Help!!!!!! Tech / It Wizards Needed

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hey all PC savvy peeps,

Please look at the pic & explain to me how to free up that HDD that's in the red.

I have defraged & run a disk clean up and it went from 900 mb free to 3 GB free, but would rather it further down.
I have cleared out most of the other drives, they contain movies etc.

Is there a setting I'm missing???

I use utorrent and use the 3TB drive to send the files to so they aren't going to the PC hdd

The 2 & 3 TB drives are external.

Any help would be fantastic.

Attached File  screen.jpg   190.71KB   3 downloads

#2 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Not sure if this helps you but once lve downloaded a movie or show, I delete from you torrent but make sure it you delete movie + data..

Once lve transferred to external hard drive of course.

Edited by ant86, 27 December 2013 - 08:40 PM.

• Fox likes this

#3 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

just a quick guide  your C drive is the  main drive for the  PC  where the operating  system is kept  and being a small drive  is a good idea  , faster load times  etc  BUT  do not install  games or other non essential programs on that drive and the space will not get used  as fast

Also  don't DL your torrents  to that drive  they take up space also if  you  have auto back up set on make sure it  is not on that C drive  allocate another  drive if you need any more help  etc just send me a PM, I will send you my phone and will be easier to  talk about it

Richard

• Fox likes this

#4 myster619

myster619
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

You can do it the old school way to reformat and reinstall.

Or download a better file explorer. Go inside the drive, check the space taken by each and every folder and subfolder. And then you will know, where the space has been occupied most. 

• Fox likes this

#5 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for your help people.

The downloads all go to 3TB and once DL'd  they are removed from utorrent, unzipped and moved to another folder but all on that 3TB.

#6 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

Azza!

Download a program called TreeSizeFree and run a scan on your C: drive. This will group all folders with the largest at the top helping u quickly identify what's using the space.

A common area to check is how much you're assigning to System Restores. This guide should do the trick - http://www.techrepub...m-restore/4117/
  • Fox likes this

#7 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Thanks Dazza, I checked them out ;) Very helpful

#8 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Did you gain much more space back? Throw up a screenshot of the TreeSize results if u get stuck.

#9 BristledOne

BristledOne
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hi az aquatic, I'm using my phone to reply so excuse the formating. Another easy to use programming to check space is "space monger"
With your c drive is that only 100gb because it's a low capacity drive like an ssd? Otherwise in disk management you can probably extend the partition size (if its a partition of a larger disk)

Otherwise there are "hardlinks" if you wanted programs to exist on another disk but still be run as if they're on the c drive. Allows you to move parts of programs without having to move the whole.
If you can swing it though with whoever pays the bills, get a 200gb ssd and ghost/clone your current drive across. You'll get more space, won't change the way you use your PC but it will greatly increase the speeds of your PC. I suspect this is your point of sale machine with myob or something on it and a chunky database full of all your purchases and sales so an ssd would speed up sales etc ;)

Hope some of this helps :) goodluck

#10 BristledOne

BristledOne
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Sorry, unsure how to edit on my phone... Wish i was using tapatalk ;p
Just double checked the PIC. "D:" drive aka dsta will be the same physical drive as C: just split up by partitions. You should be able to resize your disks in disk management in windows or using a utility like acronis partition thingamabob (been a while since ive used it so can't recall the name sorry, but try disk management otherwise Google acronis, its a company that focus on disk utilities)

#11 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thanks again peeps, will post again in the AM on my phone now.

#12 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

another good app to try for PC is CCleaner, the free version will do registry checks and will remove all the temp files etc to clear up space, also if your a gamer, a lot of times games keep patches in the temp filders of your profile, youll need to unhide the folder to clear it out but its worth it

• Fox likes this

#13 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

do you use any photo editing or dvd burning software? some of these programs have a working folder and store some files there which take up a lot of space. I had a similar issue while i was burning a few files to dvd. the working folder had nearly 20gb for stored data. so check the programs you frequently use to make sure there's no unwanted files that's taking the extra space. 

and + 1 for CCleaner 

Edited by Angelo, 28 December 2013 - 12:09 AM.

• Fox likes this

#14 Departure

Departure
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

do your self a favour and ditch windows, and opt for a linux distribution.

But honestly I think its time to start removing unneeded files on your system or atleast move them to another drive if they are not files from an install. I couldn't imagine 80+GB of software installed assuming windows take up around 20GB(thats on the high side). so only conclusion is photo, music, video ect... are still sitting on your C drive some where, or maybe you have a few games games installed? if so then uninstall and reinstall them with the install path pointing to another drive and not your C drive.

• Fox likes this

#15 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

Did you gain much more space back? Throw up a screenshot of the TreeSize results if u get stuck.

Attached File  Tree.jpg   208.42KB   2 downloads

Thank you all for your help VERY much appreciated. I have now gained 17GB, With a little more tweaking with the posts above I should be able to get some more free :)

I don't play games only solitaire :) and I don't use DVD burning programs or Photo editing software on a regular basis (Photoshop rarely)

List of things I do on PC:

Listen to music
Use Mozilla for: utorrent, PCS, ebay, email & FB

Watch movies etc through WMP or VLC

Pretty basic stuff, nothing to overloading I would think.
So I'm thinking Departure could be right with the unwanted files etc.

#16 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

nice app, do you have a free one that can scan network drives?

#17 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

Good job Az, 17GB should give you some breathing space for a while.

If you're looking for more space to regain drill down into your Users and WIndows folders and see what's taking up the space.  If you're an iPhone user (not sure about other phones) then you can get a heap of massive backups in the Users folder.  Under the Windows the WinSXS folder usually blows out.  Try this fix to clean that up (assuming you have the right Windows version and Service Pack) - http://www.howtogeek...windows-7-or-8/

What's straight under C: drive in that pic (where is says [5 files] ~14GB)?  If it's pagefile.sys then that's OK but if there's another called hiberfil.sys you can look at disabling hibernation as in most cases it's pointless unless it's a laptop.

Mattt, another popular tool is WinDirStat but not sure if it does network drives / UNC paths....

• Fox likes this

#18 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

that one worked, cheers!

#19 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

here another trick for you, once again if your an iphone user, itunes uses your windows drive as the backup drive, so it can take upto 16-64 gig of space depending, what you can do tho is basically make a folder to redirect the itunes backup folder to another drive using the makelink command in the dos prompt, you WILL need to read a tutorial on this as it requires some long commands, but its easy as to find, i was abot to link the itunes backup folder on my C drive to another drive so it wasnt taking all my space on my small Solid state Harddrive

• Fox likes this

#20 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:28 AM

I just moved the itunes folder to another drive and deleted some old back ups........ now have 31GB free!!!
Awesome stuff.
Great help from all,A huge thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users