I believe they are all antibiotics

I am trying to treat an "unknown bacteria" in two of my tropheus

Steve

#2 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 28 March 2003 - 05:04 AM

Hey Steve,

Is it an external type bacterial infection or do you suspect an internal gut thing? Or a septicaemia/ blood thing?

Is it definitely bacterial or could it be parasitic?

Do you use water conditioners?

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

#3 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 March 2003 - 05:39 AM

I suspect an internal gut thing, Or a septicaemia/ blood thing. No externall signs apart from not eating. Male was still abit aggro before I hospitlised him. Now he is sulking.

Quote:
Is it definitely bacterial or could it be parasitic?

they say it could be both. hence the metronidazole/kanamycin cocktail

Steve

#4 riftguy

riftguy
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 March 2003 - 06:40 AM

G'day steve
if the fish is going through a gut problem here is another angle.
It sounds unusual but try Yogurt, if the problem is bacteria then yogurt can displace the nasty bacteria with the a&b bac cultures.
THe yogurt of choce is the unflavoured natural stuff but i've used apricot flavour on a cobalt zebre and had a good result.
The chemicals you are looking for will kill good and bad stomach bacteria , its the good ones we want to encourage.
This works best when the fish first shows simptoms and may be too late if the infection is advanced.
Fish that ar'nt eating will need the yougurt injected gently in the mouth a couple of times a day.
If they are eating just spoon into the tank, it never lasts long enough to hit the bottom at my place.
Also the cost of treatment is right.
I would not dream of giving my tropheus anything other than sera flora and must be clean and dry at all times.
No dipping wet fingers in the food, or food sticking to the glass and going off.
Poor food handling is the usual culprit for trouble in these fish.
Hope this is of use to someone.

#5 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 28 March 2003 - 03:57 PM

Are you planning on dosing these antibiotics into the water column or feeding them (i guess difficult now that they are not eating)...

I don't think these antibiotics would do much against many parasites.. Are your fish still passing faeces at all? I dont know if tropheus get internal nematode or other worm type infections... could that be possible..?

Its so hard in these situations because we are just guessing at the cause and multiple antibiotics probably arent going to help the stress levels of the fish! ;) I guess you will learn a lot from your trials at treating this fish anyway! :)

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

#6 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 March 2003 - 02:53 AM

thanks for the responses people, much appreciated.

I have sourced some Furan-2 thanks to Sharon in Melboune - bless her.
Quote:
Furan-2 tablets are effective against a wide variety of gram positive and gram negative baterial diseases. For treatment of: Dropsy, furunculosis, gill disease, fin and tail rot and black molly disease.

but it wont arrive for a while.

yes, you are right Vince, the antibiotics wont do much for the parasite, I am using metronidazole for that....
Quote:
It is used as an aid in the treatment and prevention of Parasitic Protozoans, Hexamita, Discus and Angel Disease, unexplained death, holes in the head, freshwater velvet and cryptocaryon irritations.

btw, I am not just making up these cocktails. The reason I am trying to source these particular drugs is that very experienced people have used these combinations with success.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users