Marron And Redfin

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DaveA

DaveA
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

Hi

First time post. I have just built an outside pond of about 4 metres x 2 metres by 1 metre deep. Pump, filter and fountain all going well. The pond has 75 x 50 mesh cover.

I want to put some Marron and Redfin perch in it. I know the rules about releasing redfin into local waters but they are just in a backyardpond a long way from any other water source. Marron should not be an issue unless they decide to walk. Marron eat redfin and redfin eat marron so as long as they are both reasoable size - say 300gram each then that should be ok.

Has anyone kept Redfin in a backyard pond?

Should I put a gravel base in the pond?. I have hollow logs, rock shelters etc. Any tips for feeding marron and redfin

thanks

Dave

#2 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

If you want to remain 'legal' you better check out the noxious fish list for redfin perch. You are probably not allowed to keep them at all.

If you catch any while fishing you are required to keep them. But that means keep as in kill, not keep as in keep alive.

Only the government is allowed to release dangerous fish like redfin perch, trout, carp, gambusia etc into our waterways.

I should add... Redfin Perch may have been removed from the noxious list, I haven't looked lately. But that doesn't mean they won't be put back on later. They were talking about removing them because anglers in Victoria have a nice strong lobby group unlike us fish keepers, and they like to release them into rivers and dams over there.

Since each state has its own list, WA could add them even if Vic doesn't.

#3 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

A safer option might be silver perch. You can source these readily from furguson springs and golden ponds. There are other places that stock them but I can not remember those off the top of my head. Use golden ponds as a last resort, as their fish have not been of the highest quality of late.

#4 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

you might want to look into the legalities of keeping marron as well while your at it!

#5 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:25 PM

nothing wrong with keeping marron?

#6 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

Just catch em, chuck em in ya pond and don't post any pics or talk about it on the forums.

At the end of the day, yes it's illegal to be in posession of live red fin, but i'm sure plenty of back yard ponds are stocked with them.

Marron on the other hand, as long as you go through the right channels it shouldn't be an issue to have in your backyard pond.

#7 Juls

Juls
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

Buy the marron legit from a marron farm and keep the receipt there is several farms here in perth. If you buy Juveniles they cost sfa.

Juls

#8 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:58 AM

mundaring weir is full of both..... many many years ago we used to paddle our canoe on the weir and catch redfin perch about 2-3kg.... myself and an indigenous decendant... 1/8th
so apparently it was all ok..... dunno bout that now... they have an exclusion zone round the weir...
we also caught some big koi and goldfish too... and marron were like monster crayfish....
we did get stopped by a ranger once and all we had was about a dozen redfin....
i remember him asking where the hell did you get them from.... in the weir bro!!!!... really???

i think he thought we were bull@%#*ing... lol

#9 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

So back then if you were of indigenous decent you could catch your tradional food (european redfin) and fish in your traditional hunting location (Mundaring Weir)? haha. Thats gold.

I can imagine there'd be some thumper old ex-home pet koi and carp swimming around in there, totally protected by recreational fishing restirctions on the drinking water source. Must be a fair few other surprises lurking in there too.

#10 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

yeah theres some big mutha fish in their too... got busted off couple times.... felt like a mulloway in the 20-25kg size..... but who really knows....
could be a freshwater croc released in the weir.... or some big catfish of south american or asian origin....
theres nothing in the weir that would stop them bulk feeding and becoming huge....
when i was much much younger i always wanted to release some tandannas and come back in 5 years time and go fishing for em....

#11 Juls

Juls
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:57 AM

The reason you get the marron from a farm is because it's illegal to posses marron out of season.

If you get caught carrying marron out of season its a on the spot $10,000 fine for the first marron and then $1000 on top for each marron after that. The law also states its illegal to transport marron between farms without a aquaculture license.

So for that reason you buy them from a commercial marron farm for a few bucks each and keep the reciept.

Juls

Edited by Juls, 27 November 2010 - 07:58 AM.

#12 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:58 AM

And apparently marron will walk... not tried it myself but have heard of people having their marron walk down the driveway...

I would advised against a gravel base in the pond just in case at some stage you want to vacuum the crap out of it... although marron does clean up the bottom but there will be crap since they are not going to eat their own crap...

Marron ... marron pellets from feed store... I got mine at City Farmer... big 20kg for $20 I think...

Redfin... not sure...

If you wish to try Silver perch, the other place is Gidgegannup... Carey Nagle...

#13 Juls

Juls
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

Marron can walk up to several km on land in search of water, they generally won't leave the water unless conditions are poor or overcrowded.

It's unlikely they could get out of the average steep walled pond.

It's important to maintain high oxygen levels with marron as they will try to leave if oxygen levels get too low.

Juls

#14 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:47 AM

yes very true we had a monster feed of marron 2 years ago when at my mates dam it hadnt rained for a long time... then when it did it washed this black crap into the dam and literally within minutes of it gushing into the dam marron started getting out of the dam and walking....

made it so easy to catch them.... we had about 300 marron about a foot long to divide up with all our mates that lived close by....

is it illegal to eat your own marron from your own dam on your own property out of season???? unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (Juls @ Nov 27 2010, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason you get the marron from a farm is because it's illegal to posses marron out of season.

