Photo

I Caught 2 Fish :)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#21 Clownman

Clownman
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

The aquarium trade and views are to each there own, just like opinions. You think it's fine to take home an esky of female breeding size fish for dinner, yet complain about someone collecting a few inverts and fish which I can garuntee probably last a lot longer in a home tank, then your stomach and believe they are in the wrong? Evaluation of your high and mighty self might be in order. Laws may be laws, but you don't obey them all, that's fact. As already stated, if you've ever
Changed a light bulb yourself, and your not a qualified electrician you have broke the law. Are you going to go call one everyone time you need a light changed? No. Laws may have no direct relation to each other but the principle is the same.

Edited by Clownman, 23 February 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#22 Evil_Boof

Evil_Boof
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

your talking apples and oranges. recreational fishing for the purposes of a feed is completely different to taking home fish to put in your aquarium...

you can try to justify it all you want...

and show me the law that says you cant screw in a light bulb if you dont hold an electrician certificate

#23 Clownman

Clownman
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

What's the difference? Your taking fish and killing them, we simply and selectively attempt to catch for
Survival in a home tank. How can you justify one as wrong and one as right? As posted above, all of those are Australian laws that have not been abolished. Google is your friend.

#24 Evil_Boof

Evil_Boof
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

well i guess no one will tell you what to do.. your bigger and stronger than the law im sure.. untill water police catch up with you and fine your sorry ass into bankruptcy for what your doing.

and hopefully catch up with your lfs owner friend and do the same.

#25 gully

gully
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

to be honest i know garry very well and he is not one to do anything seriously wrong what is wrong is how you people can judge somone without any first hand knowledge of what a person is about you complain about how the fish industry is dying and whinge and cry all the time for buying fish over east and how another lfs has closed down because people breed to much at home and support the lfs you guys need to realise a main reason this industry is dying is because you people have nothing better to do with your time than have a bitch and a cry and be keyboard warriors against a guy you dont even know i was willing to spend my $25 today to be a member of this site because i love the industry but everytime i come on here theres always someone having another cry get over yourselfs the stuff i've seen people writing on here i bet they wouldnt say it to the persons face at all but getting back to the point i dont see the harm in what garrys doing im sure you all have broken the law atleast once or twice and for you to call somone you dont even know "stupid" i think you are the most childish person out if you actualy knew him u'd know that he is a really intelligent guy and has done alot of good in his life. its time to grow up people im only 21 and there alot of people older than me on here and your all acting like kids!

and sarah do you feel proud about re posting someones name and number you dont even know? time to grow up at least hes trying to get a job not like the kids our ages that sit at home with there mummy and daddys and get everything handed to them and just be dole bludgers and its people like you that complain about them not having a job well look at yourself if your that rude to somone trying to get a job why would they want to try after uve just pulled that crap on them grow up!

Edited by gully, 23 February 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#26 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hi Gully

I'm finding it hard to follow your post. I can't tell where one bad point ends and another starts!

Age has nothing to do with this, at 21 you are no child, I am only a couple years older then you mate. Your friend has knowingly broken laws that are in place to protect local biodiversity, not only that but has encouraged others to do the same. No, I don't know him personally. But to me if you are going to behave in this manner then I don't think much of you, simple. To me this is more an issue of environmental degradation first and foremost, it is secondly a threat to our hobby.

I'm not sure what other wonderful things your friend has done with his life. It is irrelevant. Acting tough, "you wouldn't say it to my face" isn't going to get you far in life.

Justify it which ever way you like. You have broken the law, laws that are in place to protect the wildlife you supposedly love. Then have tried to justify your actions through some circular logic.

I'm really over this.

If breaking the law and flaunting it is your thing, then so be it. Things always have a way with catching up with people.

Take care,

Alex

#27 gully

gully
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

did i ever say you guys wouldnt say that to my face? no i didnt.
the stuff i've seen people writing on here i bet they wouldnt say it to the persons face at all
and as i said each to there own and if you dont like sompthing keep it to yourself! people like YOU are ruining the hobby and this website for all the crying you do! i read the why havent you joined pcs post and i finaly have a good reason. because of the crying people do on here if you dont like sompthing keep it to yourself unless there is a serious matter going on. theres no need to go this far with this topic as ive seen on quite a few other topics.

#28 Clownman

Clownman
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

Haha hey gully, how's things? Don't take the guy seriously, I've been flooded with pm's regarding the topic all in support. It's just one dudes oppinion and everyone has there own, he has a valid point that laws are there for a reason, but to me, the ocean is and always will be free game. I'm not about to go to the Great barrier or coral bay anytime soon, nor would I collect a few specimens from the marine reserves, but as far as collecting a few Benny's, stripeys or inverts from a local fishing beach goes, in my oppinion, go for gold. As mentioned earlier perth local species are not desirable and are certainly in abundance. When you see schools of Old wives and the likes in packs of 50+ I'm pretty sure one wouldn't be missed.

