Photo

WHAT ARE THEY TEACHING OUR KIDS?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:57 PM

I went to Regan's new school here in Canberra for Parent / Teacher interviews the other day.

I had a meeting with her class teacher and an interview with her "environment" (science) teacher. The Environment centre at her school is fantastic, they have chickens, rabbits, worm farms, vegetable patch, recycling, compost, etc. etc.

While I was talking to the teacher, the conversation came around to fish and aquariums. They have two 30" tanks in the classroom, and he explained that they lost a lot of the tropicals in the tank, regularly, and that he was thinking of changing to goldfish.

We went inside, both the aquariums were empty. The year 6's had cleaned it out that day. Emptied the water out, cleaned the gravel under a tap, given the filter media a good rinse out in nice hot water, and rubbed the glass clean inside and out. The fish themselves were in ice cream containers (no heater) overnight until the tank was dry and they could put everything back in.

Apparently (gasp in surprise) a lot of the fish die after these monthly cleans!

Needless to say, I gave him an incredulous stare and explained about the cycling process. I could not believe that a science teacher hadn't even researched that far!

Seems I now have two new fish tanks to play with, he's asked me to help out with them, he has a high budget and money to spare. I thought something that would breed in the tank would be ideal, so might recommend multis for one.... do you think 30" standard would be big enough for a pair of convicts, or any other suggestions for something that will breed in a smaller tank and not kill babies? They don't have to be cichlids, something relatively easy to look after would be great.

Cheers

Colleen

#2 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:22 PM

At least after the monthly clean the tank must have looked damn clean!

I find shellies interesting to watch and they'd go well in a small tank, but they're not that colourful and kids might night like them too much. Don't multis live together well and raise their own fry? (not sure, I've never kept them)

#3 Brett4Perth

Brett4Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:46 PM

Not the first batch of fish killed by "kindness" and won't be last. Glad to see you have taken them under your wing Colleen.:good :good

How about some bristlenose, not that hard to breed and pretty tough. Nice big eggs the kids can see and the fry are cute. Parents so ugly you have to love them.:b

Good Luck
Brett

#4 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:20 AM

Hi Colleen,
I used to breed guppies and bristlenoses together successfully....that way you also have some kiddie colour happening:good

merjo:)

#5 Guest_sajica_*

Guest_sajica_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:00 AM

guppies or some siamese fighters.

A pair of convicts should be fine in a 30" tank, plus to a kid they look cool, with stripes, plus the females get some orange :good

"after all this fighting and disagreeance , i no longer goto fish shops at all.... as now , in the deep dark corners of my workshop im workin on somethin a lot more cynical..........
a mechanical EVIL CICHLID <insert evil laff here>
wen excited my giant 10 foot high mechanical cichlid will pick me up in her mouth and we will travel the land with the sole purpose of tormenting evil local fish shop owners"
mrgreen

#6 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:51 AM

Hey Colleen,

At least you can now have your cichlid "fix" vicariously through the school! :)

A small colony of multis I would have thought would be ideal.

That guppies / bristlenose idea sounds pretty good too - especially since the kids can learn about viviparous/oviparous styles of breeding in one tank...

Good luck choosing :)

Vincent

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Forums

#7 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:44 AM

Excellent Ideas, thanks all. I am going to be looking for some multis for myself, so might suggest a colony of those for one of the tanks, and I guess I'll keep my eyes open for some Bristlenose / Guppies for the other tank.

Cheers

Cold Colleen

#8 canerod

canerod
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:10 AM

hey Colleen
multies are great.
By the way, your old colony will soon be moving up to a 100lt 80cm x 40cm but at the mo their still goin great guns in the 2 ft.
The other option you could look at would be an established colony of N brichardi, they look cool too with their lyretails and long fins and they look after their offspring.
Bob

#9 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:19 AM

Thanks Bob

I had thought of brichardi, but not sure if the tank will be big enough. I will have to see what is available first.

Cheers

Colleen

#10 vishy101

vishy101
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2004 - 04:45 AM

Hi Colleen,
Ralph is still going strong, and the tanks starting to look better. Discus should be on the way, mum's the only one stopping me. Have fun setting up the tanks.
Matt

#11 Alistair Grev

Alistair Grev
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:00 AM

OK clearly Geophagus steindachneri are the way to go! If not go for archocentrus sajica ;)

#12 Chilli Powder

Chilli Powder
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:27 PM

I personally think that the multis for a 30" tank, especially with the kids is too boring. Might want to pile a bit a of rock at one end and put either some caudos or princess

Yes, I agree that the other tank should be different. Sword tails, angels etc should be good.

Cheers.
Arj.

Arj’s Aquarium | Chilli_Powder@telstra.com | Melbourne

#13 here fishie fishie

here fishie fishie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2004 - 04:41 AM

When i had a seafood shop, we had a pair of convicts in a 24" Tank, mum albino, dad striped. They bred like rabbits, great parents, & great food source for my Alto's. shhhh didnt tell the public that:smokin people used to love seeing babies & ask questions, like are the parents eating them:\ , are they for sale, is that where your fillets come from:lol ....the tank got more comments than the pin ball machine.

Frenchy:good

One thing I know, & that is that I know nothing.

#14 Guest_sajica_*

Guest_sajica_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:36 PM

this is mainly directed to colleen, but I found it a good read :good

www.cichlidae.com/tanks/t060/default.php

It's the authors experience with breeding "convicts" with young kids. They area diff morph of the convict, but the same applies :good

I hope everyone enjoys the read, I remember being entranced by a tank with tadpoles in preprimary :lol

#15 BettaAnt

BettaAnt
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:18 AM

lol...thats not good. Being a future teacher i plan to design teaching units that include all there is to know about fish keeping, i think it can have really great educational benifits from young children to upper secondary. This could span across all the curriculum areas from Science, Geography to Society and the Environment. It also prvides for something different in the curriculum areas instead of the same boring subject areas.

Would those parents out there like their children learning this in the school????

Provided it is taught the correct way..lol

Anthony

We spend all of our lives gong out of our mind, looking back to our birth, forward to our demise, but even scientists say every thing is just light, not created, destroyed, but eternally bright ~LIVE~

#16 Guest_sajica_*

Guest_sajica_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:44 AM

bascially the kids are learning things they would pic up from watching a good documentary anyway, only they're learning this in a school.
Though I don't know if many kids like watching doco's, though I used to and still do :good

#17 BettaAnt

BettaAnt
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:52 AM

yea docos can promote boredom..lol..but if they had a tank in the class with a colony of cichlids that would surely generate some intrest in the subject.

Anthony

We spend all of our lives gong out of our mind, looking back to our birth, forward to our demise, but even scientists say every thing is just light, not created, destroyed, but eternally bright ~LIVE~

#18 Guest_sajica_*

Guest_sajica_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:58 AM

anthony I think i misinterpreted your post

by the lol that's not good line, but then proceded to talk about benefits. I thought you where discounting the idea.

My correction :bd

#19 BettaAnt

BettaAnt
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:12 AM

aahhh... i see... no problems. I was replying to the original post..oops :chomp

Edited by: BettaAnt at: 7/5/04 10:14 pm

#20 Boots n all

Boots n all
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:46 PM

He is something l found this morning on the ACE(SPC) forum, maybe the two teachers should meet:lol
scp.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7993

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users