If you get caught carrying marron out of season its a on the spot $10,000 fine for the first marron and then $1000 on top for each marron after that. The law also states its illegal to transport marron between farms without a aquaculture license.

So for that reason you buy them from a commercial marron farm for a few bucks each and keep the reciept.

Juls

what if you buy them from a fishop... blue ones - most shops have these days ? same deal - keep ya receipt

#15 DaveA

DaveA
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Juls @ Nov 27 2010, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Marron can walk up to several km on land in search of water, they generally won't leave the water unless conditions are poor or overcrowded.

It's unlikely they could get out of the average steep walled pond.

It's important to maintain high oxygen levels with marron as they will try to leave if oxygen levels get too low.

Juls

Ha - I found one this morning that had got out past the mesh and was on the lawn. It is a big marron as well - about 90mm carapace. We bought 4 of them from golden ponds. It had been out all night I think as it was not very lively. I hope it survives. I will also buy another pump as the waterfall and fountain may not be enough aeration.

I had the water quality tested at Gosnells and it was perfect so must be aeration or maybe the small amount of tap water I need each day to replace evaporation. The pond is about 7,000 litres. I would not have thought that 2 minutes running of a hose into the pond would have affected chlorine levels that much. Maybe I need to chuck in a 10ml of conditioner each time I top up??? I also caught a nice 35cm rainbow trout down south on Saturday (yes I have a freshwater license) and it survived well in an esky with aerator driving home but died yesterday. Maybe stress or perhaps aeration/chlorine again???

#16 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

Bigjohno,

From what you described, the black stuff washing into the dam might have been MBO (Monosulfidic Black Ooze) caused by organic deposition over a long period of time. The big rainfall event would have mobilised it. When MBO is disturbed it becomes oxidised, and the monosulfide very quickly (in matter of seconds) bonds with oxygen in water, effectively stripping the water of disolved oxygen. MBO is the same foul smelling sludge you get on the bottom of rivers/swamps/inlets etc. Harmless if left alone. Disturbing it is a big no-no.

#17 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (DaveA @ Nov 29 2010, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also caught a nice 35cm rainbow trout down south on Saturday (yes I have a freshwater license) and it survived well in an esky with aerator driving home but died yesterday. Maybe stress or perhaps aeration/chlorine again???

How deep in your pond? Rainbow trout do not survive well if your water temperature are above 23degC. Especially without sufficient oxygen. If you intend to eat the produce from the pond (ie. marron, redfin, etc), do not use the water conditioner. Most of them would have a fine print at the bottom. "Not suitable for fishes meant for human consumption"... I top up my 2000L and 1000L tanks straight from the tap with fishes in it... No problems... Your issue would either be temperature (rainbow trout) or the lack of oxygen...

Edited by Ivan Sng, 29 November 2010 - 01:39 PM.

#18 DaveA

DaveA
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

ivan

Pond is about 1 metre deep near the pump. I think it could use more aeration and that is pretty easy to organise with another pump and just bypassing the main filter. The second pump will then just be for aeration. I do a lot of freshwater fishing and understand that trout are a cold water fish that likes to sit in a well aerated position in a the wild natural river.

I will be looking at getting some Barra this weekend as they will survive the Perth summer heat better.

#19 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

Yeah. Not deep enough... This time of the year the best place for trouts is in the freezer...

But do get your aeration sorted out as well, as barra although a warm water fish would still need oxygen...

#20 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (Shane_H @ Nov 29 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bigjohno,

From what you described, the black stuff washing into the dam might have been MBO (Monosulfidic Black Ooze) caused by organic deposition over a long period of time. The big rainfall event would have mobilised it. When MBO is disturbed it becomes oxidised, and the monosulfide very quickly (in matter of seconds) bonds with oxygen in water, effectively stripping the water of disolved oxygen. MBO is the same foul smelling sludge you get on the bottom of rivers/swamps/inlets etc. Harmless if left alone. Disturbing it is a big no-no.

wow just learnt another valuable piece of knowedge to file away in the brain box for a rainy day.... cheers.....

i had about 50 x 1 foot marron in my 400 litre pond for a couple weeks till we ate them all..... lost a few claws during that time.....

QUOTE (Ivan Sng @ Nov 29 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How deep in your pond? Rainbow trout do not survive well if your water temperature are above 23degC. Especially without sufficient oxygen. If you intend to eat the produce from the pond (ie. marron, redfin, etc), do not use the water conditioner. Most of them would have a fine print at the bottom. "Not suitable for fishes meant for human consumption"... I top up my 2000L and 1000L tanks straight from the tap with fishes in it... No problems... Your issue would either be temperature (rainbow trout) or the lack of oxygen...

i top up straight from the tap too without any problem.... although i set the hose up with a garden nozzle and spray the water into the pond.... helps air off the chlorine and airate the water at the same time....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users