Photo

Fish Upright?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo

Nemo
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

Can anyone tell me why my electric yellow cichlid is upright I only bought it yesterday?

#2 Barf

Barf
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

what do you mean by upright - upside down? vertical? unsure.gif

#3 Nemo

Nemo
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Not upside down, vertical head facing up, I don't know what to do to save it????

#4 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

Perhaps a bit more info would help.
How long has the tank been running.
What are the water parameters.
What is your maintenance schedule?

It is kind of important to list these things if you want anybody to be able to offer there advice.

Brad

#5 Nemo

Nemo
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

My tank has been running for about 3 years I do regular water testing...I am no expert that is why I am on this forum?

#6 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

head up display is a submissive pose for a fish - it is probably being picked on by another fish or it have a problem like whitespot..... observe it for a while and see if any others are pushing it around.

#7 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

What are the results of your last water tests .... and when were they done?
Im only asking because 90% of fish illness is due to poor water conditions.
If it is facing the water surface and is up towards the surface gasping then it could be due to a lack of oxygen in the water.
If this is the case perhaps add a few air stones.
Im no expert either but if you do want help from the experts out there then they are going to want as much info as can be provided.

Brad

#8 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

Judging by your other post your fish is doing badly due to the aggression the Rusty is directing toward it.

The upright position you are witnessing is associated with submission or backing down from a dominant fish to avoid conflict. The other explaination is it may be about to die, sad i know.

Head up - submissive, conceeding defeat without conflict
Head down - displaying aggression, dominance or willing to challenge

These two gestures are usually only displayed when conflict is current or dominance is being persued. It's unussual for a fish to constantly be in this position. Perhaps it has been targeted so much by the Rusty that it is it's only defence. Either way the fish should be seperated. A bigger tank would help eliminate this stress also.

Edit: Docfish beat me to it

Edited by gibbs, 10 January 2011 - 09:11 PM.

#9 Nemo

Nemo
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

Thanks I think you are right, it was being picked on yesterday and when I got up this morning I found it hiding behind a rock,when I coaxed it to come out so I could have a look at it that is when I noticed it upright, so I immediatly seperated it,as I do not have a spare tank I have put it in the the net box I have and sat it in that....does that mean I should not get another electic yellow as I do not want this fish ristricting me from buying other fish even though he is a beautiful Rusty....

#10 Nemo

Nemo
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

I last tested my water yesterday and I change a third every month...

#11 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

And the results were?

#12 Nemo

Nemo
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

All within safe levels...

#13 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:30 PM

nemo, you need to give specific numbers and parameters for your water tests. i.e. NH4: 1, NO2: 0, NO3: 5, pH: 7.8, etc

just saying 'everything is fine' is really no help to anyone, for all we know your just testing the pH or something...

#14 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:18 PM

The bottom line is Bradfitzy was right, keeping fish is mainly about water chemisty.To help people out we always need to know all of the basic readings ie ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph,gh,kh,temp and any other additional information you think might be helpful.A lot of beginners think that the water is clear so it must be alright but that is not the case.A good indicator is when you see the first signs of fish scratching or flicking, this usually indicates that the waters out of kilter.Any way best of luck steve. p.s i'd get rid of the aggressor once a bully always a bully.

#15 Neddy

Neddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:32 AM

How did you go? What was the outcome?

#16 Nemo

Nemo
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

Well i took my fish and a sample of my aquarium water, I had tested my water for Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate which I did before I bought my fish and it all showed up (within safe levels)!!My testing kit I have had for a while so I thought to play it safe I have now bought a new one.

However their reading was that my nitrate was too high but all the others were good,so I have to do 3 daily water changes..As far as my beautiful Elecric yellow he/she is still alive they put a treatment in the water for him,but he has now gone all red underneath like he is bleeding internally I have bought some wound care that I put in the water for him everyday..I am wondering if i should give him a chance leave him a little longer ,if I have to put him down I want to do it humainly as my husband works for the RSPCA he is going to find out what the protacol is....Thanks to all who asked.

Edited by Nemo, 12 January 2011 - 09:06 AM.

#17 Nemo

Nemo
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

Sandgroper that is helpful advice especially regarding the aggressor, I did read the rusty/lavender are suppose to be a peaceful fish though,the aquarium shop person also told me that with the nitrate reading high this can also cause agro amongist other fish??

Edited by Nemo, 12 January 2011 - 09:13 AM.

#18 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:19 AM

Clove oil and then in the freezer to put him down.. Humainly On the forums somewhere

http://www.perthcich...showtopic=27497

Edited by Sarahjayne1988, 12 January 2011 - 09:23 AM.

#19 Petert

Petert
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Nemo @ Jan 12 2011, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well i took my fish and a sample of my aquarium water, I had tested my water for Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate which I did before I bought my fish and it all showed up (within safe levels)!!My testing kit I have had for a while so I thought to play it safe I have now bought a new one.

However their reading was that my nitrate was too high but all the others were good,so I have to do 3 daily water changes..

Hi Nemo, I can't help but wonder , what was the Nitrate reading to warrant 3 water changes a day?
Seems to me a very extreme amount of water to change daily.
What size tank is it? length x width x height.

Pete

#20 Neddy

Neddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

I think its 3 daily water changes pete, as in one water change every day for three days.I think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users