Chinese Algae Eaters & Aquarium Salt

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

The reason I ask this is because about 6 months ago I bought some Aquarium Salt, as I thought it would be handy for when I do water changes on my goldfish tank at work, and I've been told that aquarium salt is good for goldfish. When doing my weekly water changes, I started using this aquarium salt. I used about quarter of a teaspoon of aquarium salt (not much) with every water change, which is 50% weekly (tank is approximately 45-50 litres). The tank inhabitants were 1 common goldfish, 1 shubunkin, and 1 chinese algae eater. The chinese algae eater died about 2 weeks after using aquarium salt. He got all puffed up and died. Then about 3 weeks back I finally got another chinese algae eater, and he died about 2 weeks later again.

1. I remember once being told that corydoras and "other catfish" are sensative to salt, and I want to know if chinese algae eaters are sensative to salt too?
2. If they are sensative to salt, should I stop using aquarium salt with water changes?
3. Are there cold water algae eaters that are suited to a goldfish tank where there is aquarium salt being used?

And yes I did google it, but didn't get the answer. Help and advice is appreciated smile.gif

Jason

#2 Niz

Niz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

This is tongue in cheek and probably no help at all, but the only thing I have found chinese algae eaters to be sensitive to is fire. Have seen them survive just about everything else smile.gif

laugh.gif

#3 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

The only thing there good for is burley. Even then not sure they would be good for that ether.
smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

#4 simmoman

simmoman
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

When I told my local fish shop I had an algae eater in the tank I bought he said get rid of it, they shouldn't be in any aquarium.

#5 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

they make good stuntman algae cleaners in the shop. like a big dovii tank that needs cleaning.

#6 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

ha ha yeah true. no love for the chinese algae eaters. any other suggestions? not sure if common b/n are any good in a goldfish tank

#7 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

If you wish to keep adding salt for the goldfish, I would recommend Aquasonic or similar where they add more than just pool salt to a jar. If you have a combination of NaCl and KCl, then the level of Na vs K will not be a problem for most fish, including cats and loaches. It is the plain NaCl salt (pool salt or similar) that, on its own, can be useful and also dangerous if used too much. Just like humans watching their sodium intake... too much sodium (Na) is not good... neither is too much Potassium (K) but together in the right ratio, they are safe to use.
Check the ingredient list on the packet, see if it contains more than just NaCl.

btw, chinese algae eaters are not considered suitable for fancy goldfish tanks - they have a habit of sucking onto the fish when you aren't watching.... but some have had success.... just keep the little suckers well fed.

#8 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the response Oli. The brand I use is API aquarium salt. I don't think I'll bother getting another chinese algae eater for the tank. Problem is, the plastic ornaments in the tank have this orange/brown algae growing on them. Algae eater cleaned all that up. Do you think a bristlenose would be any good? Or just stick with the 2 goldfish? I'll check the ingredients of the aquarium salt tomorrow when I get to work. In the mean time, do you think that I should stop using aquarium salt with water changes? Goldfish always looked healthy, I just started using the aquarium salt as I want to keep the goldfish happy

#9 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

The API Aquarium Salt is just sea salt (mainly NaCl) - you mainly pay for the information and instructions on the packet... and following the instructions, you will not see any issues with any fish. If you have a problem and you wanted to add more than instructed, then check again, and seek another product more suited to the situation (Aquotix makes their own salt mix for general medicating based on a former Jungle brand product from the 1980s and early 90s - check with them if ever you need such a product)

The brown algae is a diatom algae - it is a stage your tank will go through, and it will pass once water conditions change. Bristle Nose catfish would be far superior to the average sucker, so if you get further problems with algae or them latching onto your goldfish, trade the suckers in for BN.

#10 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Jas if it's not broken why change it. If they where happy then let them be.

#11 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (sandgroper @ Feb 6 2012, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jas if it's not broken why change it. If they where happy then let them be.

good advice - there are a lot of people keeping suckers with goldfish (though the general school of thought say otherwise due to averages) - there is always more than one way to..... keep fish.... (you thought I was going to say "skin a cat" - didn't you?)

keep doing what you are doing - if it works for you, be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users