Photo

Canister Filter Question.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nvrenuf

nvrenuf
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

I have looked over the forum not really finding my answer.

I have a 5x 2.5 x 2.5 tank coming estimated around 600L

I currently have a 1000lph Cheapish canister filter on my current tank which i am going to use on new tank.
but also thought to have a Second external filter to help with filtration and also act as backup.

I have been recommended the ehiem 2228 pro @ $399

any one seen these cheaper anywhere ?

Also is it worth the money staying with the ehiem. As i have seen cheaper ones with same outputs, ie cheap china ones up to the Aqua one brand
which are all half the price.

So just wanted to know what people use here. What comparisions people have done them selfs etc

Thanks

Tim

#2 jcivic

jcivic
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

I think with ehiem you get peace at mind, knowing you have one of the best brands on the market with 3 year warranty. I have used the cheap china filters and just the overall feel and build of them you can tell it's not even worth the money u spent. I'm just learning now, in this hobby dont opt the cheap alternative, it may come back and bite you. Look on places like eBay for cheap prices.

Ps: go into a store like vebas, majority of display tanks are using ehiem filters and bits

#3 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

Vebas will be your cheapest local store for Eheim.
Personally I think the cheaper brands are hit and miss, depends if you pick a good or dodgy one. I run Eheim almost exclusively now on my 6 tanks, I have one Aqua One CF2400 left that runs together with an Eheim Pro3 2080 on my big tank.

It's not just the filter you need to take into consideration, but also the media you get with it. All Eheims I've bought come with good quality media, which is not the case with a lot of the cheaper brands.

#4 nvrenuf

nvrenuf
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

ok cool, Well that is way to go then, keep my china spec one as second filter and backup, and run in conjunction with the ehiem.

now in regards to models, What model you be recommended ? for 5 ft tank large nearly 600l

going to have estimated of 30 to 40 cichlids.

tim

#5 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

You have a couple of choices: either the Pro 2228 or the Pro2 2028.
Out of these I prefer the 2028 because:

- easier priming
- one lever shutoff
- both hoses are the same size (different sizes on the 2228)
- flow viewing window and indicator

They both hold the same amount of media and come with the same type of media. I bough a 2028 recently from Vebas for $375 if I remember correctly.

Both are rated for 600L.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users