Photo

What (Native) Fish To Get For My Pond?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jjm66smokey

jjm66smokey
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

Finally cleared out the front pond (fibreglass) and got rid of all of my daughter's gambusia in the process.

Worked out its volume is somewhere close to 900 litres.

Substrate of sand and left over ADA Amazonia after the Ammo spike from the autumn.

Pond used to grow Vallis, Bacopa, Foxtail, to go in my tropical display tank and planted cichlid tank indoors.

As well as to soak a combination of driftwood and limestone for use/sale. 

So water mostly quite hard and often heavy with tannin.

Some ramshorn snails, dragonfly larvae... no mosquito larvae (yet) but the wrigglers will come soon, just as it warms up.  Frequent debris from Camphor pylorrus tree means there's always some disintegrating vegetable soup in the bottom.

Water circulation via 300L/Hr pump feeding fountain, no filtration other than the sponge in front of the pump impeller.

Water pH around 7.2.  Temperature up to 33 in summer, down to 5 in winter.

And occasionally the dog goes into the pond cos (a) the gate to the pool is closed; and (B) she likes help me aquascaping.

So what cheap, low cost, environmentally friendly SMALL fish can I put in to survive the weather extremes and other issues?

... Guppies didn't survive the cold. 

... Goldfish didn't survive my cat having his friends over for "training seminars" ... "see, if you sit next to the pond, you can splish the water and these orange and black things come up and go GLOOP GLOOP GLOOP at the air, then you try and hit them on the head; it's 2 points if you hit them and 10 points if you hit them hard enuff they stop swimming and start floating. But don't eat them cos they taste horrible"   .....  or at least that's what I think "Miaow, Miaow, Miaow".

... thinking some sort of perch?

Suggestions please.

#2 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

... Goldfish didn't survive my cat having his friends over for "training seminars" ... "see, if you sit next to the pond, you can splish the water and these orange and black things come up and go GLOOP GLOOP GLOOP at the air, then you try and hit them on the head; it's 2 points if you hit them and 10 points if you hit them hard enuff they stop swimming and start floating. But don't eat them cos they taste horrible"   .....  or at least that's what I think "Miaow, Miaow, Miaow".

This Is Some Funny Sh**

Maybe You Can Put Some Of That Clear Coriguated Patio Stuff Ontop Or Some Eggcrate To Stop The Cats And Birds :)

Edited by Sir_Anubias, 28 August 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#3 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

suggestions for a small species would be pygmy perch, galaxias or murray river rainbows (M. fluviatilis - a little larger). Non native rosy barbs or white cloud minnows.

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Rainbowfish or pygmy perch for small fish. Pygmy's are supposed to be tadpole friendly if you are interested in having frogs around. There are differing opinions about tadpole safety with rainbows but most people reckon they are ok too.

If you are looking for something really cheap ($5 each 10-15cm) and somewhat more delicious than the others you could chuck in some juvi silver perch and see how they go... They do get kinda big though.

OR you could wait till summer and start growing a gloriously huge Murray Cod... You will probably have to watch the cat though because initially the cat might eat the cod but eventually the cod might eat the cat. You will definitely need to plan ahead with a cod though 

#5 jjm66smokey

jjm66smokey
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Hmm.

Small is good. 10-15cm too large.

Galaxias seem to look ok.

What's likely to be (with only low stock levels unless/until they breed) self sufficient food wise, with plants + invertebrates?

Was thinking about a couple of tandanus cats but if they're in the pond THIS year, then by next year I'd be wanting to convert the swimming pool to a fishtank.

Hmmmmmmmmm. 60,000 litres. Arowana, arapaima, saratoga, red-tailed cats.... oooh the possibilities ... dunno how they'd go with the dog going swimmies tho???   

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Tandanus are a really cool fish but they are quite big... compared to Galaxias anyway. Tandanus might not be to exciting in a pond with their drab colours.

Personally I would go with Rainbows if you want little fish. There are heaps to pick from and all of them fairly tolerant of changes in water conditions.

#7 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

Hmm.
Small is good. 10-15cm too large.
Galaxias seem to look ok.
What's likely to be (with only low stock levels unless/until they breed) self sufficient food wise, with plants + invertebrates?

Was thinking about a couple of tandanus cats but if they're in the pond THIS year, then by next year I'd be wanting to convert the swimming pool to a fishtank.
Hmmmmmmmmm. 60,000 litres. Arowana, arapaima, saratoga, red-tailed cats.... oooh the possibilities ... dunno how they'd go with the dog going swimmies tho???

If you let your dog swim in the pool with the arapaima then your dog is lunch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users