Photo

Murray Cod

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

Just wondering how big a Murray Cod will get in a reasonable size fish tank, how long will they take to outgrow a 6 foot fish tank, if it can, and can you get them in perth?

#2 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:40 PM

I've seen them in Perth for sale recently aquatix maybe

they are cold water I've kept them in the past as they are cold water they are not fast growers compared to Barra for say
but can get huge they have been recorded at 1.5 meters in the wild 1.7-1.8 meters
I've seen one at a aquarium that was 2.0 meters

In light of the so called tank buster restrictions they may be the next big thing and a good choice for cold water
I would like to see t.he government start large breeding programs for theses fish and ban all recreational fishing captures

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:40 AM

Max size ever recorded was 1.8 and it was wild caught.
Biggest I have seen in a home aquarium was a touch over 800mm it was about 8 years old.
If you want one try the sponsors if they dont have them, livefish.com.au

They are hard to find in perth not impossible though. Only available Dec through to Feb usually. Ive never seen anything bigger than 15cm sold on gumtree and only rarely. Best bet is to get a 3cm fingerling.

How long it would take to outgrow a 6x2x2 is not really an exact science. Growth, especially over several years, is dependant on water quality, diet and temp (low 20s being pretty well ideal). The fish will continue to grow and go ok at 600mm at 4 - 5 years in a 6x2x2. However, I think that is a disgraceful way to keep a fish and would consider a 6x2x2 to be too small by 500mm which should take 3 - 4 years.

Check the ANGFA section there is a heap of stuff on Murray Cod and other Aussie Predators there.

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:48 AM

Ruffaz, NSW and Vic govs do have huge breeding/restocking programs under way and have had for a while. I agree it would be great to see a temporary ban on rec fishisng of Murray Cod from natural waterways.
At the moment murray cod fishing is pretty heavily regulated.

#5 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:21 AM

Alright thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users