Photo

Help Me With This Ethical Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

My first car was written off by the 2010 hail storm. I used the money that I got from my insurance company and put in a couple more grand and bought a 2009 Dodge Avenger.

3 weeks into buying my new car I was at a party. In the morning I woke up to find out that a mate had got drunk and jumped on the roof of the car and had dented the roof in three places and scratched the paint. He never really apologised but I haven't made him pay for the ~$3k it will cost to fix as I didn't want to ruin the dynamic of our group of friends by making things awkward.

I'm mad at myself for not making him pay but am not sick of people not respecting other people's property.

My house has been egged a number of times, rubbish bins smashed, cars egged and shot up with paintballs... I have never done that shit to other people and never provoke shit.

End Rant.

#22 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Wow that would suck! I used to get my car egged all the time, then I moved.
Tip for everyone: don't live in thornlie...

#23 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

I live in a good area, but near mullaloo pub...

#24 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Anka @ Jan 25 2012, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3 weeks into buying my new car I was at a party. In the morning I woke up to find out that a mate had got drunk and jumped on the roof of the car and had dented the roof in three places and scratched the paint. He never really apologised but I haven't made him pay for the ~$3k it will cost to fix as I didn't want to ruin the dynamic of our group of friends by making things awkward.

I'm mad at myself for not making him pay but am not sick of people not respecting other people's property.

My house has been egged a number of times, rubbish bins smashed, cars egged and shot up with paintballs... I have never done that shit to other people and never provoke shit.

End Rant.

seems like you've made yourself a target....

from first post i assume he pulled in on the passenger side of your car... i woulda yelled at him straight away... if he apologized and was truly sorry and offered to pay for the damage - i would say thats ok be more carefull next time please.... if he ignored you and walked off i woulda slipped over to the passenger side and opened my door into his car with a little more force than he did.... and get out and say ooops sorry mate... guess that makes us even then!!!!

just i drive an old 74 F100... and it def leaves more damage than it receives!!!!

you can try pissing on his door handles and shitting under his windscreen wipers... all funny sh#t.... lol..... 4 flat tyres is fun too..... if it has hub caps fill them full of either fish carcasses or some vegetables (carrots are good for this) and when they start to decay they stink.....

my pet hate is c#ckheads that drive around with their fog lights on... the law states you can only use them in extreme weather conditions... eg fog , pissing with rain , and in the case of fire/smoke

#25 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (Anka @ Jan 25 2012, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My first car was written off by the 2010 hail storm. I used the money that I got from my insurance company and put in a couple more grand and bought a 2009 Dodge Avenger.

End Rant.

With nice mates like these who needs enemies.

#26 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

bigjohnnofish fog lights are yellow so if they aren't they are driving lights and are allowed. As for the op, i used to have a 04 xr8 ute, all but one dent in that car was caused by expletives in car parks, I was curtious when i drove and parked i always parked at the back of a car park so people would stay away but it wasn't enough apparently, after someone stoved in the rear right of my tray i didn't care, expletive em all, it wasn't long after that happened i did my first stationary burnout cause someone was being impatient and obnoxious to me so i made them wait and burned some rubber in the meantime. Meat heads are everywhere i now drive a 92 hilux if they run into me they will cause more damage to them than me. Its sad how people get jealous of someone having a nice car.

#27 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (Neakit @ Jan 26 2012, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bigjohnnofish fog lights are yellow so if they aren't they are driving lights and are allowed.

That's news to me and mr police man would agree. "Daytime" driving/running lights are only supposed to operate during the day (when your headlights are off) making you more visible to others (like Audi style lights). Foggies operate when your lights (at least parkers) are on (factory not retro-fitted). They're foggies (wide beam) regardless of colour and the symbol on the button you use the activate them also suggests this. Using any auxiliary lighting that causes other drivers to get distracted (especially at night time) is likely to get you booked. Same applies to those super-bright irritating rear red fog lamps.

#28 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Anka @ Jan 25 2012, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I live in a good area, but near mullaloo pub...

Chuckle. That's not a good area then :>

#29 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

It's nOR so it's all good :3

#30 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

trust me daz, I have been through all the adr's, "Fog" lights are yellow and mounted down low cause thats the best possible way to get light out in a fog. Any other combinations are called driving lights or cornering lights.

#31 crazyD

crazyD
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

Found this on the NRMA site was interested because I fit these aftermarket fog lights to new and second hand vehicles at work and they are called fog lights and are white/clear not yellow but sum factory ones are yellow which makes sense as that should give u clearer vision but then again they say blue is the colour of choice for smoke visibility

The correct uses of your vehicle's lights

Not everybody knows the rules when it comes to using the various lights on modern vehicles. Can I use a fog light when it's not foggy? What's a daytime running light? When can I use high beam? We help clarify what's OK and what's not.

Fog lights vs. Driving lights

Front fog lights and driving lights are often confused. The main difference is in the light pattern. They are separate to the main headlights.

Fog lights

Designed to improve visibility of the road directly ahead of the vehicle in fog or hazardous weather conditions where visibility has been reduced. The Australian Road Rules state that they are not to be used at any other time.
Front fog lights can emit either a white or yellow light. Rear fog lights must emit a red light.
Rear fog lights are installed to make a vehicle more easily visible from the rear in fog, mist or hazardous conditions and should be wired independent of the car's other lights.
Fog lights have a low, flat, wide beam that is meant to illuminate the road below the fog or mist.
Switch off your fog lights once visibility is clear as they can blind other drivers.
Driving lights

Have a powerful beam that projects well down the road and are used to supplement high beam, especially when driving in country areas.
Should be wired to only operate when high beam is used.
Headlights

Must be switched on when driving between sunset and sunrise
When there is not enough daylight to be able to see a person wearing dark clothing at a distance of 100 metres.
High beam

Used on any road, even if there are street lights
Must be dipped to low beam when a vehicle coming toward you is within 200 metres
Must be dipped to low beam when driving 200 metres or less behind another vehicle.
Daytime running lights

DRLs are bright, white, forward-facing lights that improve the forward conspicuousness of vehicles in the daytime
Usually activated automatically when the engine is running
DRLs are the same as the main headlights. They must be aimed correctly so that they do not impede approaching drivers' visibility.
NRMA Motoring & Services commissioned a study of DRLs in 2003 which suggested that they should be standard on all vehicles as they could save lives and prevent injuries by increasing vehicle visibility.

