Photo

Golden Cichlid

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HvnzFire

HvnzFire
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:26 PM

I have a 50 gallon aquarium. I have 5 golden cichlids and a pleco in this tank. I was wondering what other fish (cichlids included) can go with these guys?

I also have a 10 gallon with one Red Zebra male in it. I have had him about 6 years. I was also wondering is I could put him in the 50 gallon as well? I have had him a long time so I don;t want to lose him.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:24 AM

Gday

Do you know the scientific name for the golden cichlids? Is it Melanochromis auratus? Just to make sure we're on the same page smile.gif

Daz

#3 HvnzFire

HvnzFire
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:48 AM

Yes the golden are also called Melanochromis auratus. The Red Zebra is also called Pseudotropheus estherae.

#4 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (HvnzFire @ Dec 4 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes the golden are also called Melanochromis auratus. The Red Zebra is also called Pseudotropheus estherae.

Actually red zebra's are call metriclima estherae.

You should be able to add a few more species to that tank. depending on how you have it setup. Do you have rock or other structures to create territory. Your best bet will be to add more Mbuna species.

#5 HvnzFire

HvnzFire
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:36 AM

I seen that too but the one that looks like mine is was called Pseudotropheus estherae then had Red Zebra under that? I don't really know what to think about that just trying to be as accurate as I could be.

So any suggestions as to what kind exactly to add? And do you think it would be safe to add the Pseudotropheus estherae in with the Melanochromis auratus?

Yes I do have a few things in the tank but I will be adding more. Thank you for your help biggrin.gif

#6 Blackcats

Blackcats
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:02 AM

I've found M.auratus to be very aggressive towards each other especially when the males grow and start to change colour.
I certainly would not add any other Melanochromis species or anything that looks similar.
All other Malawis should be okay as long as there are plenty of hiding spots.

Harry

#7 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (highlucks @ Dec 4 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually red zebra's are call metriclima estherae.
QUOTE (HvnzFire @ Dec 5 2009, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I seen that too but the one that looks like mine is was called Pseudotropheus estherae then had Red Zebra under that? I don't really know what to think about that just trying to be as accurate as I could be.

Some of the Pseudotropheus species got renamed approx 10yrs ago, so you're both kinda right wink.gif

So any suggestions as to what kind exactly to add? And do you think it would be safe to add the Pseudotropheus estherae in with the Melanochromis auratus?

I agree with what Harry has said, avoid putting in more Melanochromis. Other malawis particularly mbuna as Cam has mentioned will be fine as long as the aggression is split up evenly. You can do so by adding more fish (at least 15 adults would be ok a tank your size) and proving hiding places to give the fish a rest when needed.

What's avail in your local area? You're from the U.S. yeah?

Daz wink.gif

#8 elusiv101

elusiv101
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:50 PM

i have elec yellows in a 6 foot tank with a sump system so what fish can go with these discuss and such mabey clown loach?? i want the tank to be a hive of activity all diff looking fish any susgestions

#9 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

dont put discus in with your electric yellow. clown loaches will probably be ok.

if you want different looking fish and alot of activity get more malawi cichlids, and some tough catfish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users