Photo

Some More Ray Pics

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

since everybody loves looking at pictures here is some more.... smile.gif sorry bout crappy tank and flash reflections sad.gif

#2 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

Nice , love the underbelly shot

#3 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Seen these the other day there awesome.

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Nice.

That last one would be amazing if it had more spots.

#5 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:50 AM

unfortunately bit over a month ago i killed my rays  :rip:  as people are aware these guys eat lots and place huge bioloads on your filters etc.... i was unaware planeria had gotten into their tank until they were in plague proportions.... one of the joys of declining eye sight as you age  :( anyway a long story cut short i used a worm treatment that even says safe for stingrays on it... but it wasnt safe for rays at all... and i melted them  :( after treating i watched for a couple mins and all seemed fine... went to water change another tank and came back hour later and the damage was done... tried big water changes to change out treatment and rays seemed to be getting better.....

now using the appropriate treatment - levamisol to rid the planeria... rays battled on for several days but never really recovered.... 

well another lesson learnt.... just wanted to share this with everybody who has rays and maybe prevent the same thing happening to somebody else....

i really loved them rays - something different and very amusing to watch at feed times and worse thing was female was preggas with 4 small pups {after autopsy disection}

cant really afford to buy some more - thanks to the economy mr tony abbot..... but i did pick up a small murray cod litte while ago to dispose of "b" grade guppies... so it will prob end up in the old ray tank now... 

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:09 AM

That sucks Johnno. Never good to hear stuff like that.
Cod will look pretty amazing in a couple years.

#7 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

Oh mate, I feel for you, I have lost a ray before.

Sorry to hear about your loss, they where mint rays, BUT ill hopefully have a litter of pups by the end of year (thanks to lending a big male off someone) - ill hook you up mate.

May I ask how planeria becomes present in an aquarium system? Reading this has scared me with some of my hybrid rays. And what would you suggest to remove if it was to occur? and how to prevent it from happening?

I have heard of some rays dieing from a worm infection before.

#8 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

as above levamisol is the only real safe treatment... and ask other ray owners who have used it - to get best results... same as anything always best to ask around before jumping in with all guns blazing :)

the murray cod will definitely brighten up the tank and in a year or 2 could find itself in the pond :) 

thik i lost the majority of platties in the pond this year too... been bloody cold this year... did spot a few cruising around hopefully enough to repopulate

#9 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

Winter sucks!
Those platies had great colour. Have they survived a winter before?

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Why were you treating for planarian worms though? I
Would have just wiped them off the glass, reduced feeding and increased maintenance. I am a staunch believer that adding chemicals
into an aquarium is a last resort measure.

#11 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

I agree, i don't like medicating the water. If you want to worm your fish for internal parasites best to medicate the food. In this case some frequent water changes and less food would of done the job.

#12 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:20 AM

Winter sucks!
Those platies had great colour. Have they survived a winter before?

sure have 2 winters now.... this one may of come on pretty quick in terms of water temp....

I agree, i don't like medicating the water. If you want to worm your fish for internal parasites best to medicate the food. In this case some frequent water changes and less food would of done the job.

yes thats the best alternative but not viable when planeria are all over the rays and glass and everywhere else too... like i said i didnt notice them until rays were behaving differently then i took a closer look :o

#13 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

May i suggest a pair of coke bottle thick glasses then.

#14 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:25 AM

maybe you could lend me yours  :P  :P  :P

#15 Karlos

Karlos
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

Sorry to hear that John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users