Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

anyone ever come across these beauts?
Attached File  sawy.jpg   1.67MB   157 downloads

#2 crazyD

crazyD
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

Nice ray wink.gif
What sort of bait do those sawfish go for or are they netted?

#3 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

That thing is horror big!!!
pretty sure youd need a swimming pool for that bad boy

#4 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

I thought these were protected. Although i could do with some new blades for the chainsaw.

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

Great pic mate. Always thought that Pristis clavata would look magic in a fish tank, especially as it stays at a more manageable size.

Have seen these kept a few times by people overseas, always wondered how they would become available OS when all sawfish species are protected? Saw a guy in Asia had one in an outdoor pond with some stingrays, the sawfish was eventually sold as it was carving up his rays... Who would have thought ey?

Alex

#6 computerlog

computerlog
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Cairns Marine collect them they had a video on youtube of netting them.

* Here's the video, not sure if they've edited it or it was a different one but it used to say there was a good number of mortalities since they dont check the nets at night (croc's) and the tangled ones can drown.

I want this pond!

Edited by computerlog, 10 February 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#7 keleherr

keleherr
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (crazyD @ Feb 8 2012, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice ray wink.gif
What sort of bait do those sawfish go for or are they netted?

mainly used cherabin and spangles for handlines but also used nets.

QUOTE (Jules @ Feb 9 2012, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That thing is horror big!!!
pretty sure youd need a swimming pool for that bad boy

adults get to 7m so it would have to be a bloody big pool haha

QUOTE (sandgroper @ Feb 9 2012, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought these were protected. Although i could do with some new blades for the chainsaw.

The are both state and federally protected. You can catch them but you must return them unharmed. Some people cut the saws off as a trophy.

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Feb 10 2012, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great pic mate. Always thought that Pristis clavata would look magic in a fish tank, especially as it stays at a more manageable size.

Have seen these kept a few times by people overseas, always wondered how they would become available OS when all sawfish species are protected? Saw a guy in Asia had one in an outdoor pond with some stingrays, the sawfish was eventually sold as it was carving up his rays... Who would have thought ey?

Alex

This ones is Pristis microdon but we also come across the green and dwarf sawfish. They do occur around the world but Australia is the last strong hold for a number of species, they have pretty much been wiped out in Asia. haha yeh fancy that, sometimes we catch them with scales on the teeth from carving up fish.

QUOTE (computerlog @ Feb 10 2012, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cairns Marine collect them they had a video on youtube of netting them.

* Here's the video, not sure if they've edited it or it was a different one but it used to say there was a good number of mortalities since they dont check the nets at night (croc's) and the tangled ones can drown.

Most of our netting is done at night but we sit on the net or at least every hour pull it. long nights but knock on wood no croc or sawfish deaths.

If your interested in these guys follow us on FB here and follow the links to our website ect.
Also Dr David Morgan will be doing a talk on sawfish at 1 of the upcoming ANGFA meeting in the not to distant future.

#8 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Looking forward to that talk! Would love to have one of these but i think i'd prefer to see one in its natural habitat carving it up and being awesome.

#9 keleherr

keleherr
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Dr David Morgan will be doing a talk on sawfish and his work at the upcoming ANGFA meeting, stay tuned for details

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users