IMG_9265.jpg

IMG_9264.jpg

IMG_9260.jpg

Thank you aquatix for the german imports

#2 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

Cichlids and the like aren't really my thing, but man they are cool looking, obviously some sort of tropheous - don't think ive seen these in stores, nice little gems you got there!

#3 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:43 PM

Cichlids and the like aren't really my thing, but man they are cool looking, obviously some sort of tropheous - don't think ive seen these in stores, nice little gems you got there!

Thanks Jules, I don't think they are around in Au too much.  

They are tropheus.  Tropheus caramba red bishops.  I think they are a strain that causes a lot of arguments amongst keepers, importers and breeders.  My understanding is that they are line bred mutation which is similar to any specifically line bred species (including my german shepherd).  They are caramba's and are fully pinkish/orange versions of the karamba sp. tropheus.   Maybe they piss people off as they are called red bishops but as my wife and friends said to me are actually just little orange gold fish... ha.  Little orange gold fish would of been a cheaper option. 

I ordered them in with the German import from Aquotix and when doing research on them there is issues of dodgy imports of tattooed up albino fish and poor lines.  I'm super happy with our mob.

They are an melanism (means just different pigmentation of the norm) which is kinda like an albanism except they don't have creepy pink eyes.  

My understanding is that when collecting wild tropheus they occasionally found the freak mutations of the reds and then inbred them to be a new strain.  I just love their colour and their big dopey eyes :)  They have the crazy puppy dog personality of all of the tropheus with the most distinct cool eyes I've seen due to their coloration.

Some one in Perth ordered in a mob of inbred pure gold Tropheus too, I hope they breed them and sell some to me :)

BTW/

I am quite sensitive about the topic if any one describes them as gold fish.

#4 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

Return of the Spongebob Biotope ;-)

#5 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

Return of the Spongebob Biotope ;-)

My kids love the sponge bob ornaments (think it killed mattia a little selling them to me).  Funny though they love the pineapple more than the natural rocks and these guys and the last tropheus we had kept pushing sponge bob over, they just dont like the look of him.

#6 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

Anyone remember Krystals SpongeBob Biotope?
I almost set up a spongebob tank for my kid recently

Oh, and nice Tropheus by the way. I've seen the arguments about red bishops. Either way, they are nice looking fish.

#7 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:19 PM

Thanks Jules, I don't think they are around in Au too much.  

They are tropheus.  Tropheus caramba red bishops.  I think they are a strain that causes a lot of arguments amongst keepers, importers and breeders.  My understanding is that they are line bred mutation which is similar to any specifically line bred species (including my german shepherd).  They are caramba's and are fully pinkish/orange versions of the karamba sp. tropheus.   Maybe they piss people off as they are called red bishops but as my wife and friends said to me are actually just little orange gold fish... ha.  Little orange gold fish would of been a cheaper option. 

I ordered them in with the German import from Aquotix and when doing research on them there is issues of dodgy imports of tattooed up albino fish and poor lines.  I'm super happy with our mob.

They are an melanism (means just different pigmentation of the norm) which is kinda like an albanism except they don't have creepy pink eyes.  

My understanding is that when collecting wild tropheus they occasionally found the freak mutations of the reds and then inbred them to be a new strain.  I just love their colour and their big dopey eyes :)  They have the crazy puppy dog personality of all of the tropheus with the most distinct cool eyes I've seen due to their coloration.

Some one in Perth ordered in a mob of inbred pure gold Tropheus too, I hope they breed them and sell some to me :)BTW/

I am quite sensitive about the topic if any one describes them as gold fish.

whilst I don't doubt that color mutations are seen or collected in the wild,,,, most mutations occur in the aquaria breeders quarters,,,,,,, this is because hundreds are bred and nearly all survive unlike the wild,,,,, so probability is considerably amplified, also unlike aquaria, nature tends to be harsh on mutations and albinoizm,, and in the aquarium they are nursed.
Many Asian countries are very good at doing this as they dedicate much time breeding excessive numbers from combinations to boost line breeding, the market over in those places can support this high activity also,,,

Also nic named red Phoenix, I actually bred them but the worst Tropheus I ever tried with, just can't tell they're holding and they only carry 1-2 fry,,, speaking to others they've encountered the same.
Have to say tho, the best tropheus species to watch, they're just that little bit extra run a muck compared to other Tropheus.
Just to add, I purchased my young original breeding stock from Aqoutix, out of a tank filled with them almost 200 or more.
These can be more so prone to waisting compared to other tropheus,, keep filters and substrate maintained,,, small feeds and often,,, try to keep their metabolisms working,,, a great fish,, I had a small group of Synodontis petricola dwarf cats with mine,, and both complimented each other excellent and lived together well.

Edited by Buccal, 31 March 2016 - 11:28 PM.

#8 Maaxim

Maaxim
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

Great looking fish!

Tropheus.... big or small orange or black, red or green .................. I LOVE THEM ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :D

#9 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:45 AM

Edited by chrishaigh82, 23 April 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#10 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:27 PM

https://youtu.be/BtHGhoPAOTk

http://<iframe width...creen></iframe>

Edited by chrishaigh82, 23 April 2016 - 09:28 PM.

#11 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:09 PM

Great looking fish. I have some, but very hard to come by.
Those have some stunning color!!
Very nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users