Photo

Stock Up Before March 2015!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

The notification from AI has given me a bit of a shake, i assumed that the larger wholesalers would have been working towards approved exporter supply certification at an early stage, thus avoiding most of the costs & testing in the long term. This does not seem to be the case & unfortunately my knowledge of the requirements to achieve this is limited but must be pretty stringent. Hopefully the testing will produce negative results in our beloved cichlids over some time & allow them to be removed from the required test list in the future. Sadly wild caught & small import rarities are the most affected. Top shelf discus also spring to mind, with any luck farms such as stendker will get a clearance certificate.
At this stage a good stock up of species & opportunity for the local breeding of fish becomes the priority.
This action will also greatly reinforce the need to maintain quality & up the fight against the current trend of not worrying about crossbreeds. Even peacocks must now be really carefully selected as new blood will be very rare.

#22 deliriouz

deliriouz
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:28 PM

I'll all ears to group buys of rare apitos and wild bettas. I hope discus won't be too badly curtailed as they are freaking hard to breed and maintain good form and color.

#23 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

Another kick in the guts coming at the end of the month with AAE/Qantas Freight upping all freight rates between 50-250% for live fish transport... will have a large effect on fish/coral etc pricing

Cheers

Pacco

#24 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:49 PM

Oh for goodness sake! Ok so who can I use as a point of reference to write a grumpy letter? I love writing letters and demanding a response. I especially like doing this with government departments. The trick is to ask for their reason in a way that they can't give a typical government response (AKA bum steer)

#25 deliriouz

deliriouz
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

If I wasn't earning a packet, I'd be giving up the hobby. I don't know how young kids in the future are going to want to take this up as a serious hobby - rising costs of freight, power, and quarantine in addition to draconian import restrictions are killing it.

#26 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

Thats the idea, they want to kill it. It makes their job so much easier.

#27 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

Edited by Michael the fish fanatic, 05 October 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#28 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

Both of these issues have nothing to do with Fisheries....

Cheers

Pacco

#29 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:41 AM

what you should all be thinking is - i will get all the breeding stock i need and start breeding all the stuff thats going to be iridi tested... so we dont need to be importing too much of it....

and secondly we should all be going over to toll for freighting fish shortly... they do accounts and are cheaper with some things but will be much cheaper than qantas freight in a month or so...

all these increases with qantas is to pay for their mis management in the past :(

#30 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

Would be good if the Commitee gets on board with this, make it part of the BAP

Could extend the BAP to include fish other thank just cichlids and catfish too

#31 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:10 AM