Extreme conditions

Heavy rain, fog or snow - put your headlights onto low beam. High beam in fog will reflect the light, making it difficult to see.
In hazardous conditions, the law permits you to turn on your hazard lights to help others see you.
More about Fog & Driving lights (PDF 165KB/2 pages)

#32 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

thanks for that crazy-d !!!!

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif to you neakit !!! poster_oops.gif no offence intended just having fun being a keyboard hero!!!!! lmao....

#33 Bernie

Bernie
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

I reckon to answer your dilemma, definitely say something.

You're lucky in that you're in the position where you can say something. Most other people don't have that priviledge.

About 2 years ago, I had just gotten my brand new I30 - 3 weeks later I was in the Whitfords car park and when I got home I noticed someone keyed the back of my car (either a key or a knife). I was gutted because it was brand new and I really wanted to keep it looking brand new. No note and no one saw it so I couldn't really do anything about it. No point calling insurance cuz the excess will cost more than to just fix it.

Then about 6 months after that, someone scratched the front of my car (ie. they must have been backing out and hit my car on the way through. So now I have that scratch too.

Besides one stupid dent on the back (which you can't actually see unless you know it's there and then look hard) I've not done anything to my car and it should be in perfect condition.

But because of the disrepsect of some people and the fact that most people don't take responsibility (or force others to take responsibility) I have to pay for it myself which I honestly don't agree with.

If you damage someone's car, take responsibility.

If you do see someone damaging someones car (either yours or someone elses) then say something. Get them to take responsibility or write their licence plate down and leave it for the person whose car is damaged. There's nothing worse than coming back to your car after being away from it and it's damaged. You saw it happen so say something - simple as that.

#34 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

even if you see who damaged your car and have their rego number... coppers arent interested in helping you... your on your own its in a carpark... and very rarely will an insurance company go in to bat for you and chase someone from their rego number.... unfortunately you have to suck it up and wear it!!! i know its not fair but life isnt very fair at times either.....

im not one for keying a car in any situation.... much prefer brake fluid over the paintwork!!!! smile.gif if someone has really pissed me off!!! wink.gif

#35 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:59 AM

I think you should say something to the guy at the time. give him a chance to apologise or pay for the damage.

[sarcasm]

If he fails to do this, I think you should quietly follow him home to see where he lives, then come back in the dead of night and key his car.
After that I think you should set it on fire, and then his house too. I think you should stab him repeatedly in the face while screaming about the damage to your car, just after you have killed his wife and family and raped his cat in front of him.
Next, you should go to the funeral and learn the identity of his friends and family. Armed with this knowledge, you can track them all down and execute them one by one, to avenge this vile man's unspeakable misdeed.
They will all die horribly, but justice will have been served, and none of them will ever scratch your car again.

The car must be protected. The car must be preserved in its pure and virginal state . The car must not show any damage or sign of aging, for this would make it unclean. It is not a practical means of conveying you from place to place while slowly polluting the planet and increasing our odds of cancer; it is your identity: your way of standing out and expressing yourself as an individual in a cold and uncaring world. It must be worshiped every Saturday morning with a waxy sponge. You must rub all its intimate places and make them clean again. Pristine. My dear, noone will ever touch you that way again...

[/sarcasm]

Alternately, get over it (it's just a car),& leave some space when you park. People are crappy sometimes.

#36 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

Rofl_3f.gif
the poor cat
Kleinz you crack me up man

#37 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (Kleinz @ Jan 28 2012, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you should say something to the guy at the time. give him a chance to apologise or pay for the damage.

[sarcasm]

If he fails to do this, I think you should quietly follow him home to see where he lives, then come back in the dead of night and key his car.
After that I think you should set it on fire, and then his house too. I think you should stab him repeatedly in the face while screaming about the damage to your car, just after you have killed his wife and family and raped his cat in front of him.
Next, you should go to the funeral and learn the identity of his friends and family. Armed with this knowledge, you can track them all down and execute them one by one, to avenge this vile man's unspeakable misdeed.
They will all die horribly, but justice will have been served, and none of them will ever scratch your car again.

The car must be protected. The car must be preserved in its pure and virginal state . The car must not show any damage or sign of aging, for this would make it unclean. It is not a practical means of conveying you from place to place while slowly polluting the planet and increasing our odds of cancer; it is your identity: your way of standing out and expressing yourself as an individual in a cold and uncaring world. It must be worshiped every Saturday morning with a waxy sponge. You must rub all its intimate places and make them clean again. Pristine. My dear, noone will ever touch you that way again...

[/sarcasm]

Alternately, get over it (it's just a car),& leave some space when you park. People are crappy sometimes.

HAHAHAHA
Mate you have talent, ever thought of a career in stand up?
Nice work, although I dont agree with raping the cat tho, those things have sharp claws and teeth.

#38 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

Good one Jason lol so did I
Nothing wrong with a nice hairy puss puss

Edited by Fish-lips, 28 January 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#39 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

here kitty kitty kitty

#40 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

one word,,hammer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic