Photo

Quitting Smoking

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

So I have decided I'm sick of smoking cigarettes so I quit the other day, going it cold turkey. My calculations show that I will save myself $2,340 a year, that means I can drink an extra 52 cartons of emu export a year haha or maybe save it and get some zebra plecos.

Eithier way that's a heap of money to burn a year and the prices are only going to keep going up, not to mention they changed the taste when they changed the packets.

#2 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

Funny thing is.... I gave up smoking 4 years ago.
I saw the prices of a carton the other day..................... $150 WTF!!! Thats madness! My first packet of Longbeach 20's was $2.80 and I was buying cartons for around $20. That was around 20 yrs ago.

Much better off to quit, I feel so much better for it. But word of warning, if your not naturally thin, dont take up another habit like eating kitkats when you fel like a smoke. 20kgs later..

Easy to put it on in 6mths, it has taken 3.5 yrs to take it off.

Stick with the cold turkey, its the best way to do it. Takes around 2-3 weeks for the cravings to stop.

#3 Guest_kobi_*

Guest_kobi_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

18 days cold turkey ,

#4 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Lol I had my last one on Sunday, never have weighed more than 60kg so I hope I'm naturally thin. If I put on 25-30kg I might have to start again haha. Everytime I feel like a smoke I just grab another beer and go clean up my yard, was hoping my property would be clean by the end of the year but with two kelpies tearing around I'm sure I will never get it completely clean.

#5 shane78

shane78
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

Good luck mate I havnt had a fag for bout 3 months now, went cold turkey but like az aquatic said watch your weight Ive stacked on a heap o weight, Im hopeing its just sympathy weight for my pregnant missus haha, but seriously try not to snack instead and the cravings last awhile I still have random cravings.

#6 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Haha cheers, I think I only really quit to make it easier for my missus to quit because she is pregnant, though I know of people that smoked through pregnancy and had normal babies lol so I couldn't care eithier way. But I decided I like money more than smoking!!

#7 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

I wouldnt count on the babies not being affected, weather it's physical or mental there is going to be damage.
As for quitting; good on you man.. But if you or your wife ever feel the need to smoke again I suggest getting an E-cig each, for the sake of your health and wallet.

Jackson

#8 shane78

shane78
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Yeh I looked at those but cant see it actually kicking the habit of putting it in ya mouth

#9 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Yeah we got some mate but you can't quit when you still pretend to smoke ay

#10 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Worked for me and plenty of others on the forum.. I found the actual act of smoking to be the hardest part to kick.
You can get a good starter kit on vapebar.com for the price of two 50g pouches that includes the 'cigarette juice' of your choice.
Each to their own, good luck quitting man.. Just think of all the awesome equiptment/fish you'll be able to afford.

#11 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Well done. I am not a smoker but can certainly see how the addiction can take hold. Looking forward to seeing the $2,340 fish tank next year!

#12 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

I just checked out the vapebar, does that contain nicotine?? I have something sort of similiar, the thing I got looks like a cigarette and the butt comes off and it has silver foil in there, I don't think it has nicotine and it tastes a little funny and when you draw on it the end glows red and you exhale smoke. I have the box at home, think it's called health cigarette, come to think of it I have plenty of cartridges left. Maybe I'll use them until it all runs out.

#13 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

It doesn't as nicotine is illegal to sell in Aus unless the government is taking a huge majority of your profit..
However, you can order nicotine online at many different online stores (upto $1000 worth at a time) which you mix with the e-juice if desired,
Personally I don't like to use nicotine as I don't see the point in quitting if you still consume nicotine.

Your e-cig sounds like its the cartomizers type where as mine are all clearomisers.

Attached Files

#14 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

Took me three years of trying to really trully beat smoking and genuinly be able to say im a non smoker. No way my kids are gonna grow up with a dad that smokes or a dad that died of lung cancer due to smoking!

Good luck to you, quitting really is the best thing you can do.

#15 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:06 AM

thumbs up for quitting everybody... my mate gave up the fags and has gone straight now for a year and has a new missus and a baby too :) 

if you really want to give up - cold turkey is the way as it tests your will power.... i heard of good ways.... im allowed a cigarette after i do the dishes , scrub the toilet , clean the bathroom , bleach the shower , mop the hallway and kitchen , vacuum the lounge , dust the curtains etc etc said no man ever hahahahaa 

#16 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

I used patches. They saved me tearing anyone's head off, and made me quite ill if I smoked with one on. Only did that once.

24 hour patches. Every week or two I'd cut them smaller. This was before vaping, but if I was doing again, I'd still do it that way.

Amaaazing dreams on nicotine patches: can recommend.

I still miss it occasionally. Everyone tells me I was way more relaxed back then, and be prepared to pork up a bit (or a lot) when you give up.

#17 Mononoke

Mononoke
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:59 AM

Stick with it guys. I lost my dad to tobacco 18 months ago, its evil evil stuff. I used to smoke, gave up cold turkey 12 years ago. The companies who take your money for tobacco care about nothing but themselves, and I mean NOTHING!

#18 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

You can add me and Eileen to the quitters club we both gave up just  over 3 years ago. She used cold turkey I went with the pill (worked good) we both admit that sometimes we feel like a smoke

The benefits of quitting  are amazing  list is Tooooooooooooo long  to type out

Good Job  stick with it

#19 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Gave up 12 months ago last week. Cold turkey except for a bit of nico gum. Much easier than you think once you get your head around it. Stick with it & remember if you crack & have that cig, it wont give you the relief you seek, you will just feel dizzy & sick- then 10 minutes later will want another one.
Good luck man.

#20 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

On March 3 1993 at 6pm I went to put my lotto on, the girl behind the counter stepped back because of the tobacco smell so I decided to go cold turkey. I didn't win lotto but I haven't touched a cigarette since that moment.

Cold turkey is easy if you really want to give up the smokes, if your pressured into it you will have a hard time.

Cheers and good luck Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users