Photo

Rainbow Trout Stocking

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hey all I have a 2000L Aquaponics pond and have 4 yabbies (little, about 5cm) and 15 silver perch 10cm.

How many trout I could fit in as well 6cm trout

Cheers

#2 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

What size growbeds have you got?

The limiting factor is filtration, not tank size generally

#3 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

1x 300L circle bed connected to the pond.. Just got a fern in there at the mo... What plants are good for filtration and can grow in winter/ all year round?

Cheers

#4 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

The plants only remove nitrate.

The media converts ammonia and nitrite, same as a fish tank filter.

General rule in one fish per 20L of filter media.

So you can handle 15 fish up to 700 gram.

You are stocked pretty right, however the Silvers wont be eating in the winter so you could probably get away with throwing some trout in there.

I did that last year, I can handle 75 fish (1500L of grow bed) but had 50 SP and 50 RT.

Make sure you have plenty of air pumping through the tank, trout need super high DO.

Good luck finding them, there was a shortage this year and the ones from Golden Ponds (if there are any left) people had trouble getting them to eat.

Andrew

#5 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

Thanks! Yeah I heard the supplier for Perth lost all his trout due to a disease. I have built a 500L garden bed and will soon connect that up to the tank. I'd like to get another pond with Murray Cod.

Cheers

#6 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

They lost them due to the heat over summer.

#7 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Ah ok cheers. Could I possibly add any more yabbies?

#8 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yeah, no worries.

#9 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated

#10 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Theoretically, all fish, particularly aquaculture species like Trout need to have translocation permits/approvals.... This means that the trout can only be obtained and translocated from "clean" supplies.
If anyone has disease issues with trout or other aquaculture species like silver perch should contact fisheries to question the supply - if the disease is based in the hatcheries like the Pemberton Trout Hatchery, then why are they distributing millions of them into the south west rivers???

#11 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

There was no disease Oli.

The high summer temperatures killed off a large number of the trout supplies making a shortage in Perth this year.

Pemberton trout are known for their quite high temp tolerance, however exceeding 24 degrees still kills them off pretty quick.

You don't theoretically need a translocation permit for AP fish, you DO need a translocation permit for them. :)

It is free and easy to obtain and lasts a year.

I was lucky that mine was still current when I had my fish delivered so didn't need to apply for a new one.  

#12 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Planted some Jalapeño seeds in the garden bed on Monday

#13 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

Grows well :)

jala.jpg

#14 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Awesome. I put the seeds in because I heard they take and grow a lot quicker than seedlings or plants.

Cheers

#15 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

There was no disease Oli.

The high summer temperatures killed off a large number of the trout supplies making a shortage in Perth this year.

Pemberton trout are known for their quite high temp tolerance, however exceeding 24 degrees still kills them off pretty quick.

You don't theoretically need a translocation permit for AP fish, you DO need a translocation permit for them. :)

It is free and easy to obtain and lasts a year.

I was lucky that mine was still current when I had my fish delivered so didn't need to apply for a new one.  

Funny how the Pemberton Hatchery had EHNV...then back in 1999, they used an "improved" test to help detect this virus, and it 'disappeared' from the hatchery.... just before the paper came out requesting public comment on the further releasing of trout from the hatchery.... how wonderful huh?

The term "theoretically" was for "all fish"..... Im still looking into this policy - when comparing it with the federal translocation model, where it states that the intention is "not to have a zero tolerance effect" - I find the current policy (and the discussions I have had so far with some officers), somewhat against the federal intentions....

For trout, I fully understand.... but translocating a fish with a known problem.... well, that's just a minor issue isn't it?.......

When the Murray cod over east being kept at 27C that die from iridovirus while making no mention of temp related stress - but trout do - I get the feeling big brother has a lot of explaining to do.....

Edited by Mr_docfish, 02 June 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#16 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Sorry Oli, you've lost me here :)

Doesn't EHNV only affect small percentages of rainbow trout?

It looks like it is quite devastating to Redfin stocks tho, maybe they are releasing it on purpose!

Unfortunately I can only answer questions on obtaining RT, a TL permit, and acceptable stocking densities, the rest goes over my head

#17 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

Trout are resistant to EHNV so are possible carriers - the hatchery gets tested annually... EHNV is an iridovirus - same as the one that caused the deaths in the murray cod that was blamed on dwarf gouramis....

Edited by Mr_docfish, 02 June 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#18 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Actually - looking into it a bit deeper - the trout hatchery in question has been trying to control Mycobacteria marianum (fish TB) which from my knowledge can be controlled at temps below 24 and above 31C... If the temp goes to 24C, it could break out, particularly since the fish are stressed at that temp too...
The only way to find out which disease it is to a hobbyist, is to look at the symptoms - bloating is EHNV, going black is TB...

#19 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

You do realise that we don't get our fish from Pemberton yeah?
They are bought from PTH as eyed eggs and grown up by people with aqua culture licenses, who then on sell.
There are 3 places that I know of.

Unfortunately we can only go off them every year.
If they say the high temps caused a shortage we have to believe them.

#20 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Sorry Andrew - not sure what business you are in - apologies if Im treading on your toes.... Just still miffed with a particular Gov Dept and the way they conduct themselves.... One rule for all, and a different set of rules for their friends.... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users