Photo

This Pleco Isnt Intimidate By Piranhas

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:43 AM

just shows you how tough a common pleco is... or was it a goldspot or gibbi ???

#2 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

Lol

#3 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:51 AM

One thing that amazes me...... People think the piranha is a nasty aggressive species, Its not at all. And it been proven over and over again.

Yes they will attack in numbers if there is an injured animal in the water but very rarely will they go out of their way to hunt something down.

I would love to have some in a large tank, I think they would look awesome.

#4 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

I agree with Az, piranha are always hyped up to be 'man eating killers' when they are just little fish that will sometimes attack in groups.
Piranha are immediately thought as killer but I'd much rather swim with 1 piranha than a snakehead, and nobody knows about snakeheads lol,

#5 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

Or a African Tiger fish.... those things are psycho!

#6 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Yeah lol

I was talking to this guy in America once and I could tell he was lying about his fish like oh yeah my platinum RTCs just bred but he actually did have 8 of these 5cm piranha. I joined in saying that I had a 50cm African tiger fish and he said that his piranha could rip it to shreds lol Goodluck with that mate :)
  • Fox likes this

#7 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

Cool video Johnno. That is one tough Gibbi.

I went to the fish markets in Thailand recently. I saw in excess of 50 platinum RTC, I got really excited when I saw my first one then realised they weren't all that uncommon. They were going for about 700AUD. 

Snakehead now also have a bad name in the states, and they have been drummed up pretty hard to walk on land and into peoples homes to eat their children, bloody media. They do have the weaponry to do some serious damage. 

image_zpsf082e70f.jpg

Notice that my hand is NOT in the mouth of this fish, they have some serious dentures. When you take them out of the water the sound their jaws make when they slap together is something I've never heard any other fish do. It's amazing.

Edited by Peckoltia, 28 June 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#8 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

My sisters friend came over to my house and they thought my red devil was a piranha

#9 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

i think someone in aus, used to own a black rhom? could have been something else tho... notice the ?? thats there because im unsure....

i would love to own one ahha dreaming..

Edited by Sir_Anubias, 28 June 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

I'm not sure who Paul is. But I'm sure if he is in Perth/Australia, then broadcasting that he had a noxious listed fish on a public forum isn't the smartest move.

#11 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

oh god....... your a funny guy

time to browse back over some forums find out who i was talking about

fisheries would raid you for keeping a native shrimp, so in reality there's no difference in keeping shrimp (CRS/CBS/Cherrys) which alot of people on here do then keeping a blacklisted fish,

god if were gonna make up rules lets at least try to keep them consistent regardless of the species....

Edited by Sir_Anubias, 28 June 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#12 Frontosaman

Frontosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

How good would a tank of red bellies look!!! Wish I had the Money for them!! Minimum $ I've been offered is $6000 for ten Juvies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

I was once told that there is a fine of $10k per Piranha :(

#14 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

How good would a tank of red bellies look!!! Wish I had the Money for them!! Minimum $ I've been offered is $6000 for ten Juvies Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that would be absolutely amazing! I could finally get rid of that yapping dog next door :D

#15 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

oh god....... your a funny guy

time to browse back over some forums find out who i was talking about

fisheries would raid you for keeping a native shrimp, so in reality there's no difference in keeping shrimp (CRS/CBS/Cherrys) which alot of people on here do then keeping a blacklisted fish,

god if were gonna make up rules lets at least try to keep them consistent regardless of the species....

I'm not trying to be funny or debate the logic (or pseudo-logic) of fisheries. I was just pointing out that it is not best practice to broadcast the illegal keeping of fish on a public forum. It would also appear that you agree with me having edited your post. :) 

Fisheries would love to bust someone with Piranha, the stigma attached to these fish makes for a far more entertaining headline than cherry shrimp.

#16 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:11 AM

I agree with Az, piranha are always hyped up to be 'man eating killers' when they are just little fish that will sometimes attack in groups.
Piranha are immediately thought as killer but I'd much rather swim with 1 piranha than a snakehead, and nobody knows about snakeheads lol,

fisheries are well aware of snakeheads and no doubt realise they are the no 1 noxious fish we donot want in our waterways... they tick nearly all the boxes when it comes to surviving extremes and their breeding potential as well as their potential for serious injuries and possibly even death to anyone who dares swim in the vacinity of these fish... 

but yes the public know what a piranha is and havent really heard of snakeheads... so a headline of fisheries confiscate piranha in raids is much more dramatic and creates huge amount of hype... unlike fisheries confiscate snakehead in raids... 

i dont advocate the keeping of either of these fish and agree that a 10k on the spot fine is prob not enough of a deterrent to the rich people that collect these fish... but the good thing - if there is a good thing these people are normally intelligent enough to have fish secured and never release them... 

remember on border patrol or one of them programs they caught an asian man with a snakehead and they showed video footage of it and them trying to get the fish out of the tank... quite funny watching as they all jumped like it was gonna eat them :)

the noxious fish list is there for good reason... and most fish on the list , although would be cool to have some of them in a tank , are best not let into australia... this is where biosecurity is failing by not stopping these fish coming into the country...  i sent in a survey and said biosecurity/daff/aqis/fisheries/customs as a group have failed to correctly identify fish coming into austraiia and as a result we possibly have noxious fish in the country... and the fact they allowed fish to be smuggled into the country in the first place... these two issues are far more important than taking cherry shrimp off the market in WA and not providing a genuine reason why and any legislation and laws that make shrimp noxious... ooops how did we get here again...  :brickwall:  

#17 litigator666

litigator666
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

Noxious are all over the place. "Breeders" can get things for your through backdoor and govt seems to be quite about it. If you have cash you can get what you want.

#18 litigator666

litigator666
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

I own both snakehead and piranhas overseas. Snakehead are agressive and piranhas doesnt live up on the image as portrayed by media. They are more like your silver dollar just mean looking.

#19 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:50 AM

when you read some of the american forums and they talk about snakeheads - not only do they have a great set of chompers on them they are a very intelligent fish and watch and learn and then react to this... some say they are evil hunters and quite often taking fingers off the fish owners hand when feeding or trying to do maintenance on the tank... 

maybe daff/aqis/fisheries/biosecurity need to have displays of some of these noxious fish in tanks so the public can see them and how dangerous they potentially can be... or maybe have a display at underwater world for public to see... i wouldnt mind paying admission to see some of these beaties in the flesh.... as im not likely to ever fly overseas to see them... i like my feet on the ground... what do you call fear of flying? mh370 phobia:) cant believe they are still playing the game....

#20 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:48 AM

I would love to own a snakehead... very hard to house one adequately though. You need to heat a large body of water over winter, have a good food supply and have a very tough and secure tank... And the missus wouldnt let me keep one with all the kids :-(
Oh and before you know it, everyone else in town would know you had one or was thinking about getting one then you gotta worry about having your door busted down by those from fisheries.

Edit: abuse aimed at fisheries deleted.

Edited by malawiman85, 30 June 2014 - 06:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users