Filtration Options

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hi All,
setting up new tank. Problem is that cabinet only has about 45cm clearance (i.e. room for a 40cm external cannister). This leaves me in somewhat of a dilemma as to how I filter the 500L (4x2.5x2) tank that sits on top, as most filters with this sort of capacity are by design, quite tall. Of course, I could:
1. Build new cabinet
2. Leave filter outside of cabinet.
but I like the current cabinet as is and would prefer to house the filter inside the cabinet and leave everything neat & tidy.

As I see it,my options are limited to:
1. Two smaller filters (eg Eheim 2215). Not preferred - 2 sets of hoses, 2 filter services, etc
2. Fluval G6. Probably out of my budget, but looks like a beast.
3. Biggest possible canniser supplemented with large internal filter.

Are there any other low-profile options to the Fluval G6? Have I reasoned this thru reasonably well, or is there another option/s I have not considered.

Thoughts much appreciated. Setting up for Malawi's.

Lee

#2 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

what bout getting a drop side filter built into the tank corners. one in each rear corner, the tank is 2.5 wide so plenty of room and it would run of a decent air pump which would fit in the cabinet easy

#3 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

Plenty of space for a sump, then you can keep all the equipment out of the display and hidden away nicely in the cabinet smile.gif

But I do like the internal filtration idea... You could have a section of the tank at the back around 4 inches wide which will act as an overflow box, dump a couple of pumps in there with the hose running back into the main area of the tank, fill the boxed area with some good filter media and that's pretty much it.. The water will trickle into the media, be drawn through to the bottom where your pump/s are and recirculated back into the tank. You can also do the reverse with the pump outside the filter box and plumb the tank so the water is drawn from bottom of the filter area and pumped into the tank directly. The upside to this is easy access to the pump if any trouble arises, the downside is a power head sticking out like a sore thumb...

If I haven't explained that very well, sorry, it's late. smile.gif .... But the point being there's a few options for you depending on what you are prepared to build/spend smile.gif

Cheers
Rigs

#4 Barf

Barf
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

If you dont have a hood, what about a couple decent size HOB's? (apart from aesthetics, good filters and you keep your tank space), if you do have a hood get the saw out and cut the back to suit.

#5 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

That's a good point you made riggs bout using a pump at the bottom of a single section drop side internal, if something goes wrong with it the whole thing needs to be pulled apart. To much of a pain, a twin section would be the go for a pump in a drop side filter. But better yet use air, change the filter wool every month and it's fool proof , if the air pump packs it in easy fix it's in the cab. And use a 3D background no one will even know you have the filters in the corners. Just something to think about good luck mate. Cheers.

#6 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Sumps arent good in wooden cabinets either, you can get moisture buildup.

You can connect 2 or 3 small cannisters via one inlet pipe to reduce piping.

#7 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

Actually really like the idea of two small canisters sharing the same tubing for someone of my current skill level. Sounds like the less room for error in stuffing up a perfectly nice tank. However, got a new grow out tank that I haven't set up yet. Will try the internal filtration idea on this one. Cool experiment, and if I make a mess then I haven't wrecked a display quality tank. Cheers for the ideas.

#8 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

My cabinet didnt have room for my pro 3 but it did have good 100mm of clearance at the bottom, so i just got out my jigsaw and cut a great big bloody hole in the floor of it. I dressed it up with some ally angle from bunnings that I cut to 45 degree joins and it looks a million bucks and hides that monster canister behind closed doors. Might be something to consider also depending on the style of cabinet youve got?

Edited by ice, 26 April 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#9 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Haha - Ice, you are the man.

I also probably have about 4" of clearance under the cabinet. Simple but sublime solution. That is my action in moving forward.

Now that you've said it, I can't believe I couldn't see it my self.

#10 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Just make sure there's nothing structural under there before you start chopping mate smile.gif

#11 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Excellent - Done and plenty of room for the 2228.

Attached Files

• Attached File  F1.jpg   191.27KB   31 downloads
  • Attached File  F2.jpg   151.85KB   36 downloads

#12 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (ice @ Apr 26 2012, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My cabinet didnt have room for my pro 3 but it did have good 100mm of clearance at the bottom, so i just got out my jigsaw and cut a great big bloody hole in the floor of it.....

QUOTE (Leigh @ Apr 26 2012, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha - Ice, you are the man.

#13 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

Looks awesome mate, a job well done! Should wack a privacy panel around the bottom front and sides to hide it too! Mine already had it so was easier for me but I couldn't see what was under there when I was cutting smile.gif

Haha Daz, an ideas man hey? I love that movie... Classic!

#14 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

I like it and the best thing is if it leaks it doesn't leak inside the cabinet welldone.gif goodjob.gif cheers.gif Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users