Photo

Koran Angel Bully

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darren

darren
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

I bought some new fish yesterday, a med fox face and a med sailfin tang. But when i put them into my tank my koran angel started to attack my new fish, especially the sailfin. this fish has shown no aggression towards any of my other fish before
I turned the tank lights off and rearranged some of my rocks but this made no difference. I then placed the sailfin in a plastic aquarium inside the main tank for protection over night to see if the koran would get used to it and leave it alone. I left the fish like this over night and half the day today before releasing the tang back into the main tank. As soon as it was released the koran came after it.
I have now caught and removed the koran and he is in temporary accommodation
I also did a total remodel of my rock work to break up any territory in the tank.
The question is do i give my koran another chance in a few days or do i get rid of him. He is a very nice fish but if he behaves badly again it is a big job to catch him ( will have to remove most of my rock work again)
Any advice

#2 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

found this while using google 

Behavior Notes:

All members of medium and large angelfish species are aggressive toward their own kind, other angels and similar-appearing fishes and are ideally kept one specimen to a tank. Moenich offers comprehensive advice on mixing angelfishes. Sometimes adding them at the same time, moving around parts of the habitat, disrupting territories, or bringing in ever-larger specimens can successfully mix these angels. This practice is not encouraged unless you have other facilities for separating them, should relations sour.

In most cases other non-angel species are generally ignored; occasionally a Koran angel will become a bully, and require "rehabilitation" through removal or temporary isolation. Provide adequate hiding and escape spaces for tank-mates and observe your charges, as you should, daily.

#3 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

How big is your tank?

#4 darren

darren
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

6x2x2 with a lot of rock work

#5 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

i use to have a navarchus angel that was equally as much a pain.

any tang or centropyge (dwarf angel) would be harrassed, maybe a dominance or territorial thing, but in my opinion, sell the koran perhaps? as it may continue this too any fish that will be added to the tank.

#6 K.v

K.v
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

If you want to sell the Koran I'm in the market for one.

#7 newtonj

newtonj
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hi Darren, just came across this post. I bought the Koran from you back when you were having this problem. After having whitespot that night of the move I was able to treat him and bring back to full health. He and the other tank mates were healthy for a couple of months before I decided to add 3 more fish. I had totally forgot that the sailfin tang was a problem and I bought a sailfin tang, foxface and longhorned cowfish. I had the same problem because at the time I had no quarantine. That night I ended up setting a new marine tank with one of the old filters and moved the Koran on his own. but the next day all my fish started dropping dead without warning. turns out the new fish brought in a bacteria which ended up killing the Koran and everything living as well. Just thought I would give the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users