Photo

Please Help Quickly Somethings Wrong!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:15 PM

i dont know what is happening but all my fish are breathing heavily and 3 have died in 2 days!!
i have also lost alot of fry that wer in a fry net!!
please help i dont know whats wrong!!

phillip

#2 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

Gday Phillip

Can u go into more detail?

Is it the larger or smaller fish that are dying first?
Water temps experienced lately?
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate levels?
What aeration do u have at the moment?
Any signs of whitespot/ich? Fish flicking/scratching themselves on rocks/substrate on a regular basis etc?
Any maintenance done recently? Filter clean, gravel clean, water change etc. Methods used?

Dazza

#3 newfish

newfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hi Phillip
There are many very experienced aquarists on this forum (I am not one of them) that will be able to give some specific and effective advice. Perhaps in the meantime...increase aeration and do a 50% water change. Neither can hurt but might help your fish breathe or reduce the concentration of whatever it is in the water that is bothering them.

Good luck
Erica (-:

#4 fishyyyyyy77

fishyyyyyy77
  • Banned

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

another thought is there are a few medications out that are for general well being of the fish.. that cannot harm them if they dont need the meds and cover a large range of disease.. also.. i had a problem where my fish were dyiong randoimly and it stopped suddenly too.. when i therw the cheapy flakes from coles in the bin tongue.gif

just ask yourr local about some of said meds

#5 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (fishyyyyyy77 @ Jun 22 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there are a few medications out that are for general well being of the fish.. that cannot harm them if they dont need the meds and cover a large range of disease

I'd say the majority of meds shouldn't be used willing nilly unless totally necessary especially things like antibiotics. There's a handful that can be used for preventative purposes (worming and external bacterial infection type meds) but the list is small. Neither of these will help much with the immediate issues that Phillips is facing.

Dazza

#6 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:14 AM

You need to provide us more details phillip ?

Craig

#7 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

Its hard tio say from what you have written. Are the fish breathing heavily at the top of the tank near the water surface ( most likely lack of oxygen) or at the bottom and hardly swimming, in which case I would guess high Ammonia/Nitrite levels. Either way I would also suggest 50% water changes over the next few days. Remember to use declorinator and try and match the temp as close as possible. If it is Ammonia/Nitrite look into what caused it. Is it a new tank, over feeding, over stocking or inadequate filtering.

Good luck with it and try and give us some more detail if you can.

Tony

#8 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

the tank is defenitly not new ive had it for about 1 year!
the last time i did a water change was a week and a half ago!
i clean the filter every 2 weeks!
last week i treeted some fish for whitespot!
the tank is a standered 3fter and there is alot of movment and some air ration!
the fish that are dying are al different sizes!!dded some melafix!!
i did a 50% water change and a
heres a list of fish that have passed:
2x FEMALE red top hongi sad.gif (good breeders)
1x female cynotilapia afra "jalo reef" female that had a mouthfull of fry
1x female elongatus flavus

it seems to all be females that breed!! sad.gif

please im really mad

thansk phillip

#9 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (cichlid4lyf @ Jun 23 2008, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
last week i treeted some fish for whitespot!

Sounds like you're still having issues with whitespot. Once it enters the gills it puts a lot more pressure on the fish's respiratory system. It'll take quite a few weeks before u can tell whether it is still effecting the fish.

What's your current temperature?
Wot do you consider to be "some aeration"?

Dazza

#10 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

Again without much detail I am only taking an educated guess here;

I would agree with Dazza that it could still be effects of the white spot out break. Another couple of possibilities; you say you clean your filter every two weeks, I assume that you know not to use Tap water and clean with water from the tank. If the filter bacteria die off you have to start the tank cycle over again and will cause amonia spike.
Another thing to consider is that some medications can actually kill of your filter bacteria. Be carefull of medications that contain Methylene blue among others and always follow the instructions carefully.

Tony

#11 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:13 PM

i clean the filter every 2 weeks!

Why are you cleaning the filter every two weeks,what kind of filter is it and what are you cleaning it in ?

i have also lost alot of fry that wer in a fry net!!

A large water change may kill off fry that are young enough to be kept in a frysaver still and also why are you doing 50% water changes on a 3ft tank as that may be causing you some problems all round in that size tank ?

Craig

#12 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

im not being a pain or anything but while you guys are arguing my fish are dropping like flies and im really really mad!!
i have been doing water changes every 3rd day and they are still dying!!
what do i do?
pleaase please help for my fishes sake!

phillip

#13 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

Phillip.

My suggestion would be for you to bring a fish and some of the water into Aquotix (MrDocfish?) and get them to look at it... maybe they can pinpoint the problem...

Cheers!
Kevin.

#14 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:48 PM

Sorry B, unsure.gif

I would check your ammonia levels, I have had 5 customers come in, in the last week from your area with major ammonia problems, bring me some water, I'll test it and go from there, sorry I missed you the other day. Very busy in the fish room of late.

#15 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

You will need to have the water tested for the full range of required tests and if possible, explain in detail how the fish start to show symptoms just before they die, like gasping as you already said... any more info?

Check this post, see if this can help you in the mean time:
http://www.perthcich...showtopic=18026

#16 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:10 PM

im not being a pain or anything but while you guys are arguing my fish are dropping like flies and im really really mad!!

Hey phillip,

Sorry mate but you didnt respond to this post for days so assumed that you had it sorted out ?

Please take Olivers and Aarons advice and a.s.a.p !!!

Cheers
Craig

#17 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

This thread has been cleaned up, this made some other posts irrelevant so they were also deleted.

Please try not to go "Off Topic".

Cheers
Col

#18 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Jun 30 2008, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You will need to have the water tested for the full range of required tests and if possible, explain in detail how the fish start to show symptoms just before they die, like gasping as you already said... any more info?

firstly they lose all there colour and go very pale white and lie on the floor gasping and them die after and hour or so!!
today im doing a 50% water change but i will bring some of the old water in to midland today!!
im really mad cuz i woke up to 5 dead fish this morning sad.gif
should i clean the filter or will something bad happen?
im thinking of taking out half the water and take out the rocks and catch all the fish and put them in a bucket and clean evrything!

please help, phillip

#19 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

Hi Philip.

You say you are "mad".
Are you mad at yourself, your fish or the failure to get a diagnosis for your fishes health ?
You have been asked for the water parameters several times but so far you have only stated that you have treated for White Spot & added Melafix.
Those that have the knowledge & experience to help you need to know what the pH, gH, kH Nitrate, Ammonia & temperature readings are.
If these had been stated in the original post this would have saved a heap of questions & delay.
If you do not have the test kits the best way to go ( as already suggested by others) is to take a sample to one of the LFS and get it analysed. If you cannot get to a LFS I suggest you phone them, Oliver at Aquotix, Terry or Aaron at Midland, Paul at Morley or Kev at Malaga as they are the closest to you.
It would also help if you could state :-
What water you use eg, tap, bore or rainwater ?
What, if any additives do you use to obtain the correct parameters ?

There are many members on this site that are only too happy to help you, but to give you a correct diagnosis they need more details.

This is not meant as a criticism, merely trying to advise.

PS...Happy Birthday for today, have a good one.

Col

#20 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:23 AM

the thing is i dont know the perimetres but im taking in some water today to midland so i will post up the perimetres when i know them!!
i use tap water by the way!

thanks for the happy bday col!!

philip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users