Photo

2500 L Tank

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:06 AM

Ok i have decided to bite the bullet again and build what i call my ultimate tank set up at first calculations it seems it will be either 2300 or 2498l give or take a liter.

my big questern is i would like to put it on here as a step by step guide of how i did it etc however how would you guys like to read it at the end or a week by week acount ?

#2 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:23 AM

Week by week for sure smile.gif Start up a tank journal!

All the best decisions happen at 3AM hey? I'm up working on my big build too biggrin.gif

#3 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

Ok pcs crew this is my first log of my fish tank build its not gona be supper huge but plenty big enough it will house my most sort after tank busters hopefully i can create it big enough to keep a rtc i will acquire one at any cost.
I know not everything i do to this tank will suit some,s taste and likeness but that’s what this thread is for.
especially the thickness of glass i will use however i have consulted my insurance company and glass supplier and it’s what they both recommend.

So down to brass tax, I have had this idea in my head for a few years i sort of built a smaller one years ago but it was a failure and I learnt a lot from that tank.
Now i will not be using glass for the whole tank just the front i will be making it mainly from marine\form ply fibreglass etc
So far I’m trying to work all the dimensions out so as I can fit it in my house this will need to be craned over my home into the back yard grrr,i will be constructing it in my garage so might leave it in there who knows.

Any ways thanks for listing
Cheers phil

#4 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

ok so here are the dimensions i would like to work with

2400x1000x1000

The glass is clear float code 2 in 12mm(this is what has been recomended by a glass engineer and my insurance company ) 2350x 890

it will have a ply frame around the front thats why the glass is not going to be 2400x 1000 there will also be a strut going from the top to bottom

#5 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:02 PM

North star has a 8x3x3 not quite your size but has a stand pumps 500 seems a steal, and its wooden. Not sure if you want a project or the tank but just a suggestion...only 1950lts though

#6 bobby dazzla

bobby dazzla
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

Hey Ruffaz,

Looks like a good build. I'm sure you have seen this you tube video, but if not definately worth a look. I would love to do one like this one day. The full build is buried in the monster fish keepers forum. He talks about glass choices and alot of details about filtration.

... If that link fails search for "1500 gal 8 weeks" on youtube

Also there is a guy selling a 6x2x2 with a RTC on gumtree for $1000, could be worth grabbing and then moving the tank on later

#7 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

Sounds like a great idea, and documenting it with photos at each stage would be great to see. Like bobby said check through monsterfishkeepers.com, their has been quite a few tank builds on there. Some of them very impressive to say the least.

Best of luck with the project.

Alex

#8 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

yea id love to grab that rtc and tank its also on here for sale but i think the fish is too big for a 6x2x20 as it is.

And im guessing 3 months till i build this tank there are some great threads on mfk about theses tanks.

My goal is to build two tanks a year i would like to start a tankbuster housing service in the next few years and try and convince a local zoo or reptile park to take them on any ways will be a few weeks before any pics will be up need to clean out garage first and get my plans solid im a bit hesitant on glass sizing as 12mm seems too small but thats what all the glass calculators are coming up as ?

#9 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

Personally I would be asking a professional tank builder not an insurance company what size glass I should be using. All very interesting tho. Look forward to following the build.
Good luck with it all mate. Cheers.

#10 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

1000mm tall? Nah I'd be looking at 19mm glass minimum for that kind of height. Plus these fish aren't exactly tetras... When they hit the glass it's a lot of muscle and power.

#11 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

I agree.
Or 25mm Acrylic.

#12 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

the insurance company is what they stated i had to use to keep my house cover complete ?

do you think acrylic would be as clear as 19mm float at all ?

#13 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:28 PM

Acrylic is clearer than glass, but it scratches easy.
And is probably more expensive than the 19mm glass

#14 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

did the insurance company specify toughened glass?

#15 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

no just clear float

#16 SIXFOOTLONG

SIXFOOTLONG
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Kieran @ Apr 6 2011, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1000mm tall? Nah I'd be looking at 19mm glass minimum for that kind of height. Plus these fish aren't exactly tetras... When they hit the glass it's a lot of muscle and power.

my tank is 800 tall and is 19mm plate glass - any thiner on a 1000 tall you will need to go lammi plate/toughened and it will make the view crapola
not to mention with the fish you want + the pressure any excited fish and your going to end up with a very wet floor . suggest 25 mm plate and extra $100 PSM but for the worrying??
cant sleep for the first week thinking about the tank bursting/cracking every time the fish get excited at feeding time ?? well worth the extra moolah ....

just my opinion as a builder . do it once do it right !!!

what size glass do you need ?? let me know ill see what i can do for ya mate

Edited by SIXFOOTLONG, 08 April 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#17 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

2000x900 thanks

#18 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:18 PM

isnt toughened glass bad, as one small chip and BAM there goes the whole sheet?

#19 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

Pilkington glass calculator gives 26.32mm glass on 1mtr high, but they have a 3.8 safty factor built into their calculations. Don't ask me what hte 3.8 actually measures, I just don't know...So I would def go 25mm. They also say on a 750mm high is 17mm, but we all know 12mm will do it comfortably

Edited by fourdapostle, 08 April 2011 - 11:33 PM.

#20 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:50 PM

AAA's 2m x 1m x 1m tanks are made out of 19mm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users