Dallas Buyers Club Vs Iinet

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:38 PM

Dallas Buyers Club movie makers hunt illegal Aussie downloaders

Australians who illegally downloaded the movie Dallas Buyers Club may have to cough up cash payments, with the studio behind the Oscar-winning film asking companies to hand over the identities of pirates.

But Australia's second largest ISP, iiNet, who defeated Hollywood in a piracy battle in 2012, says it will put up a fight for its subscribers.

In the United States, the people behind Dallas Buyers Club had already filed 66 lawsuits by June and targeted more than 1000 alleged people who downloaded the film via BitTorrent.

They were asking for settlements of up to $US5000 per offence, or more in some cases.

Now they're taking their battle to Australia, applying to the Federal Court that it have iiNet and other local ISPs hand over the identities of the alleged pirates.

Chief Regulatory Officer Steve Dalby told TorrentFreak that iiNet will oppose the move made by Dallas Buyers Club LLC.

"iiNet would never disclose customer details to a third party, such as movie studio, unless ordered to do so by a court. We take seriously both our customers privacy and our legal obligations," Dalby says.

iiNet does not support piracy, but it is concerned about the way Dallas Buyers Club and its studio Voltage Pictures will use the information.

n the United States, the people behind Dallas Buyers Club had already filed 66 lawsuits by June and targeted more than 1000 alleged people who downloaded the film via BitTorrent.

They were asking for settlements of up to $US5000 per offence, or more in some cases.

Now they're taking their battle to Australia, applying to the Federal Court that it have iiNet and other local ISPs hand over the identities of the alleged pirates.

rest of the story

http://www.smh.com.a...023-11a9qq.html

This is going to be interesting, but my question is why just iinet? why not telstra or optus?? if iinet loose this then expect a ton of other companies coming to aus to follow the same. 

Edited by Angelo, 24 October 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#2 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:10 AM

I asked Iinet a while ago what data they kept of their customers' activities. Their answer was reasonably detailed and if true, they would be able to give no information of use to the studio, as they did not retain it. I will be interested to see how it pans out.

They went after Iinet because they are smaller and do not have the resources of Telstra and Optus, and because while the big ISPs have knuckled under Iinet have resisted. They famously won a case a year or two ago in which they were ruled not liable for infringement carried on over their network.

Now we have this sort of rubbish looming as well as Brandis' ludicrous "metadata" collection for the government, theoretically in service to the war on dandruff/terror/ebola/scare of the month. I think it's nearly time to spring for a VPN and avoid at least some of this bs.

#3 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:11 AM

but arent they collecting IP addresses and matching them to the pirate?? but how are they going to prove that the person with the ip is the one who downloaded the file?? what if i had an unsecured wifi connection?? 

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

There is no statute law that we can be prosecuted under. It is a civil affair so for starters the level of proof required for them is a little less demanding.
But you are right Angelo, they can only seek damages from an individual, all that individual needs to be able to prove is that 1 or more other people had access to the computer/network and for all parties to say "dunno what you're talking about, I didnt download that movie and I dont know who did".

#5 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

I asked Iinet a while ago what data they kept of their customers' activities. Their answer was reasonably detailed and if true, they would be able to give no information of use to the studio, as they did not retain it. I will be interested to see how it pans out.

Iinet aren't keeping records on your downloads, but they have to record your ip.

Voltage pictures simply download their own movie on a torrent program and record all ip addresses in the swarm.
They then subpoena the users identity from the isp, filling a joint law suit against John Doe's of an ip list.

Due to our t&c's I cannot comment on my opinion of the owner of Voltage Pictures...

#6 Moses

Moses
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

Who the hell still uses torrents to download warez???

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

Me, doing it for years and now i havent really bothered working out a new way of doing it... if anyone has a better way please pm me a link or something.

Cheers.

#8 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

https://eztv.it/search/ this site is real popular for TV shows never had issues  ;)  ;)

#9 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

I was reading some articles about this... Sounds like Aussies are among the highest downloaders in the world.. I did read that Foxtel is getting on the bandwagon too, they want more people to be watching there networks than easy and conveniently downloading the show minutes after it airs in the states..

Sounds like a possible solution is making tv/movies available faster to Aus could help, I mean just one example is 7mate, they advertise ALL NEW episodes of ink master which is season 2, in reality it's at season 5 already.. Crap show but just one example of how slow we are to catch up

https://eztv.it/search/ this site is real popular for TV shows never had issues  ;)  ;)

Eztv is great!! :)

#10 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

Sounds like Aussies are among the highest downloaders in the world

Actually that is a figure plucked out of the air by Village Roadshow. No proof or verification. It's complete bs they make up to get Brandis in a froth.  I expect they say the same in NZ, the UK and Kazakhstan.

Don't trust assertions from people with a vested interest in their monopolistic practices continuing.

I find EZTV a bit slow on updates, personally.

#11 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:22 PM

so which vpn providers are some of you using? 

#12 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:05 PM

and guess whom is in bed with the Government none other  than Murdoch the owner of  pay TV  who has stated that Australians don't  need the NBN or anything as fast as fibre optics just to preserve his company and I think he said along the lines of Aussies downloaded the most episodes of Game of Thrones in the world :rolleyes:

#13 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:02 AM

well if one person downloads it using wifi in the city then simply sends everybody else a copy :) problem solvered :)

#14 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

I'm a huge fan of TOR, I don't like the idea of anybody collecting data about me doesn't matter what it is...

#15 ZOLTAN

ZOLTAN
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:18 PM

I just use a seedbox to go about my entertainment needs and avoid public trackers.

#16 DinPerth

DinPerth
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

I use a proxy server which auto changes the IP Address every 10 minutes. Been using it for years with no issues

#17 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:11 AM

duncan, that is something I would like to do.

not necessarily to hide downloading anything, but more so so people/companies etc. dont track me.

#18 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

lol this is hillarious, im gonna let all u guys enjoy your theories and im gonna sit back and laugh :P iinet is actually now the 2nd largest ISP in aus, they are taking on more then just iinet, they have sent subpoenas to MOST of the ISP's in australia, the goverment data retention stuffs being kicked to the curb, and iinets already beaten a MUCH larger company and won, just sit back and watch the media outlets blow it out of the water and try and scare people

#19 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:51 AM

It's not going to change my internet habits that's for sure :)

#20 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

Dallas Buyers Club piracy demands illegal:

http://www.afr.com/p...kr8XDJ4duKiK0OL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users