Photo

feeding wildcaught Tropheus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2002 - 03:37 AM

any experience or advice out there on this?

pre thanks
Steve.

#2 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:08 AM

Probably stating the obvious -but if Sera flora doesn't work - how about getting some algae growing on a few rocks in an outside pond/tub or in a separate tank with a lot of light and a little liquid fertiliser -

#3 perthcichlid

perthcichlid
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:34 PM

I would think growing your own algae would be a major project for a bunch of tropheus. It would probably require a pond or something like that... Even then i would assume that it would be a supplement to a staple diet.

I have heard a discussion on using phosphate rich fertilisers to initiate algae blooms, i think someone at the PCS was doing this for some petrochromis? Perhaps ask the committee at the next meeting...

btw steve you thinking of getting more tropheus??tongue.gif
You're really going overboard! To think a few months ago you were happy with your peacocks and electric blues.. lol

#4 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2002 - 02:47 AM

thanks Chris - yes I meant to say apart from Algae, but then again maybe particular types of algae are better than others? I have tried string aglae with my aquarium breed Tropheus - intitially it scares the hell out of them, and they seem quite happy with flake.

Vincent: opportunity knocks mate. And some of Tropheus I have are primarily for my education while I acquire the ones I really want. So no more tanks, but in the next year will get more selective. In fact I have some empty tanks atm :) How is that for self control?

I am asking cause I might be fortunate enough to get some wildcaught soon, and a mate has just had some bad experiences with wildcaughts feeding them algae and flake. I think one just has to be prepared for n% fatalities?

#5 hawkwindfish

hawkwindfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2002 - 04:02 AM

If you are buying wild caught tropheus, (or any tropheus for that matter) try to find out what the Importer was feeding them and how often. This is very important. Your retailer should do this for you. I won't buy tropheus for the shop unless I know these requirements.

Example: One Eastern States wholesaler fed their tropheus once every three days while in quarantine and in the holding area.

When we first got them we weaned then to feeding every two days, then one and now twice daily. we started them on Vitakraft Plant Food which is spirulina and then onto Sera Flora.

Iain McGregor - our friendly Vice Prez used to bring algae in to the meetings which he harvested from Watergarden World in Armadale. You could give him a ring.

#6 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2002 - 02:28 AM

thanks hawkwindfish
that's good advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users