Photo

Blue Line Forest Jewels !! Help

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy fish lady

Crazy fish lady
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Does anyone know how much the rare blue line forest jewels fry sell for ?

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

i've heard of green forest jewels available over east, never heard of blue forest jewels.
who has them available?

#3 Crazy fish lady

Crazy fish lady
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

I do I paid $$ money for the pair I had a feeling the guy could never get them to breed because when I messaged him they had spawned twice he was pissed and nasty, I've just successfully pulled 300 fry and I don't wanna sell them dear but I wanted to know a reasonable amount, there such beautiful fish amazing to be honest truly my favorite cichlids these forests are blue with bright blue glitters and when they spawn roughly 3 days before the female turns bright pink ! So bright u can't believe the change an all her blue glitters stay and the male turns some what pink but nothing like female and he's blue glitters actually flash during their show !

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Pics?
  • Fox likes this

#5 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

Second the notion for pics. Iv googled this around 12 months ago and couldn't find much

#6 Crazy fish lady

Crazy fish lady
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

As she has just come off her batch she's still light pink so I will wait till she turns back to blue and upload then but the male has started to come back to blue I will try upload them

#7 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

look forward to seeing the pics

did a quick google and saw this:

http://www.sydneycic...el-cichlids.htm

Name: Hemichromis X 'Neon'
Origin: Does not exist in the wild
Maximum size: 12cm
Distinguishing Features: The Neon Jewel cichlid or Neon head Jewel is a difficult fish to source information on. From what little information I have gathered it would appear that the Neon Jewel represents a inter-species hybrid, although it's parentage remains uncertain. If anyone has any information on the species used in this hybrid, please mail me. The Neon Jewel is a spectacular fish, however, I must try and encourage people not to keep this fish in place of geniune species of jewel cichlid. In Australia in particular it is important to try and promote the keeping of pure species lines, as the import of Hemichromines from German or as wild caught specimens from West Africa is prohibited. If you are truly interested in keeping a spectacular species why not consider Hemichromis lifalili or Hemichromis paynei? The Neon Jewel cichlid seems to have been accepted by many cichlidophiles as more acceptable than fish like the blood parrot. Although the fish bears none of the gross deformities of the blood parrot, it does represent a hybrid species and in a way I believe this fish poses a greater risk to the variety of species available to the hobby than the aforementioned blood parrot. The blood parrot is easily recognisable as a deformed hybrid species and the risk re-intergration to pure cichlid lines by accident is next to zero. Poor quality 'Neon' hemichromines, however, may be easily mistaken for other species and be interbred with pure species by the well meaning cichlid keeper. Therefore, the keeping of the 'Neon' X hemichromine must be discouraged by the responsible aquarist who wishes to see pure strains of Hemichromines available in Australia in the near future.

However, I don't take much notice of what Google has to offer in regards to the fish hobby. I think I will email Ted Judy and Anton Lamboj and see what they think of Blue Forest Jewel cichlids. Also got a couple of books on Westies, so will post on here what I find out. 

Crazy fish lady, best of luck with the fry

:)

#8 Crazy fish lady

Crazy fish lady
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

First two photos are of my fish I just took the second photo of the male his blue is slowly coming back the third photo is exactly what the male looks like when not spawning and the third photo is very similar to how bright pinkish red the female turns when courting, and the male goes light pink and his blue flashes I will upload pics again they should spawn again in two weeks.
Last two pics are from Internet but to give u some idea I couldn't actually get a pic of female because she is hiding in her cave but she is still light pink

Attached Files

#9 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Very nice.

#10 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

Cool looking fish. I wound be interested in getting some if they end up making it to WA

#11 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

They have been here before, around 5yrs ago.
They sold for around $10-$15 3cm-5cm.

When they were on the market they were named "neon blue jewel cichlids"

#12 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:40 PM

Yep, neon jewels were extremely common in perth for many years, but seemed to disappear about 5-10 years ago.
They were very cheap when around ($6-10 back then) and probably more common than quality red forests for a while, because as you have noticed, they spawn in the 100's. This is probably the main reason they disappeared, people stop breeding them due to flooded market. The remaining ones likely to have just got mixed up with normal jewels. There was also a time when many sold had camallanus worms, possibly another factor in them disappearing.
While maybe frowned upon, i am glad to hear they still exist in perth as they are very pretty & hardy. I do not know the heritage of them, line bred aquarium strain or hybrid?.
  • Fox likes this

#13 Crazy fish lady

Crazy fish lady
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all the responses,
I have had a flood of responses for the fish that I'm sorry to say the fry that was available are all on hold with deposit taken
And thank you jason88 I needed the luck (:
Also my pair aren't hybrid species they are pure breed aquarium strain.
& and if there is no rules against me shipping them to WA I'd glady look at sending some to you guys.
I will keep you all updated if next spawn is successful I already have been hit with orders.

#14 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

Jason88? Oh shux thanks, now I feel 6 years younger :wub:

#15 Crazy fish lady

Crazy fish lady
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

My bad jason82 sorry bout that typo

#16 Crazy fish lady

Crazy fish lady
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hi all (:

Just keeping you all in the loop interested in my neon jewels they have been confirmed by a
Member of our nswcs that these are both genuine pair neon jewel/ blue line jewel
Whatever were gonna call them lol
Not a hybrid (: so when I for sale will definitely let u know

#17 Crazy fish lady

Crazy fish lady
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

THEY ARE FOR SALE GUYS (:

#18 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Price and size ?

#19 Crazy fish lady

Crazy fish lady
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

3cm I have heaps at 2cms up to buyers if they want them or just to wait selling 3cm at $20 each

#20 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Min 3-4cm sale size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users