Photo

What Is Wrong..?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

Hey guys back from California and my tanganyikan tank sand has gone brown...

I have a peppermint pleco and keep the water as good as possible what should I do?

#2 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

You need sandsifters

#3 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

Looks like some form of algae to me

#4 25GTT

25GTT
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:51 PM

my white sand did exactly the same when I was on honeymoon in US. My brother was feeding my fish WAY too much and as mentioned above no sand sifters.

All I did was siphon most of the brown stuff as it was loose from the sand with a 50 % water change, then the next day, pushed around the sand to loosen everything then did a 25 percent water change, followed with the same thing exactly one week later..... all went well and was like it never happened.

I did have to siphon a lot of the remaining debris however again once it settled.

#5 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:57 PM

Lights on a bit too long or in the sun. Need more flow in the tank. Gravel vac it and change water, then repeat next week.

Grab some fish that move the sand, if you cant get sifters try Multies and such that dig a lot

#6 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

So if after Christmas Day, I do a 25% change and suck up lots of the sand and mix it up, the 4 days later another change with mixing the sand, limit the listing and maybe get some petricola or something else nice (would corydora go well) you think that should do it?

#7 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

It's diatom algae, very common in slow/low flow tanks, add in a power head or 2 and stir up the sand when you do water changes :)

#8 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:06 PM

I have about 2600+ LPH so I don't know...

#9 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

What filter is it? In a tank that size with a filter output of 2600lph, the fish should be swimming against a current, plus filters are usually tested without the media.

Edited by Leichardti, 24 December 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#10 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:15 AM

The cats do dig holes and turn some over,,, but actual sandsifter fish turn over the entire surface of substrate.

If your not worried about mixing species from different habit origins, then 3-5 (large) clown loaches or 3 of the Geophagus smaller species like red horse face or rio pindari or orange head tapajo.
Geos will trump any fish for deep turnover even better than tang feather fin types.
If they pair up, remove females and try for a male trio turn over crew.
Smaller tanks,, only one or two geo's in relation to size.

#11 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

I have 2 Astro canisters with 1330 L/PH, sand sifters are looking expensive I have already bought a set of ophtolmatilapia boops and they set me back a lot!

Geophagus look like a problem if they breed or pair I really don't have to much time to check on them, I can do a water change and strip some fish but that's about it...

#12 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:29 PM

Shouldn't be hard to pick out males,,,, otherwise get a group, as they hit spawning condition one at a time,,, look for skinny and fat egg tubes.

Fat egg tubes are females, rip them out as they present.

With your opthalmatilapa,,,, a minimum of six and one or two males.
Usually don't do well below the minimum group size.
Occasionally you can get one or two seldoms survive amongst a very busy community or mix species tank.

I know you said you have no time,,, but if you have time to admire fish, then the time to set up and organize is merely a part of it and usually minimal.
Going all the way in every avenue of fish requirements and setting up will ultimately reward you.
But I remember myself being young a long time ago, I never seemed to follow through all the way.
If you have what you think is a good working idea,,, why not just put it to practice instantly.

Back on subject,,, you'd truly be amazed at the relentless duty a pair of male Geos give.
Keeps your substrate looking as if fresh out the bag it came in.

Edited by Buccal, 25 December 2015 - 10:32 PM.

#13 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

Geo's are the business and they look super!

#14 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

Sorry but more fish isn't an option I can't seem to care for these guys seeing as they are dropping off and about $2000 worth of work and sweat and still deaths, I miss one weekly water change because I was on California and gone about $200 worth of fish...

Sorry but I don't understand, $2000 into it all take $200 because I am busy at one time and that results in dying fish, diatom infestation, a barely working aerator, looks like a internal parasite problem and the best way to fix it is get some geos a new aerator... Basically put more money that I don't have into it... Seriously I try so hard put all my money in and get ck all out of it... I actually give up...

#15 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

Here goes $50+

#16 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

Another $40 Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451123433.764142.jpg   315.63KB   9 downloads 2 gone in about 30 seconds fk this I'm done with tanganyikans I might just sell them...

#17 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:52 PM

Have you tested your water?

#18 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

I'm sorry but I'm 100% sure my water isn't perfect I missed a water change so it obviously isn't good but I miss like 3 weeks and my Malawi are fine, everything that could go wrong has and I'm just sick of it all my money, time and effort and I barely have time to look at them strip their eggs/fry it's just too hard, but in the end (you should be fine) was the answer I always got.... Fk me I hate myself I can't take care of 3 fishtanks even when I spend a good $3000 on all of them I'm 14 that money is a lot! But obviously not enough... Now I have 5 boops and 4 cyprichromis so breeding is unlikely...

Edited by LexAgate, 26 December 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#19 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

Seeing as I'm spamming this page I mays well stop posting all the bull that you guys are hating, stop posting all together and unsubscribe to this and relieve you all of my presence.... Why does this all go wrong? I'm done putting in so much and getting nothing, bye guys thanks for all the help, tips and kind words you did make everything a lot easier but apart entry not enough ... Bye...

Edited by LexAgate, 26 December 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#20 benno87

benno87
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

Fish shouldn't be dropping off like that if you've only missed one week of water change. They are pretty small fish too so the bio load won't be huge. Maybe the tank hasn't cycled properly. If your not keen to test your water when small $50+ fish are dropping off I'd seriously think about trying another hobby hey. I just honestly can't see how a 14 year old doesn't have the time to properly care for fish. I had bucket loads more time for my fish at that age and still keep my tanks spotless and checks pretty much up to date 14 years later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users