Photo

Getting Things Straight...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:24 PM

Simple question can I feed White Crane "Super G" with PSB to my fry (males and females)?

I have heard lots of different stories, but does it really have testosterone or have a chemical to enhance the production of it?

Was thinking of using it to pick out the males from females so I can set up a definite colony, to grow out till they are bigger!

I will be selling my Ngara's soon please be patient!

Don't worry Paul I have saved some very fine looking or well coloured ones for you haha!

One who throws dirt is loosing ground ~Confucius

#2 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:35 AM

Yeah you can feed super g but I personally don't like it, I'm all for good water = good colours.

#3 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

Yeah you can feed super g but I personally don't like it, I'm all for good water = good colours.

Will it harm the females or make them unable to breed?

#4 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

I've heard rumours that it can make females infertile and also make some of the girls look like boys coz the colours are so bright.. This is purely anecdotal evidence though, Ollie aka MrDocfish, is the one to ask, he's an absolute fountain of knowledge when it comes to foods :)

#5 hollis

hollis
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:48 PM

if you feed super g to all your fry it will do the opposite of what your hoping . it will make them ALL colour up making it impossible to tell male from female .

the  thing super G is good for is identifying unknown species of female  ( which you already know to be flame tails ) , making non dominant males look like dominant

males by improving their colour, or making females look like males in order to sell them easier .

if you want to identify male/ female fry best to be patient , the males will soon show colour . sometimes shining a torch on the fry without aquarium lights on can show up a bit more colour in potential males . If you have another small tank keep removing the dominant male so the next in line  (sub dominate ) will colour up and so forth

#6 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:45 PM

if you feed super g to all your fry it will do the opposite of what your hoping . it will make them ALL colour up making it impossible to tell male from female .

the  thing super G is good for is identifying unknown species of female  ( which you already know to be flame tails ) , making non dominant males look like dominant

males by improving their colour, or making females look like males in order to sell them easier .

if you want to identify male/ female fry best to be patient , the males will soon show colour . sometimes shining a torch on the fry without aquarium lights on can show up a bit more colour in potential males . If you have another small tank keep removing the dominant male so the next in line  (sub dominate ) will colour up and so forth

Ok cool I might just use it for some of the nicest males!

If I remove the dominant males into a fry saver in the same tank would the next couple of males still colour up?

Edited by LexAgate, 23 September 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#7 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

Patience young fella let the fish do what fish do

This is dam good advice if I asked the question and got this answer I would be more than happy and follow it makes perfect sense

Just my 2cp worth

Cheers

#8 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

Fish won't breed while being fed the G.
Weeks after the feeding of G is ceased, breeding returns back to normal.
Does not make fish sterile,,,,, though a fish fed solidly on G for over a year may be effected, likely due to internal organ damage.

Yes G can be used to preview sex,,, but it requires measured technique, not just chuck it in and check it out.

You must use ADP super R or G. (tiny little squiggle noodle like shape).
Feed the fish this every second day but just a smidgen so they get 20% adp and 80% their normal food in a feeding.
Inspect VERY closely after 3-4 feedings and onwards,,,,, all the first fish to get a slight blue hue or tinge to their gill plates or anywhere on body will be male,,,, as males are always first to respond in color change.

After about 2-3weeks of feeding in this fashion,,, which ever ones have basically no or minimal color change are likely females.
Probably 4cm onwards fish need to be.

But if you have time and space,,, as said above, be patient and allow naturally to take place.

Edited by Buccal, 23 September 2015 - 09:48 PM.

#9 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

Might let the males color then just before selling feed them the super G so they look a bit nicer! haha 

#10 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

WHY  people find out ya doing that and they will become suspicious of you ..... what is he trying to hide .... whats going on there  etc etc    not worth the cost  just let nature  do its thing

#11 benno87

benno87
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

Was gonna say that sounds pretty dodgy lol

#12 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

Oh ok well I got the food for free I might just let my dad feed it to his display tank haha, don't worry I'm not dodgy  B)

#13 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

Nothing dodgy about it if your honest about its use, as Lex has shown.
But the g is usually used on designer peacocks (location mixes),,,, marble peacocks, dragon bloods/fire fish.

Excellent for displays when used as a tool and not as a staple food.

#14 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

these lucky boys will get it. Haha, should all turn up really nice!

One who throws dirt is loosing ground ~Confucius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users