Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Anyone interested in Cynotilapia Afra Cobwe?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 RudyFonseca

RudyFonseca
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 February 2004 - 09:06 AM

Guys,

I'm in the process of trying to organise the imprort of some Cobwe from the East coast. Is anyone interested in getting some?

Has anyone shipped fish before and do you know the costs associated with it?

Any help would be aprreciated,
Rudy

#2 Croona

Croona
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 February 2004 - 10:24 AM

i maybe interested in a few (maybe 4 or 5) depending on price/size...but i havnt looked into it much, i'm just looking for some sorta mbuna to live with a colony of mine.

#3 Guest_sajica_*

Guest_sajica_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2004 - 03:39 PM

I'm with Croona, I'd like a rough estimate on the price per fish, then I'll decide from there.

#4 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:57 PM

Hi Rudy,
just so you know...

I have tried to do things the way you are going...asking people to join in with you in the risk, cost, etc of shipping with no luck.

The best way to get it to happen is to talk to a supplyer of the fish that you are interested in and check on their stock numbers. Then work out the $ V's Risk factor and the freight.
After doing all the investigation, etc, place an add in the Classifieds with a $/fish price and see what happens.

Good luck.

HTH

#5 hyperdive

hyperdive
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:28 AM

I think Rudy is talking about my fish. They will be approx $10 per 3-4cm fish, plus you cover the freight. They travel exceptionally well in small groups per bag, so you should have fairly low shipping costs as I'd be able to send several fish per bag.

I sent a heap to Adelaide recently 7 to a bag without any fatalities (or even any fighting).

The fish are all first generation offspring from the original two imports.

If you want more info, email me at andy(AT)divefreak.com

Here is a pic of one of the up and coming young males:

Cheers

Andy

#6 finding newo

finding newo
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2004 - 07:44 AM

I might be up for a bag of 7.
Depends on what freight costs... anyone know?

#7 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:20 PM

scp.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2939

"Went to AAE this morning to send a shipment and found out their rates went up last Friday.
The new basic charge is now $46 - up from $40.
To WA it is now $6.95/kg - up from $4.49/kg - an increase of over 54%
To MELB and Brisbaneare are now $3.75/kg - not sure of what they used to be.
All NSW country shipments have a $60 basic charge and all are $4.50/kg.
These rates are ex Sydney and will vary from other capitals.
I will ring Virgin later when I get time and post those up as well"...(Anita_ozfish)

#8 finding newo

finding newo
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:00 AM

So whats the story with these fish?
Anyone still going ahead with a purchase?

#9 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:32 AM

Hi Rudy,
Virgin airlines freight is half that of AAE... I suggest you arrange to transport your purchase through them. As discussed via email, I am interested in 10 (3 male, 7 female, as per SCP) if you go ahead.

merjo

#10 RudyFonseca

RudyFonseca
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:03 AM

Hi guys,

Was close to finalising with Aus Air, but with the new information provided I will be ringing Virgin to organise shipment TOMMOROW for next week. merjo, if you are still interested, I would like to share shipping costs.

Anyone still interested in getting fish can E-mail me by 4.00 tommorow.

Andy, just to confirm, departure point is Newcastle Airport? I would like 4 males (including the gorgeous one in the pic, if at all possible) and 6 girls. I will email you once shipment is confirmed to get payment details organised.

Rudy

#11 finding newo

finding newo
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:06 AM

Hey Rudy,
Im also interested in the 10 Fish deal.
Any ideas how soon they will get sent over?
Email me at yal at iinet.net.au or just give me a buzz on 0401761155. :good

Owen.

#12 RudyFonseca

RudyFonseca
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:11 AM

Owen,

I'll probably ship all the fish over at my cost and then advertise them in the classifieds as Mazim has suggested. I'm unsure on the turnaround or when Andy can drop off the fish, but I'm looking at getting them here in about two weeks.

Rudy

#13 finding newo

finding newo
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:13 AM

Okay sounds good, just aslong as you know how to sex them... otherwise I dont mind meeting you at the airport and grabbing a bag. :good

#14 Sith

Sith
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:34 PM

Rudy once you work out your shipping and stuff let me know how much a small group is gonna be going for.. (something like 1M 3-4F)

#15 RudyFonseca

RudyFonseca
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2004 - 01:03 AM

FYI,

Virgin Blue shipping will equate to about $50/ polystyrene box. I currently have Andrea and Owen as interested, and it looks like 30 fish, made up of three batches of 3m/ 7fem (and probably sub males).

If all of them do fit, our overall cost will be the $50/ three and Andy's price of $10/fish (so $100 for each group of ten).

All up about $117 per colony or $12 bucks a head (assuming everyone gets here safe).

BUT here is the Issue: Andy lives in Newcastle, which is a 6 hour round trip from Sydney Airport (Not exactly good for him or the fish) and Virgin doesn't ship freight from Newcastle Airport (No facilities or something). Any suggestions?

Rudy

#16 mrseby

mrseby
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2004 - 01:25 AM

My advice !!!!

would be to give $50 more to Andy for the trouble and drive !!!
Still would make the fish supa cheap and will help with petrol cost etc

All depends if Andy would do this !!!!

only a suggestions

Good luck :good

#17 mrgreen

mrgreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2004 - 10:44 PM

50 bux for 6 hours driving ahhahaha , wat about wear and tare and the x factor for accidents , and i meen hes gunna need a feed and a couple of drinks , lol
just get aae on the job , ull forget about the $$$ wen the fish hit the tank tongue.gif

#18 hyperdive

hyperdive
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 February 2004 - 03:58 AM

Rudy, I just emailed you.

I'm happy to make the 6 hour return trip to Virgin in Sydney if you can either make up the sales or give me some fuel money.

I'm not worried about the hassle. I've been put out worse than that before :lol

It sounds like Virgin will save you a bit of money, so we should consider it. AAE can be a bit dodgy, although the last time I used them I sent 54kgs of fish to adelaide no problems (even if AAE couldn't track the shipment and I had to get qantas to find out if it actually arrived!)

Reply to my email and let me know what you think.

Andy

#19 hyperdive

hyperdive
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 February 2004 - 05:24 PM

If you can find out if Virgin Blue has a flight leaving on the morning of Saturday 6th March, we can probably drop them at the airport on the way to the Sydney auction (it's a bit out of the way, but not as bad as a dedicated trip.).

A flight leaving at between 12 midday and 2pm would be ideal, as we will be around that area at about 10 - 11am.

Andy

#20 Anita ozfish

Anita ozfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 February 2004 - 06:54 PM

You should also check then if Perths quarantine inspectors are available on a Saturday afternoon otherwise they will be sitting there till Monday :eek

electral@bigpond.com | web | Sydney, Australia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users