Photo

Tim's Tankzilla Two-tier

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:20 PM

It has only taken more than a year to finally get through to actually start planning, researching and deciding on my replacement for my 6x2x2 and 6x2x18 setup. I was actually going to replace them with new tanks of the same dimension, just slightly customised. Then one day while I was explaining to my partner where everything goes and what it's going to look like, she said "you know you could put something bigger there, you have enough room along the wall".

That was it!! She didn't have to say that twice. Out went the old plan, and something new was drawn up. But what to do when you essentially have permission to put *any* size tank in the house as long as it fits to the wall length?

After a lot of calculations, research and some more calculations, I finally settled on the size of my new two-tier setup. The top tank will be an 8x3x2.3 and the bottom tank an 8x2.5x1.5 (length/width/height). Knowing that the top tank would weigh in at a mind-boggling 1600kg or more when fully filled, the next hurdle was to get a stand that would take this weight and more.

I asked around and there was nobody who could build a custom metal stand to those specs (or any specs for that matter). So I decided to go for a timber stand as a fellow PCS member very kindly offered to build it for me! Thanks very much Brad smile.gif
So today was the day and I went over to lend a hand and take some progress shots.

I will add more photos once the tanks are ready. Enjoy!

Specifications:
Top tank
8x3x2.3 (240x92x70cm)
12mm glass all around
1468 litres
246kg empty

Bottom tank
8x2.5x1.5 (240x73x46cm)
12mm base, 8mm sides
766 litres
109kg empty

Stand
240cm long
120cm high
92cm wide

1. the timber, already cut to size.

2. Two legs done, 6 more to go!

3. the basic frame, standing up for the first time. Every step of the way it was checked if everything was square and level.

4. the top is done apart from bolts, the bottom almost done. It was around the time it started to take shape when it was starting to draw the attention of the young ones smile.gif

5. All done and bolted up! Now it just needs some minor work here and there and it'll be complete.

6. To give a size comparison, Brad's daughters on their new (and temporary) toy.

Thanks for reading, there's more to come when the tanks are ready.

Update:

The stand has been moved to my place and over the past two weekends I have started to work on it. Sanding it down with fine sandpaper, cleaning it and then putting stain and varnish on last weekend for the first coat. Today I did the second coat and it's looking pretty good, no staining masterpiece but not too bad for a first effort smile.gif
I've also learned that using a mohair roller to apply the stain and varnish will cut the time by more than half!! And there I was using a frigging paintbrush last weekend angry.gif wacko.gif
Today it's taken me less than two hours to apply the coat. Last weekend I was working on it for about 5 hours.
I still need to do touch ups and put the second coat on the underside.

Question: how do I dispose of mineral turps? It doesn't say on the bottle or the stain can.

After this the MDF will go in, the hole will be cut in the top MDF board and the stand will be moved inside to be levelled. Stay tuned!

Update 30/11

Another coat went on last friday and the stand was moved inside to its new place the next day. Much to my delight the stand is perfectly level!! So no fiddling around needed.
The bottom tank is finished and the top one in the works. Not much longer to wait, enough time to make decisions about substrate, filtering, fish etc etc etc.......

Update 11/1

Today the Bonds Removal guys delivered my tanks! They did a great job and there is no way this could have been achieved with just manpower, equipment was absolutely necessary.
So here are the first photos of the tanks in their final place:

To my delight the tanks are still perfectly level:

And to give an idea of how big it is, I got my wife to take a photo of my ugly self standing in front with outstretched arms around the corner.

I will add more photos of details like the plumbing holes soon.
The top tank will get a proper border around the bottom so the MDF and poly are hidden.
The top tank still needs to fully cure so I will not be putting any water in just yet. But the bottom tank will get filled soon and checked for leaks, before the fishies can move into their new home.

Big thanks go to Oliver and the crew from Aquotix for his patience and advice, Bonds Removals for a terrific job and my wife for putting up with all this smile.gif

Update 24/1

I finished putting all the plumbing onto the top tank. I fitted the bulkhead yesterday and filled it up a little to test the seal (ok so far!). Today I fitted the pipes and valves that go underneath the top tank.

Here you can see the bulkhead inside the tank.

This is what it looks like underneath.

These are the valves. I purchased some Hansen valves, they are a bit dearer but I think you get what you pay for. I found this to be true with most garden/plumbing equipment. I used a T-piece to split the pipe so that one end goes to the canister and the other I can attach a hose to for draining.

On the left is the canister end, the right the hose can click on. The canister end will have a converter end on it that allows attachment of the filter hose.

Tomorrow I will fill the tank up to half to put some pressure on the pipe joints and see if they hold. The next step is to fill it up full and check. Then the sand goes in and aqua scaping begins!!

Update 31/1

It has taken a few days work setting up the top tank, rinsing 180kg of sand and putting it in, bucket by bucket, climbing up the ladder. Then filling it up full, turning on canister 1 and letting it move the water overnight. The next day I started cleaning the limestone from my old tank and putting it in the new one, cleaning canister 2 and hooking it up to the plumbing. Then I transferred all the fish. One of the bigger fellas managed to jump out of my net/hand and fell 2 meters onto the tiles! I quickly put him in and he must have sustained a concussion or something because he swam all weird, upside down and in circles, poor guy sad.gif But after about 20 minutes he was back to normal and now he is doing fine smile.gif
Talking about doing fine, the fish LOVE their new home. They have spread out nicely, there was no chasing as had happened when I previously moved them or restructured the rocks. I put some smaller Venustus in there and they are staying in a school, moving around the tank in between the big guys, it looks awesome! All fish are taking full advantage of the room, inhabiting all layers of water. One of the small Venustus I could see was starting to colour up in his old growout tank, boy did he change colour once he was in the big tank! Before it was a light hint of blue, now it's a glowing blue on his cheeks and body.

