Photo

White Fungus Eggs. Help Please.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kent84

Kent84
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

A little help please. This is my 5th batch of unsuccessful Jack Dempsey's eggs. Not sure if it is not being fertilized by the male properly because i have never seen the eggs developed into 2 black dots. After 2 or 3 days it will be covered with white fungus. I tries water changes, putting it near a wave maker and even in a shrimp tank. No luck so far... a little help please.

5ft tank with 2217 eheim. A wavemaker and a temp set to 26C. Sand substrate. Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite all good. Weekly 50% water change.

Attached File  2016-01-04 13.33.57.jpg   91.86KB   9 downloads

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

Hi mate,

Use methylene blue. Follow the directions and you are in business. Can get it from Vebas and probably most of the other sponsors.
If you dont want to put the methylene blue in your main tank, put a container in the tank, place the spawning thingo in the container and transfer to a hatching tank at that point add the methylene blue to the fry tank.

#3 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

Make sure they're getting successfully fertillized also, by day two or three, you should notice a little dark line through each egg which is the developing fish.
Some people's tanks just have higher counts of fungus living, which only really harms eggs.

If you want to try a different avenue to what MM said,,,,, then get a bucket and half fill with straight tap water, put a bit of conditioner in it, and place your eggs on their site pad straight into bucket.
27'c. Setting.
Stand the egg pad upright and have a airstone heavy bubble stream running half centimeter just off the eggs, so it creates a oxygenated flowing up lift current.
As they start to wriggle but still attached, just back of the bubble pressure and raise the air stone at mid water level.

After this, every day, just add a tiny tiny bit of aquarium water in after taking a little of bucket water out. 1 cup daily.
It's good to run a airlift sponge filter in your main tank indefinitely.
So as your fry begin to eat, you can pull out the filter from main tank and place in bucket.

Incase your thinking,,,, no,,,, eggs are not effected by the change into new water.
Only after hatching, they are delicate to changes.

#4 Kent84

Kent84
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:37 PM

Thanks MalawiMan and Buccal. I will try both methods. Will update you in a few weeks when they start spawning again. Thanks!. Much appreciated!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users