Photo

Eheim Pro 3e

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

The Eheim Professional 3e filter fully automated, not sure on AUS price but you can get them for $400 US from amazon.

They have a indicator for when to clean it out, also it can make wave motion for marine tanks.

Anyone had one of these yet?

Nic

#2 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

i think oliver uses one, but i personally wouldn't buy one.

At the end of the day it's the first electronic filter which just allows for more to go wrong. Fantastic options available, but i much prefer the manual filters. Easy enough and work a treat so a see no reason to change until it has had about a year or 2 of release and reviews.

#3 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:20 PM

Looks great, but will have the pricetag to go along with that 8O
I also agree about things going wrong with electronics. Plus first generation products are always a bit risky to buy.

#4 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:16 PM

I personally use a Pro 3e and they are awesome filters! i love mine and so far hardly anyone has had problems with them.
I was pretty impressed with the design and funtionability as well. I've had it about 5 months or so and hasnt skipped a beat biggrin.gif

I wouldnt get one from the U.S because they run on 60hz whereas we run on 50hz so you can have major problems and not to mention freight! its quite heavy, then you have the weight of media on top of that!
Cut your losses and buy one from your LFS.

Oliver uses a Pro 3 Thermo not a Pro 3e biggrin.gif

#5 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:26 PM

I saw a pro 3e at a lfs for $1000 8O although i may be mistaken.

Can you get the American filters to run on aussie voltage?

Nic

#6 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

they're $950 with media brand new, i saw it and wanted it so i saved for it!
as i said earlier, well worth the money.

I believe you need to replace the whole head to change it to 50hz (someone please correct me if i am wrong) so buy the time you have done that then you have spent well over $1000.
Plus what are you ment to do for a warranty if something goes wrong? send it all the way back to the U.S and at whose cost is it, i'll bet that the people who you buy it off arent going to pay.

#7 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

It is purchased from Eheim on amazon so i am sure they will refund. I also realised it was 240v over here and they use 110v i think sad.gif

Nic

#8 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:39 PM

It is the voltage that will be the problem. And the plug will be different. Even if you managed to plug it in, it would fry on our 240v system.

The 60hz would not be a prob, just make the pump run at a different speed. Although I'm not sure what effect it would have on the electronics.

#9 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

Eheim will not cover warranty if you change the plug, or plug it in to a device to change the voltage, too many possibilities for something else to cause a problem with the unit. When you buy an impeller, you will find that there are 50Hz and 60Hz impellers on the market, so why is that?. Also for sure the American market is cheaper, they sell 10 times more units over there than in Australia.
Get the government to change the voltage in Australia, and we can save some money!!.....fat chance!!!!

BTW, if the Pro 3e had a thermal version, I would have gone for that. It is only for a 1300 litre planted tank, almost no fish, so I only wanted one to pick up some fine particles then heat and move water, the 3e pumps more, but no heat.

Oliver

#10 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:59 AM

Get the government to change the voltage in Australia, and we can save some money!!.....fat chance!!!!

Aquarium filters aside, our 240V system is far superior to a 110V system.
It actually makes everything cheaper for us, smaller cables, etc.

#11 Blackcats

Blackcats
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:32 AM

It actually makes everything cheaper for us, smaller cables, etc./

Agree with ado - for a given power output higher voltage means less current which in turn means less equipment and running costs.

#12 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

(Blackcats)
It actually makes everything cheaper for us, smaller cables, etc./

Agree with ado - for a given power output higher voltage means less current which in turn means less equipment and running costs.

OK OK, just stating what all "eBayers" and "Amazonians" want to hear..... sorry for that :oops: ....... as I said on another forum, and as a German that has been Aussiefied "Americans always want to be different". I agree with 240 volt and the metric system....But I only have one problem with the western power peolple, why can't I get stable 240volt? I always get something in between 230 and 350 volt???? the only thing they can offer is excuses and "get a surge protector"......sounds like the Water corp "we make water for people to drink, not for fish to live in, get a water filter if you are concerned" I asked "what water do you drink? their reply "we have bottled water delivered"...................?
What do I pay taxes for?....................

I still like Eheim.......after all, I am a German :wink: .......and I am married to a Chinese girl 8O........I have no problems with the fact that some Eheims are being made in China!!! What isn't? :roll:

He He, My bit,
Apologies (not) to the Water corp, Western Power and Neo Nazi's

Oliver

#13 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

230 and 350 volt

Your voltage surges up to 350V!!?? That is way too high!

Unless you live right next door to a industrial plant that has large machinery kicking in and out, it sounds like you have a problem.

Have you told WP that it goes that high?

#14 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:00 PM

Speaking of unstable electrisity my brother (engineer) was just telling me about these big boxes which keep voltage at a constant level, they are big and filled with allot of junk biggrin.gif For sensitive quipment. May need to get your self one biggrin.gif

Also 350vlts better hope you don't get any expensive apliances biggrin.gif

Nic

#15 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

inverters mate. But they are quite pricey, we use them at work, some cost about 4K each.
Ant

#16 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

inverters are used to convert DC to AC. They have an inbuilt regulator to ensure 'clean' AC power.

The 'big boxes that keep voltage at a constant level' are regulators. You can get them for computers and other sensitive electronic equipment, and household/office ones need not be too dear.

IMO they are not at all necessary for an aquarium. Filters, air pumps etc can handle all sorts of power fluctuations, you would never notice. It is only sensitive electronic equipment that is affected.

#17 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

If you go from 230v to 350v i don't think even a regulator could help you biggrin.gif

umm arn't we all a little off track smile.gif

Nic

#18 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:19 PM

inverter could be used, but why take up the extra space in order to save you $200?

Nic, where did you get the 350v value from?

European electrical equipment can most certainly work on australian voltage without too much hassle. American gear is a pain in the bum and their decades behind in electrical transmission technology.

Play safe, and buy it from Australia.

After everything said, i still wouldn't waste my money on a '3e' i don't see the purpose in doing so given the current models on the market do a flawless job at the fraction of the cost.

each to their own though!

Regards
Chris

#19 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

personally i wouldnt buy 1 my self, your paying alot for the name, its like billabong jeans fine they are a bit better quality than others but 5 times the price? maybe 1 times the price worth of qulity but that other 400% is just you paying for the name.

#20 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:25 PM

Leevers:

"why can't I get stable 240volt? I always get something in between 230 and 350 volt???? "

We where talking about these big boxes my brother has that keep voltages stable, Oliver said he has problems with western power and said the above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users