Photo

Help Me Quick My Koi ARe Dieing~!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

Ah but ammonia reduces the fishes ability to uptake oxygen ...

Anyway glad cause located and hopefully remedied.

Still not happy with a temp of 23 for koi but ...

Cheers Oliver - always good to read your input and very rare that we have any differing of opinion.

#22 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

Differences is what makes it interesting, I enjoy the difficult ones like this one, I do not think we will ever find out exactly what went wrong here, I personally think there are a number of things that contributed at the same time, not just the ammonia, so no one is right or wrong.
I thought that it was nitrite that caused difficulty in the uptake of oxygen, but then any form of stress will increase the oxygen demand.

Here is another point in the temp vs Koi; what temp do you think the koi are being kept at in Singapore? Some of the best koi in the world are being housed there in 'Accomodations' (there is a land shortage in Sing), you can 'Rent' a pond to keep your koi in. The average pond temp is around 26C give or take depending on the season and pond. But in general, they are best kept in cooler waters, so higher temps can be considered a physical stress.

Hope Haydn is having more success, let us know what is happening when you can.

Cheers
Oliver

#23 Haydn

Haydn
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:41 AM

ok well all thanks for your input an help atm we havent had any more fish get sick in the past 3 days. we have 2 of 3 that got the problem 3 days ago, one of the koi was a real fighter he jammed him slef in a spot for like 2 days an now he is perfect perfect balance and all hopefully the other 2 get better tongue.gif.

#24 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

Nitrite more but ammonia will reduce oxgen uptake available.

The temp is an interesting one - might have to research that one a bit. maybe whats good in Singapore isnt here.

Quite frankly i think if you add that high bioload to a 4 day old pond, aquarium, whatever, then u should expect losses unless you are changing large amounts of water very frequently.

#25 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

Also with ammonia the higher the temperature and pH, The higher the percentage of un-ionised ammonia ( The harmful part ) in the ammonia in the water. The reading that came up from the test kit may be ok at 18°C but fatal at 23°C etc.

This could have also contributed. Ammonia also explains why the smaller fish died first.

Jeromy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users