Edit- I have work, just finished a mining contract and as such am on holidays. Which I would like to spend getting exp in the Industry. Which could lead to a career change. We need some decent chefs up north if your keen gully smile.gif

Edited by Clownman, 23 February 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#29 gully

gully
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

yeh nah your right just over the bitching on hereits like being in primary school fighting over whose got who's pen lol but yeh not bad mate just working trying to set up all my 6fters gotta come round one day and give me a hand! haha

#30 Cam85

Cam85
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

One thing springs to mind. If its illegal dont do it.

#31 Clownman

Clownman
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

Pcs is known for its keyboard warriors. Check RTAW- MASWA ect- all of which have there own sub forum for diving and collecting your own fish/inverts/local corals. Why? Cause they are realists. What do you do web you want a stripey or the likes, yet no lfs sells them as they aren't generally in demand. Go get ya own smile.gif

#32 gully

gully
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

One thing springs to mind. If its illegal dont do it.

funny you say that! sompthing springs to mind aswell! if your going to have a cry dont post it to people who dont care! hahaha!

Edited by gully, 23 February 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#33 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Clownman @ Feb 23 2012, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check RTAW- MASWA ect- all of which have there own sub forum for diving and collecting your own fish/inverts/local corals

LINKY
Link to a similar thread on RTAW

#34 Clownman

Clownman
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

One thread, out of how many hundreds? And If you read that, 6 fish/inverts every 28 days for non licensed holders. Live rock and sand from protected areas is not ok. Not to mention although everyone in that link knows its illegal, how many discourage it? Very little to none, except for one or two
Arrogant tools. Who's gonna pay 50k to collect a few fish over the course of 10+years? I sure as hell ain't. And believe me, of I did pay that much I would rape the ocean dry and probably still never profit with my severely lacking fish hunting skills.

Have you ever tried netting a fish with an aquarium fish net? Not very easy, especially on snorkel.

#35 Evil_Boof

Evil_Boof
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

" the stuff i've seen people writing on here i bet they wouldnt say it to the persons face at all "

mate.. that made me laugh. i have no problem saying anything to anyones face.

the thing about the internet is, if you dont know the person your talking to.. you have NO IDEA who they are. i wouldnt go betting on anything...

#36 gully

gully
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

ha boof well see about that and you know what i agree with what your saying you dont know who your talking to on the internet or who that person knows same as you dont know who me and criddle are or who we know and i can tell you we arnt very intimidated people smile.gif want to take it further you can say your piece at the next meeting smile.gif

#37 Clownman

Clownman
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

As you said, you don't know who they are or what they are capable of. Are you sure you would say anything to anyone? I have no issues standing ground, but I wouldn't call the 7ft Maori "rock machine" member living next door a bitch.. Nor would I attempt to preach like some hippies on here do. Need more joy in their lives IMO.

Edit- not trying to come across in any way.. Just sayin I agree that everyone's a hero behind a desk, and yes views and opinions turn into heated debate due to that safety blanket. I bet a lot of the heated discussions on here wouldn't go so far if they where done in person, IMO, not because everyone's a tough $&$&, but because a lot of people are just full of hot air.

Edited by Clownman, 23 February 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#38 Sarahhhhh

Sarahhhhh
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (gully @ Feb 23 2012, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and sarah do you feel proud about re posting someones name and number you dont even know? time to grow up at least hes trying to get a job not like the kids our ages that sit at home with there mummy and daddys and get everything handed to them and just be dole bludgers and its people like you that complain about them not having a job well look at yourself if your that rude to somone trying to get a job why would they want to try after uve just pulled that crap on them grow up!

Gully,

Thank you for the advice, but I'm pretty sure I have "grown up". My only point was that he has posted that he is looking for a job, yet he is showing blatant disregard for the law and perhaps he needs to consider that if he does want a job in this industry.

I apologise if I offended either of you, and I will remove my comment, but flouncing in and arguing with people who know their stuff and take this hobby very seriously isn't really the way to employment.

#39 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Time to finish this up now, everyone has valid points buts its time to move on smile.gif

#40 Clownman

Clownman
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

It's not a matter or arguing, people either support the collection f wild animals or they support tank breds. The only difference between collecting a few fish or inverts once in a while for a thriving reef tank and being legally able to do it is a 50,000$ license. And if you paid for that license, your going to be collecting a lot more then someone looking for a few snails/hermits for they're CUC. What hurts the biodiversity and
Ecosystem more? 1-2 fish every few years for personal viewing, or someone collecting species to near extinction on a scuba, then selling them to lfs for ridiculous prices.

You cannot get Perth local species any way other then catching them yourself, what would you propose to do, to go about collecting them legally? Cause I'm sure as hell not planning on buying a license for the three fish I have successfully caught in the last 10years.

In regards to the industry, it is not about the wildlife preservation, you take it upon yourselves to go that far. A pet store/aquarium is still and always will be foremost a business. And as such, quality, knowledgeable staff with sales exp is all that's needed. The persons personal preferences to where his fish come from has no relevance or correlation to his work ethic and personal nature.

Edit- agreed with rig, however if someone wishes to enlighten me on how to collect fish and hermits/snails legally then by all means do so via pm. As far as I was aware, any form of collection required a commercial license which is quite frankly ridiculous.

Edited by Clownman, 23 February 2012 - 05:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users