Photo

Shark Attack Port Kennedy

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#101 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

VietDragon do you swim, surf, ski, fish or snorkel the areas where these attacks have occured?

Cheers
Den

#102 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (Den @ May 11 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"do you swim, surf, ski, fish or snorkel"

All the fun human stuff VS an animals territory. Just doesn't add up Den. Can I ask that all kangaroos be culled in case they jump out in front of my car causing injury/death....?

This thread is going in circles BTW wink.gif

Daz

#103 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

I didn't mean to respark the old debate with my post. That's well and truly dead.
Someone suggested that we turned towards education instead, so it was with that in mind I posted the link to the West Australian report.

Maybe it would have been wiser to start a new thread...

#104 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

My reply wasn't directed at you Ado more toward Den.

Den's original concern was around these sharks being in "his" area and wants them culled for safety reasons. His most recent reply still implies he's of the same opinion and I'd assume his thoughts about authorities tagging isn't doing enough to protect the community.

Daz

#105 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

yes lets just kill anything that poses a *potential* threat to us while not having a care in the world
perhaps our planet dying slowly of pollution and resources being drained out coupled with global warming and various flora/fauna becoming extinct isn't enough to wake us up
lets all focus on personal vendettas

and to answer your question den, i would swim, surf, ski, fish or snorkel away from the areas where these attacks have occured. or at least where there are shark nets present and take every precaution to be responsible for my own wellbeing, just like you would put on a seatbelt everytime you drive. it's life, every single second of a minute of an hour of a day of our life represents endless possible risks that could manifest in any way or form. but why stress? life is short. at least those ppl died enjoying what they loved doing, imagine dying of old age lol but lets not go there..

has it ever occured to you that the sharks would be attracted to other prey ie. seals/fish? or just plain hungry? it was a terrible tragedy and this reminds me of those horrible reports of dead stingrays showing up all around beaches following steve irwin's death.. do you really think that's how he would've wanted it?..

deepest condolences to mr. guest and his family, but the plain stark reality of the matter is, killing any amount of sharks will not bring him back, it will just prove how pig headed and ignorant we humans are.

#106 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:50 PM

Vietdragon you are as I expected another couch warming environmentalist here to express an opinion on saving all the animals on Earth while Corporations clear millions of hectares of rainforrest to support your consumption of cheap ikea furniture and farms to grow cows for beef patties so you can suck down cheap big macs by the dozen.

You are part of the same wealthy group of people who are responsible for most of the Earths destruction who also demand that tigers and elephants should be protected while poor asian farmers who are forced to live with these animals loose the little they have, their children, live stock and food to these animals while you sit back in your comfy home with all the comforts that life has to offer. Sorry but like many others here I have no respect for your opinions which stem from your life experinces of sitting on a comfy sofa in front of an idiot box. smile.gif If you love these predators so much and want to save them keep them in your own backyard and you live with them!

ado that report was about as informative as what info I could find on the back of a beer bottle lid.

Dazza I agree all kangarooos should be shot on sight. laugh.gif

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#107 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Den @ May 11 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vietdragon you are as I expected another couch warming environmentalist here to express an opinion on saving all the animals on Earth while Corporations clear millions of hectares of rainforrest to support your consumption of cheap ikea furniture and farms to grow cows for beef patties so you can suck down cheap big macs by the dozen.

You are part of the same wealthy group of people who are responsible for most of the Earths destruction who also demand that tigers and elephants should be protected while poor asian farmers who are forced to live with these animals loose the little they have, their children, live stock and food to these animals while you sit back in your comfy home with all the comforts that life has to offer. Sorry but like many others here I have no respect for your opinions which stem from your life experinces of sitting on a comfy sofa in front of an idiot box. smile.gif If you love these predators so much and want to save them keep them in your own backyard and you live with them!

ado that report was about as informative as what info I could find on the back of a beer bottle lid.

