Marron And Stuff

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hi guys,

Not A Lot Happening Here So I Thought I Would Post A Couple Pics Of My Shiny New Blue Marron.
These Guys Are in A 7x2x2 With Some Juvi Silver Perch They Are All Destined For My Pond Shortly.
On That Subject Im In The Process Of Building a Pond Masterpiece Which i Will Post Here When I Can Be Arsed.
I Kinda Want To Give It A bit Of An Oddball Theme... Not Sure What Occupants I Want Yet. Any Sugestions?

Attached Files

#2 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Don't know if your aware but Marron are excellent escape artists :) my old boy put a bunch in his pond (concrete pond with rocks all round edge and waterfall) they all got out and were found dead riddled with ants. I then put some in my ponds ( plastic with side walls bowed inwards thinking that would stop them climbing out which it did instead they climbed up the power cable from the pump and the hose running from the pump to the filters....couldn't believe it neither could my dog when they startled him a couple times while he was sleeping by nipping his tail lol

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Yeah i had heard they were veritable Houdini's. The Tank they Currently Occupy Is Covered... Not Real Sure How im Gonna Keep Them In the Pond. Probably Going To Try Some Kind Of Netting Or mesh.

#4 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

If they aren't over crowded and the water quality is good they shouldn't move, Marron usually only "walk" when their living conditions are compromised. My girlfriend and I put a few juvies her mums pond and a year later once they all grew up a bit and started competing for territory they kept finding them walking around the garden at night, one got in the pool and one even managed to make its way into their bedroom, it woke her up at midnight scuttling around on the wood floors!

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Im Loving The Escaping Marron stories. Bloody Funny Stuff.

#6 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

We have found yabbies heading from one dam to another, they were single file, and half way there. The distance was around 1km between dams

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Androo, were they Dead or alive?

#8 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Alive. There were a few hundred I'd say from memory. My old man said he had seen it a number of times. Normally after moving them into different dams. I'd say we have around 15 or so dams and we tend to move them around. We would catch them and any that were too small to eat, preg/ female at quick glance we would throw into a different dam. And then each year for a week we would catch soley for the purpose to repopulate some dams.

But this group had been placed in the dam the night before we found them.(can't guarantee that they were all the same ones we put in there) but they were going home

#9 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

That would be crazy to stumble across.

#10 AXIS

AXIS
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

friend of mine had some in his backyard pond.

they would come out and tap their claws on the backdoor like they were trying to come into the hosue

the missus made him get rid of them when she saw them pressed up against the glass.

:P

#11 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

My Mrs would probably put them in a pot if they knocked on the door.

#12 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

the missus made him get rid of them when she saw them pressed up against the glass.

:P

"I just want to freinds..." Said the Marron

#13 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Any one got any ideas for unusual pond inhabitants? Must be non predatory. 

#14 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Can you keep mudskippers in a pond or is it to cold, open etc

#15 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

Arent mudskippers a brackish critter? Anyone know of them living in fw?

#16 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Yes they are brackish. There are a few Internet discussions talking that people have them in a fresh water situation. I just thought there may have been a middle ground that you can have Marron and skippers at. Could be wrong, back in my box

#17 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

I would love to give em a try as long as there was a chance it would work out... This could be interesting.

#18 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

http://www.fishchann...r-habitats.aspx

Even says tank mates as guppies, mollies etc

#19 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

There does seem to be some good information on mudskippers being kept very successfully in fw... definitly tjinking about trying them out if i can come up with a good setup... will be difficult because is only 1600 litres ;-)

In other news:
My marron have all moulted in the couple weeks that ive had them... I consider this cool so i have added some pics of a redundent marron shell... It is for sale... Offers under $100 wont be considered. Maybe i should auction it at the PCS meeting.
Cant. Im not a member... Bugger, guess ill have to join up.

Attached Files

#20 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

cool pics :)

my mate has 100 acres out back of parky and has a huge dam on his block bang in the middle of the property... anyhow when we get first big decent rains in winter the bigger marron all get out and start walking to the next dam... this is when we have a huge feed... pick up over a 100 marron at 30cm or bigger usually... 

quick question can we be busted for eating marron out of his own dam out of season ? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users