to hunt the Multi fry. Multi's breed like blowfish so some sort of fry control is wise otherwise they'll overcrowd their tank in 6-12months.

For sand I used pool filter sand which worked a treat, ask them to see the spilt sand so you can get a nice colour - whiter the better. Then I put several handfulls of small crushed coral through it to give it features & watching the Multi's moving it around was fun. Give the Multi's lots of shells too.

HTH's mate. Good luck with Year 12!

#24 effan07

effan07
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Barramundi @ May 22 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you're setting up your tank plan it around what you're going to get. ie if you want Neolamp. Multifasciatus, they are shelldwellers but like to have their shells over a sand substrate. they will excavate so that the shells all sit at the bottom of trenches & gullies. They're regular bulldozers - keep your filter intakes up high - so need to allow for that behaviour. Because they also defend their territory aggresively it's good to have a rock "escarpment" to demarkate the sand to the rock so the other species have somewhere to flee to when the Multi's will leave them alone.

Neolamp. Multifasciatus were my first Tang species, they caught my attention after watching the DVD "Jewel of the Rift" about Lake Tanganyika & watching a Multi all of 3-4cm attack the tail of a Cayman crocodile cos he didn't like him being there. After a month I was hooked, been a Tang devotee ever since!

One of my favourite tanks was when I had Multi's & juvenile Black Calvus in a 3x2x2 with a lot of success. 2/3 of tanks was sand, then a high rocky ridge down to limestone & coral area's to create caves for the calvus. the Multi's had their patch & the calvus had their refuge... it was great fun watching the Calvus stalking down the ridge line trying to hunt the Multi fry. Multi's breed like blowfish so some sort of fry control is wise otherwise they'll overcrowd their tank in 6-12months.

For sand I used pool filter sand which worked a treat, ask them to see the spilt sand so you can get a nice colour - whiter the better. Then I put several handfulls of small crushed coral through it to give it features & watching the Multi's moving it around was fun. Give the Multi's lots of shells too.

HTH's mate. Good luck with Year 12!

Wow cheers for all the great information Barramundi, love the idea of Multi's and Calvus.
Also what type of shell is best to use for the Multi's as I dont know much about shell dwellers though i have researched multies and apparently they like Neothauma shells can we get these.
Once again, thanks heaps for all the setup info and substrate info. Will use it for sure and any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Evan

#25 trofius

trofius
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

hopefully exams went well

In that size tank you are limited by the species, Trets, lol no way...I have my pair in a 3x2x18h tank, if it were two males you would need a 6 footer, aslo rule out leleui, and brichardi, unless that is all you want, also you could think about just, attenuatus, calvus, beuscheri etc all very nice fish.

I would, have a rock pile dividing the tank, and place 4 multis on one side, lots of shells, they will remove all the sand for you,

Pile the rocks about 15cm high so it presents a nice wall, but still use small enough rocks so a rock dweller can live there.

on the other side you could have a pair of brevis or occies, or caudopunctatus, no worries, calvus would work aswell, but they will hunt all the multi fry, very sucsessfully.

Within the rocks you could house maybe a small rock dweller, such as an Lepidiolamprologus attenuatus, very sweet looking fish, again these will hunt the multi fry., or caudos.. but both may steal the shells to live in.

As the tank is tallish maybe think about a 3-5 small species of cyprichromis, they will fill the upper body of water.

To do this you will need to have a canister filter atleast, as it is a small tank,, will need a good yurn over, and they will need a good allround diet, supplimented with brine shrimp or daphnia.
Weekly 30-40% water changes aswell.

#26 effan07

effan07
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the reply mate haven't been on for a while.
The exams went great, and the target of getting to uni is looking pretty easy, got an estimated TER ranking from school of 96-97 so pretty happy with that.
Thanks for all the reply's everyone
cheers Evan

#27 (Anthony)

(Anthony)
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

I have a small tang tank like that,
In mine i just have 2 pairs of blue occies,
Can be quit agressive towards territory.
If u have a piece of Lime stone dividing it u will be ok, Like what Trofius said
Have a descent amount of sheels on each side and good filtration.
Have fun with the choice of what to keep

Anthony

#28 effan07

effan07
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

thanks for the help everyone,
I was wondering what plants would grow best in a shelly tank, java fern? as I would love to have some greenery in there, what plants can survive the high pH range.
Any help would be great

Cheers Evan

#29 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

hey dude congrats on the high marks.

spiral valis grows well in a tang tank and thrives in the water conditions. If you want to see how it looks have a gander at my tang tank in the photo section. a word of warning though keep the plants away from the shellies shells. I put my plants near the shells and since the the N. multis have not been near them, instead of hanging around the bottom they are now up the top near my rock stacks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users