Dazza I agree all kangarooos should be shot on sight. laugh.gif

Cheers
Den smile.gif

respected or not you still need to know the truth den:

- i have 1 wooden desk that i've owned for over 10 years and my dining table is made out of marble and i doubt marble comes from rainforests
- my sofa is made out of leather + i eat plenty of meat therefore "saving all the animals of the earth" is definitely not top of my agenda
- i have a normal 9-5, 5 days a week job like most working ppl out there so i doubt i belong to any "wealthy group"
- another fact that should prove i do not belong to a wealthy group of any description: i buy secondhand items and fish tanks and catch the train to work because that's what i can afford
- the idea of keeping any predators in one's backyard is ludicrous, they belong in nature and we should be preserving whatever is left of it
- i do own a tv, but can safely say it's not even connected to an antenna and i have not watched tv for over 10 years, i use my "idiot box" for other purposes such as watching movies and playing video games
- i do not eat mc donalds, and
- if kangaroos knew how to work a gun they'd probably shoot you on sight too (-;

den you are taking this just a bit on the personal side don't you think? believe me if we could all share and conserve our natural resources to such level as to be able to regulate a balanced lifestyle i wouldnt even be working. i hate global banks and corporations even more than you do if anything.. if you would rather spend your time worrying and stressing about what the environment does to us.. can i pls repeat once again.. look at what we're doing to ourselves..

#108 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

Den, why so egotistic? My post was not directed at you at all.
Simply a link to a news report for people's interest, to show that some tagging work is being done, even off our own coast.
If readers are interested, they can chase up more details.

If your really after informative information regarding white shark tagging...just ask wink.gif
I've got access to plenty, and can put you in contact with people involved in this work if you so like.

Don't bother arguing mate. No offense but I simply don't rate your intellectual ability to bother with your posts.

Cheers
ado

#109 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ May 11 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I ask that all kangaroos be culled in case they jump out in front of my car causing injury/death....?

ive been trying but the buggars are just so resilliant tongue.gif

#110 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Neakit @ May 11 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive been trying but the buggars are just so resilliant tongue.gif

so your the one shooting them with crossbows

biggrin.gif

#111 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Iamsam @ May 11 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so your the one shooting them with crossbows

biggrin.gif

Nah why waste time, Shotgun is the wepon of choice Attached File  rtaw_devil.gif   959bytes   2 downloads

#112 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

Vietdragon and others: just wanted to say that my opinion on this matter is formed at times while I sit in my boat fishing in the middle of the bay watching children swim and teenagers snorkel in the same bay as that man was eaten alive, not while sitting back in the safety of a suburban coffin(AKA house) like the rest of you's.

Den, why so egotistic? My post was not directed at you at all.

Hi Ado, please dont take offence Im not attacking you, I am attacking that report which reinforces my point that shark researchers "experts" are a useless bunch of cowboys "people with good photography skills" who give the public almost zero useful help, they are a bunch of paid holiday makers as far as I am concerned.

Don't bother arguing mate. No offense but I simply don't rate your intellectual ability to bother with your posts.
come on mate, I'm sure Ive said enough stupid things for you to back that statement up with at least one example.

In all my arguements from dogs to sharks, Im disgreeing because I care about people more than these animals. If you are offended I make no appologies for that! If you are a human I value your life more than a dogs or a sharks life, I understand from your comments that many of you people here do not value my life or the lives of strangers as much as you value these animals, I think this attitude is partly the result of urban isolation, your de-humanising strangers into statistics, it's sad.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#113 CCA001

CCA001
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

All i got to say is:

BUILD A GOD DAM BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT

#114 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:14 PM

LOL Who has to build the bridge? smile.gif and incidentally, the word is "damn"

Respect.

It is important that all those incapable of following the debate or contributing to it in a constructive way, simply skim over it or stay out of it. It is not polite to trivialise things that are obviously important to some people. If the thread is not important to you...simply pass it by. Please don't belittle those who have invested some time and effort in it, and obviously feel passionately about their arguments.....thank you

Regards,

Donna

#115 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:28 PM

Very nicely said Donna, nice to see you back in the flames smile.gif

I wounder how many of these "save the man eating shark people" have eaten shark fin soup or shark fish and chips? - one of the biggest threats to shark populations around the globe. As a regular restauranter I have seen it on many menus, I always ask members of my group to avoid this meal due to its unsustainability.

Care to honestly answer that question Vietdragon and ado? and all the other save the shark people? I can bet most of you have chewed on a shark in your lives, you all just seem to value the sharks that kill people more than the ones you eat!

