No replies to this topic

#1 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:33 PM

Common Name: Sometimes sold as “Blue Neon”
Scientific Name: Paracyprichromis nigripinnis
Size (cm) M/F: 10 cm for both sexes
Habitat: They are a low light preferring species and are often found swimming upside down in caves. Hence this should be reflected in the aquarium set-up. Females tend to school together, whilst the males prefer the dark cave structures. The rock work should provide for this behaviour. Darker tanks will best display the colours.
Temperature Range: Not critical, however temperatures below 24C above 28C are not welcomed.
Min. Tank Requirements: In the wild, these fish are found at deeper levels than other rock dwelling species. Ideally they should be housed in at least a 150L tank, but will prefer a much larger environment (tank length and depth are more important here than volume).
Food: Staple diet should include micro invertebrates; therefore Sera Flora supplemented with live brine shrimp is suitable.
Breeding: Maternal mouth brooder; most batches average 12-15, although I have had 21-28 in older specimens. The females is coaxed from the group by the male to a predetermined cave territory, where spawning occurs mid-water. The eggs are released in a vertical position and the female catches them in free-fall as they pass by her nose. They are fertilized outside the female’s mouth as the male fans the milt toward her. Females hold for about 21 days. New born fry immediately take microworms and baby brine shrimp. Most fry that are released into the group are allowed to survive.
Temperament/Notes: Very peaceful, hence they should not be housed with aggressive substrate spawning rock-dwelling species. They are best maintained in groups of at least 10, more if possible. I have found that equal sex ratios work best for me. I have P. brieni and E. descampsii living harmoniously with the P. nigripinnis group. There has been no occurrence of cross-breeding to date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users