While taking some photos I also managed to get a good one of my juvi male Placidochromis milomo VC-10:

Shots of the finished tanks:

There are still bits and pieces to do, but the bulk is done and I am very happy with the result. Thanks again to everyone who helped me, I appreciate all the hands on help and advice.
I realised that since I started keeping fish, I have always upgraded tanks in size so that I could fit the old tank into the new one, LOL laugh.gif I wouldn't go bigger than this though, unless it is somehow built into the house or the house is especially set up for it.

#2 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

Very nice tim and well done brad.

Looks like it will be at a great viewing height too.

Can't wait to see the new glass boxes to go on top too

#3 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:37 PM

Great craftsmanship there Brad!

#4 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

It turned into a bit of a mission but we got there in the end.
In the photo with the kids on the stand , Leah on the left is 6 and Chloe on the right is 3
just for a bit more of a comparision on how big this setup will be.
Cant wait to see the tanks on it.... pls hold the weight ... pls hold the weight...Just kidding Tim it will be fine.

Brad

#5 CCA001

CCA001
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:59 PM

You should have spoken to the boys at Seaview Aquariums they made my 8x2x2 stand about 10yrs ago and its still holding up smile.gif

They have made plenty more which have been bigger aswell.

Other than that NICE WORK Brad smile.gif

#6 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:17 AM

NOW you tell me tongue.gif
That said I am very happy with the final product and the cost smile.gif

#7 mdk54

mdk54
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:18 AM

Very nice work mate! Can't wait to see it with the tanks on it!

#8 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:25 PM

Looking good Tim and great write up too.

The shot from the end is a great one to show off the design - essentially it looks like Brad has built a stand for the bottom tank and another stand for the top built over and around the bottom one. Very solid looking, can't imagine you'll have any problems with it not bearing the weight.

#9 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

Yes Brett, I wanted the bottom tank to have its own load bearing legs rather than putting additional stress on the big legs. What you can't see is that Brad has used special glue to hold the pieces together, screws and then the huge bolts to finish off.

I'll be varnishing the stand once it's at my place to make it a bit more resistant to water.

#10 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

looks fantastic , love the engineering of the stand .

years ago i built a 7 foot steel stand ( very over engineered ) that ran a sump tank underneath

the biggest problem i had was getting the bottom tank into its position in the house!!!

just remember if its going inside , if you carry the stand inside before putting in your bottom tank you'll need 17 foot of room to position it.

better to get bottom tank in outside and carry whole lot inside , although at 3foot wide where is this badboy going to live?

inside , outside , in a room with a sliding door?

well done guys very impressed

Cheers
Steve Green

#11 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:18 PM

Thanks Steve smile.gif
This setup will be in my main "living area" if you can call it that, it's a large tiled area between the kitchen and games room with a sliding door to the backyard. The door is wide enough to carry the stand and tanks inside without taking fingers off. What I haven't decided yet is whether I will put the stand in place next to the wall and level it perfectly, then try and awkwardly slide the bottom tank in. Or whether I will have it away from the wall so the bottom tank can be slid in easily, but then it may be harder to move the stand to the wall and have it level.

It's doing my head in.

#12 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (Cawdor @ Nov 4 2009, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's doing my head in.

hahahaha , try building them into the walls with no visible accessories!!!

sucks eh ......... but worth it 10 fold

great job guys

Cheers
Steve Green

#13 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

Updated today, see first post.

#14 Warby

Warby
  • Validating

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

Looking very good Tim ... as for disposal of mineral turps: The easiest way is to burn it off, residue left after you've burnt it will be absolutely bugger all and perfectly safe to go into your regular rubbish.

#15 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Looks great mate, you have done an awesome job! I know what sought of of patients and stuffing around you would had to have gone through to biuld that lol!

Good on ya can't wait to see the end product.

You can take the turps to the tip; if you don't need it, i just keep mine in the shed up high from the little ones.

#16 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

Cheers guys and thanks for the advice smile.gif
I have done a little update in my first post, I'll take some pics soon.

#17 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:30 AM

Any updates Tim... Got the tanks yet?

Brad

#18 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:07 AM

The tanks will be delivered this coming monday biggrin.gif
I'm looking at substrate tomorrow (or today, rather, given the time) and putting the finishing touches on the stand so it's all ready to go.
Not all of my fish will be transferred into the new tanks, I will be giving them away so keep an eye open for a post in the next few weeks smile.gif

I'm very excited as you can imagine!

#19 CubanB

CubanB
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

nice setup in progress mate. the stand has come out really nice. what fish will be going in it?

#20 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Thanks smile.gif
I had a look at the top tank today without the front panel and with backgrounds put in. Every time I see it I can't help but grin, haha laugh.gif

So far the list is:

Nimbochromis venustus - colony
Copadichromis borleyi "Kadango red" - colony
Placidochromis milomo VC-10 - colony
Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" - colony
Chilotilapia rhodesii - colony
Megalechis thoracatum "Spotted Hoplo" - single
Ancistrus sp. - 2 breeding pairs

I'm open to suggestions too! biggrin.gif The C rhodesii will be the most aggressive so I don't want to add any other aggressive species. I'm looking for fish that grow to about the same size as the others and complement the colours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users