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#116 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (Den @ May 12 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wounder how many of these "save the man eating shark people" have eaten shark fin soup or shark fish and chips? - one of the biggest threats to shark populations around the globe. As a regular restauranter I have seen it on many menus, I always ask members of my group to avoid this meal due to its unsustainability.

Care to honestly answer that question Vietdragon and ado? and all the other save the shark people? I can bet most of you have chewed on a shark in your lives, you all just seem to value the sharks that kill people more than the ones you eat!

Cheers
Den smile.gif

I like to see you apply the same question to the "Dog" thread Den! smile.gif

#117 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE (Den @ May 12 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nicely said Donna, nice to see you back in the flames smile.gif

Cheers
Den smile.gif

lol den mate u've missed the point completely
never have i said "save the man eating shark", i believe i said "no matter how many sharks u kill its not gonna bring those ppl back"
my point was that the shark attacks that occur are of a random nature and do not represent their "hatred" towards humans, something which you have chosen to unnecessarily reciprocate exclusively towards animals >.> why so much anger? life is precious and i value it all the same fullstop. you don't seem to understand our dependence on the planet and its resources so in a sense you are more of a "couch warming urbanized coffin dweller" than me already (just kindly returning your colorful selection of words wink.gif). if you have been out in nature or knew anything about it you would realize animals have to earn their meals. unlike us they're not offered the luxury of soups on menus, fish n chips, or anything else that you care to mention. its a constant struggle for survival and if you ever possessed the ability to empathize with an animal you would understand the phrase "mange ou mourir", eat or die.

and fyi, i've had shark fin soup, i could not differentiate it from my mum's home made chicken sweet corn soup but yeah, was yummy ^^;;

#118 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

Well said VD.

#119 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

do you understan the drematic effects that having no sharks in the ocean would have on other sea life and evan us
Yes I do, most of us mammals would have a water utopia, it would be awesome! smile.gif biggrin.gif

As a regular restauranter I have seen it on many menus, I always ask members of my group to avoid this meal due to its unsustainability

unsure.gif huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif ??

I am attacking that report which reinforces my point that shark researchers "experts" are a useless bunch of cowboys "people with good photography skills" who give the public almost zero useful help, they are a bunch of paid holiday makers as far as I am concerned.

sure mate...that's your opinion...you entitled to it. Especially when the closest contact you've ever had with shark researchers is watching a brief snippet on Today Tonight.

As for the paid holiday makers...I don't disagree. I used to crawl around hot roof spaces for a living...now I get paid for researching fish! And I love it!! Work? I'm permanently on holidays! smile.gif

And stop trying to draw me into a debate. In this and the other discussion, I haven't actually been arguing against you at all. Just trying to demonstrate that your arguments need a bit of editing and polishing up before they could even be considered by anyone so inclined to debate you.
You don't understand statistics. Period. That's nothing to be ashamed of, most people don't. The media is chock a block full of useless twisted pseudostatistics. I can guarantee you that any biologist has been through months of painful statistics training - it's boring, counter intuitive and complex.

I for one, don't have a clue anymore what your actual position is one this matter (nor for dog's either). The discussion seems to take a different turn with every post.

Like I said, I honestly think you lack either the intellectual intelligence or emotional intelligence (though I suspect the latter) to actually carry out a proper discussion with the sole aim of increasing knowledge.

If we want to have a discussion about the pros and cons of tagging etc (you brought that up a while back actually) I'm all for it.
But I have zero interest in entering into a online debate with someone who has nil actual knowledge of the subject at hand just to pump up your ego.

cheerio
ado

#120 CCA001

CCA001
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

Sorry to dissapoint you DEN but i and members of my family have never eaten nor will we any sort of Shark meat or fin soup wateva you want to call it.

Just so you alos know i go kitesurfing, swimming and sailing were and around were that shark tragedy happened as most of my cousins and family live in safety bay or within 10min as i have said before my family knows that if i was to be taken by a shark then i DONT want it hunted as i am swimming in THERE HABITAT it would be a different story if they came into our world, but as MOST of you should know SHARKS were here a LONG TIME before us humans were around.

Just remember these little things when you are trying to preech (sorry for the pun) what you are.

As i have said a few times if that shark is hunted and killed then why the heck are the convicted murderers proven GUILTY still alive in jail. If that is how you feel about the shark you should feel the same way about a human taking a humans life YES.

CIAO CIAO smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users