Clown Loaches Breeding

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Damo & Michelle

Damo & Michelle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

Fish list now amended....

OMG!!! CLOWN LOACHES ARE BREEDING..... Eggs all in my hollow rock!!!!! Yay!!!!!.... hmmmmm Price just went UP !!!!!! ;-)

#2 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

Got pictures?

#3 -Pete-

-Pete-
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

Sure its the loaches!?

#4 Damo & Michelle

Damo & Michelle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Wife says they have both been living in the rock and rubbing all up on each other.... She pulled the rock out of the tank today as she was trying to catch another fish that was for sale....when finished she was putting rock back in tank and saw there were eggs in there!!!... Of most are now spread around the floor apparently... NOOOOOO..... BUT.. Rock is back in tank and they went straight back into it, all rubbing over each other etc..... I though it was near impossible to get them to breed in captivity???? Am I wrong or is it just rare.....
Pure fluke if you ask me!!!

#5 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

Interesting damo but unless you get fry you can't be sure it was the loaches that have bred so you can't really sell them as breeders. Tumble the eggs to be sure first.

#6 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

your clown loaches breed? i thought clown loaches hadnt been breed in aquariums?

#7 Damo & Michelle

Damo & Michelle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

I thought the same... In saying that I have no idea about tumbling etc.... DOH !!! And Im away in the mines at the moment... Sheeeesh !!!! Wife said she will take pictures when they lay again... There isnt anything else left in the tank thay is breeding at the moment.. Dimi Comps are way too big to get in there !!!!! Must be theirs!!!.... surely??? Ill keep you posted!!!

Clown loaches have been removed from for sale list until proven they are breeding... Bowdy, if you want to check them out.. PM me and Ill give you home phone number... Talk to the missus about whats going on....

Edited by Damo & Michelle, 13 February 2011 - 04:18 PM.

#8 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Iv always been under the impression they have to be massive to breed.

Iv noticed you have already announced them as breeders laugh.gif

#9 Robbotheyobbo

Robbotheyobbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

could it have been the f/fins or the r/t`s ?

#10 Damo & Michelle

Damo & Michelle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

That was removed mate... lol.. that was just excitement getting the better of me!!!! Ill wait and see what happens.... I cant honestly believe myself as I havent seen it for myself... but wife is swearing black and blue.... we'll soon see!!! Any help if they are will be greatly appreciated... They would be lucky to be 15 cms only...

Red terrors..... I dont think they are mature enough.. the catties I dont know.... possibly.... but why wouldnt the loaches be eating the eggs.... they usually smash all eggs in the tank!!! Im as baffled as the rest of you!!

#11 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

I would remove all the other fish or remove the eggs or remove the fry just as they leave the wall with a syphon

#12 Damo & Michelle

Damo & Michelle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

Could I remove the rock with eggs on it?? Or will they instantly die upon leaving the water whilst transferring to another tank? I dont have another tank large enough for the dimi's or red terrors.... or synodontis for that matter....
Unless someone wants to buy them.... they are still for sale!!!!! LOL... (not the loaches)

Sorry administrators... Should we try and move this discussion to a more appropriate forum area???? lol

Edited by Cawdor, 13 February 2011 - 05:57 PM.
split topic and moved. Cawdor

#13 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

take them to a shop??

Edited by fish, 13 February 2011 - 06:18 PM.

#14 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:06 AM

they can be bred in a tank......

a mate of mine bred these years ago..... his adults were 20cm 15cm and a few ranging from 9-12cm.... have no idea which was male or female.....

we set the tank up with 8 powerheads - in a 5ft x 18in x 18in tank.... 4 powerheads up one end pumping flatout.... and 4 up the other end upside down... so it created a huge current down low and up high in opposite directions..... in the middle had a heap of that fake grass on the bottom fastened onto some wood and that was really about all there is to it....

woke up one morning and had eggs spread everywhere but mostly all between the grass in a slightly protected spot from the wood....

he removed the adults to another tank.... and about 7-10 days later he rang me and said he had fry.... that was the last i heard from him... love to catch up with him one day and find out if they grew up or not.... i think i was away working and something happened and we never caught up again... pity!!!

#15 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

You make it sound to easy johno wink.gif
Any updates damo.

#16 Damo & Michelle

Damo & Michelle
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

Not yet mate... Im away until 2nd March.. Ive asked the wife whats going on with them but they wont come out of the hollow rock... Not sure yet mate....

#17 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

any news?

very interested on this topic!!

brett

#18 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

What happened with the loaches damo.
Cheers.

#19 Damo & Michelle

Damo & Michelle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

Not sure mate... I got home but couldnt see anything... Missus dropped the eggs all over the floor... I dont think they have laid again so... at this point...Ill have to get Mythbusters out to investigate... You are welcome to go over and take a look mate... Drop that Blue Gene JD over... $15 yeah? LOL ;-)

#20 Damo & Michelle

Damo & Michelle
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:09 AM

#UPDATE#
Now Ive been home and seen what has been breeding in the rocks...... AND... As perceived by EVRYBODY (including myself) It is NOT the clown loachs....
I am now th e proud owner of a breeding pair of RED TERROR's !!!! YAY !!!!!

Damo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users