The Tanganyikan Project **PHOTOS**

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 oF1o

oF1o
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2004 - 08:31 AM

Hi all,

Now that i have the one tank (5x2x2.5) I am goin to have a lot more time and attention for the one tank after before having 7 tanks to look after. For this reason I want to have a challenge, so after searching the internet and other forums for other peoples' experiences, I have decided to set up a Tanganyikan community tank consisting of:
Tropheus bemba
Eretmodus cyanostictus "kapampa"
Cyprichromis leptosoma "tri color"
? something to dwell on the sand?

I am goin to set the tank up to accommidate every fish into their own territory or style of living. The tank is quite large so I think that there is enough room for the different fish to settle into their own territories.The rockwork will be a major factor and will be based on the style for the tropheus, then i will make sand areas and caves for the eretmodus, and some open water space for the cyprichromis.

Upon choosing these species I have had to look into the size of the fishes so I have started with small Tropheus bembas (4-5cm),will be adding soon larger Cyprichromis leptosomas (7-9cm), Eretmodus cyanostictus (6-7cm),

What I am hoping to achieve here is the beauty of having four different styles of Lake Tanganyikan life all in the one tank,and to get along of course. I have a positive thought for it all.

Well I thought I'd post up my plan and I want some feedback of what you think,

thanks
of1o

Edited by: oF1o at: 4/10/04 9:49 pm

#2 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2004 - 03:01 AM

This is similar to the kind of setup I want for my 6' tank after I move it in about 3 months, from what I'd heard you are best off keeping tropheus on in their own species tank but if they can be kept with the other fish you mentioned I'd love to include them in my community as well, has anyone got any comments about mixing tropheus with other tangs? I know they have similar eating habbits to the eretmodus and was already wondering if they could be kept together...

#3 semaj

semaj
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2004 - 03:08 AM

hey sounds like an awsm setup hope it all works out 4 ya.iv heard tropheus are best on there own but thats mainly bcoz of their feeding habits,but the others have the same so i recon it could work.just wondering where r you gettin the Eretmodus cyanostictus "kapampa" from nd how much are they costing ya?
james
doc_luvless@hotmail.com

#4 oF1o

oF1o
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2004 - 04:38 AM

hey i live overseas so i can get them,

Yes many people say tropheus are best themselves , but i have talked to many people ho have several species of tropheus together and leptosomas breeding in a smaller tank than mine, it just shows any thing can be done if the keeper is dedicated i think, theres no right and wrong , if you can setup the habitat right the fish should be fine and this is what i want to do.

thanks for the positive thought james. i will pot the results of the setup as well as some pics.
thanks
ryan

#5 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2004 - 09:37 PM

Well if it works out for ya it will be a great tank!

#6 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2004 - 03:59 AM

Saying they are better off as a species only tank, is like saying that to ALL fish ;)

Will like to hear your results Ryan keep us posted!

Good Luck :good

#7 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:37 AM

would it work on a smaller scale for a 6"x14"x18"? Cause I'd love to include tropheus in the tang community I'm going set up in my 6'

I hate the way that tank is so skinny, cause I bought it when I was too ignorant

#8 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:07 AM

hey you got any updates on this setup yet, keep us posted...

I'm moving home in 2 months and I'm gonna refurbish my 6' when I get there and as I said I had something similar in mind. I'd just like to know how yours went before I set mine up.

I'm eagerly awaiting to find out how yours is going.

#9 me

me
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:08 AM

yer chuck us some pictures!
I am very interested in how things are going!

#10 oF1o

oF1o
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2004 - 02:57 AM

Hi the tank is slowly getting there, i have 15 tropheus bembas in there atm and waiting on the delivery of the eretmodus cyanostictus this month with more tropheus bembas aswell, i can give a pic of the tank ill get electric to put it up for me, i still need more rock but, i gonna get them soon. i have to save up a bit more to get the cyps so they will have to wait for about a month or 2

so soon the pic will be up of tank, but for some reason i cant get a decent pic of the fish i must be dodgey unless the glass is too thick to focus the fish, its 12mm glass.

**UPDATE**

I managed to upload the photos.

Photo of my Aquarium.

Tropheus bembas

20cm Gibby

Gold Spot Pleco

cyas

Edited by: oF1o at: 4/10/04 9:48 pm

#11 Lee Hodge

Lee Hodge
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2004 - 05:43 PM

looks real nice ryan :good

lee

#12 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2004 - 06:39 PM

Ryan Looks good. :good

Thanx for showing us. ;)

#13 me

me
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2004 - 01:09 AM

Nice stuff

BUT i would remove the gibby's because they will eat alot of vital algae the tropheus will need.

#14 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2004 - 01:53 AM

Blake thats why you feed them food :good

#15 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:29 AM

thanks for the update

#16 finding newo

finding newo
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:32 AM

FISH NEED FOOD?????????! :eek

#17 oF1o

oF1o
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:35 PM

My lights are quickly creating algae but and the gibby cant keep up with the growth, when the other fish come in ill post more pics, well scott will for me:good cheers. may be a few months until all fish are in, then i can say how they are goin, thanks

ryan

#18 Anita ozfish

Anita ozfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:05 PM

Very nice tank Ryan - thanks for sharing :good

electral@bigpond.com | web | Sydney, Australia.

#19 oF1o

oF1o
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2004 - 01:49 AM

Hey, i have just recieved my shipment of fish.
PICS SOON! when scott puts them up for me:b :good

I ended up getting

Eretmodus cyanostictus 'kapampa' F0
Cynotilapia afra 'lions cove' F0 except they look different to what they are named, i mean the picson the net are totally different to mine. Tell me what you think.
and, julidochromis maleri F1

I had a look at other orders in the shipment and i have never seen such a nice fish as compadichromis midnight mloto. i was amazed and i actually wanted them but couldnt afford them this time, nest order:p

Well i have broken the tanganyikan rule, i have 4 yellows and 4 afra in there. hehe couldnt resist them but. I will add more pic when i get more fish. thanks
cya

::UPDATED::

eretmodus cyanostictus 'kapampa' F0

Cynotilapia afra 'lions cove' ??

The tropheus are getting bigger and better:b

Edited by: oF1o at: 6/11/04 6:39 pm

#20 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2004 - 06:19 AM

looking good, I'm jealous.

How are they all getting along together?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users