Nitrifying Bacteria

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mystic

mystic
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2003 - 04:12 AM

Hi
If I wanted to jump start a new aquarium, could I just put an old aquarium filter that has been running, into the new setup? or will the change in water conditions kill the bacteria? e.g ph 8 filter goin into a ph 7 filter?

Thanks in Advance.

#2 lotsoffish

lotsoffish
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2003 - 03:24 AM

Hi Mystic

That is all i ever doo never had any trouble as long as there were no sick fish in the other tank

#3 CommodoreKev

CommodoreKev
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2003 - 04:04 PM

I'm not sure if the tanks you are referring to reside in the same house, so this may not be relevant. If I add a tank to my collection I fill it 50% with water from my main tank and move my internal filter across to it. Never have had problems with stocking the tank immediately.

#4 calvus75

calvus75
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2003 - 08:42 PM

Hi Alan,

Yes you are correct mate, you may encounter some degree of bacterial kill - off. However, if you dump some old water from an existing aquarium and acclimate (similar method to introducing a new fish) your mature filter over in an ice cream container / bucket you should minimise the kill - off severity. :mb

:cheers

p

#5 mystic

mystic
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2003 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for the input guys, the reason for this question is my friend may wish to start an aquarium but not african cichlids, but tropical fish(Neons and stuff) which live in close to neutral water, so instead of waiting 6 weeks to cycle the tank I may just lend him an aged filter, to help the tank mature ;) .

Thanks
Alan

#6 Willy wombat

Willy wombat
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2003 - 05:27 PM

Just make sure when your friend puts his new tank together that there is enought ammonia in there initially for the bacteria to eat, cos if you dont, they will die from starvation. A bit of food and a few fish in the tank to start off with should do the job.

Im not saying put all the fish in on the first day, just a few, and if no problems are seen, build up the stocking density over the next few weeks. As you are putting an allready cycled filter into the tank, it should be able to keep the water pretty clean. :b

Cheers

WW

#7 mystic

mystic
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2003 - 11:08 PM

Oh yah good point about no initial ammonia to sustain the bacteria :good . Another option is the instant bacteria stuff like stress zyme and nitrevec, is this stuff any good?

Cheers
Alan

#8 gamblet1987

gamblet1987
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2003 - 03:54 PM

I used Hagen 'Cycle', which didn't seem to do much :\ Don't know anything about the other products on the market...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users