Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Anyone Seen Lepidiolamprologus Profundicola Lurking About???

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 goldenswimmers

goldenswimmers
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Hey guys Im on the hunt for Lepidiolamprologus Profundicola and they seem to be a hard fish to find....cool tang predator with some decent size...

Anyone heard of or seen these guys around?????

#2 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

L.elongatus
L.kendalli
L.atennuatus
Are the closest to profundicola in oz as I'm aware of so far.

#3 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

How big do they get ?

#4 goldenswimmers

goldenswimmers
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (Bowdy @ Mar 1 2013, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How big do they get ?

from most descriptions..looks like they max out at about 12"...nice larger sized Tang predator... smile.gif

#5 Scales

Scales
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

I want some, check out those chompers!!

#6 goldenswimmers

goldenswimmers
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Buccal @ Mar 1 2013, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
L.elongatus
L.kendalli
L.atennuatus
Are the closest to profundicola in oz as I'm aware of so far.

Im thinking your right mate...seems the L.profundicola never made it here so bad news on that front...I have been able to source some kendalli and now might start looking for some L.elongatus....so anyone seen these guys around lately..I know they are here so just hunting I guess smile.gif smile.gif

#7 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (goldenswimmers @ Mar 1 2013, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im thinking your right mate...seems the L.profundicola never made it here so bad news on that front...I have been able to source some kendalli and now might start looking for some L.elongatus....so anyone seen these guys around lately..I know they are here so just hunting I guess smile.gif smile.gif

Plenty elongatus in Perth about 3 years ago.
Maybe a wtb post may extract the last ones standing.
They have shown up again on rare occasions, there must be some.

#8 goldenswimmers

goldenswimmers
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

Ok rise zombie thread! :o

Well it seems Profundicola were getting around in Sydney in 2005 as some were up for sale at an auction soooooo :huh:  :huh:  :huh: I can only keep asking...

Yep if any other nice larger size lepidio's pop up Im very keen guys...elongatus..cunningtoni...I was lucky enough to get some of the attenuatus recently so some good news there.. B)

Yes lovin the lepidios ! ;)

Kendalli38.jpg

#9 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:02 AM

Vebas here in Perth have Kendalli. Very cheap too

#10 goldenswimmers

goldenswimmers
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (goldenswimmers @ Mar 1 2013, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im thinking your right mate...seems the L.profundicola never made it here so bad news on that front...I have been able to source some kendalli and now might start looking for some L.elongatus....so anyone seen these guys around lately..I know they are here so just hunting I guess smile.gifsmile.gif

Plenty elongatus in Perth about 3 years ago.
Maybe a wtb post may extract the last ones standing.
They have shown up again on rare occasions, there must be some.

Yep seems there was a few in Perth a few years back..what happened???....is there seriously no one still keeping this fish??..amazing the cycle these Lepidios go through and why Im really keen on these guys ...these fish could be so easily lost for good and that would be sad...and quite a few fishkeepers might not even know they existed :( ....

lelongatus2_zpscd8d6211.jpg

L.Elongatus :rolleyes:

#11 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:33 PM

There is someone on ace in the breeders registry that has young colonies of elongatus and Kendali.

#12 goldenswimmers

goldenswimmers
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

There is someone on ace in the breeders registry that has young colonies of elongatus and Kendali.

Im thinking that's vadnappa...and Ive been in touch with him...someone else(aqc) has also had luck with both of these guys that I know but the elongatus is still in a precarious position as in terms of livelihood in the hobby...Im saving my mooola for the elongatus but in the mean time I will keep an eye out for other possible populations plus the profundicola and cunningtoni varieties...we might be lucky enough to put in some breeding efforts and keep all the varieties we have alive and more stable in the hobby here...

• ice likes this

#13 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

There were lemarii here not that long ago but again they've not been kept readily available.

I got some attenuatus over a number of years ago but they had problems with deformities. If you looked at them from the top, the heads didn't follow a straight line with the body. Was worse in some more than others and I think probably a symptom of limited gene pool in aus from which these guys were bred.

#14 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:23 PM

They are just to aggressive and need a species only tank unless tank is large.
The attenuatus wasn't so bad though for agression.

Unfortunately these aggressive types usually are lost because they don't sell.
The first batch sells then the market is gone for them.
Those Lemarri were coming from Bayfish.

#15 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

I've kept the elongatus a few times and the kendalli too. Ironically I had the most success in a community setup. A 6x2x2 with a colony of about 20 large acei and 12 adult cuckoos. They bred in there but I could never keep two elongatus together in a species tank without one getting beaten to death - I know it can be done though.

I found the aggression to be largely conspecific but with a lrge enough group of non similar fishes it seemed the task of defending territory was too much effort. I'd like to try the setup again and good to hear there are some floating around in qld at least.

Yes they'll never be a popular fish but there always seems to be one or two people looking for them. Good luck with the search.

#16 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:55 PM

I had a 4x2x2 with a pair of Kendalli and a heap of leptosoma a very docile tank for quite some time,,,,, once I noticed the pair prepping and behaving like near to spawn the leptosoma were huddling up in the top corner,,, a few days later half of them were dead/killed.
I removed the rest,,, then next day female kendalli was dead with distended egg tube and the males gear was hanging out to.

A six foot is a nice big and better size to try,,, probably the way it's set up would make better success,,, as I tend to have very sterile with no furniture environments due to having so many tanks and a lot to manage,,, everything must be made easy for me.

They are worth the effort I would think though, as long as your prepared to trickle out juveniles to suit the market and go easy. :)

#17 goldenswimmers

goldenswimmers
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

Ha ha..I say flood the market! :)
These guys are going to control their own numbers...it would be a different case if these guys got along and could go into most set ups care free...I'm not sure people see enough full size Kendalli,elongatus etc to be an issue..I've noticed as my boy Kendalli gets bigger how much I really dig this fish..and he doesn't play nice so these guys becoming an overstocked fish would be hard to do..I think its the aggression that keeps people away and this family of fish(lepidio's) is always going to be hard to work with..so I think enjoy them when they are available..because it a definite "cycle" fish...and a big adult example is rare and awesome..but hey that's my opinion!!!..I think a group of dithers is the way to go along with space..but also think they 'clue' in pretty quickly as my dithers worked once and then it was beat up each other mode again pretty quickly..from what I've been reading in nature they cruise around individually so really think every fish will have its is own take on the sharing of a tank :)
Will try and get some pics up of my attenuatus..the boys are a good size and showing off to each other so its a cool sight :)

Edited by goldenswimmers, 22 April 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#18 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:03 PM

Would love to see them, if anyone does find any Profundicola id consider selling my little mangrove jack and rescaping my 6x2.5x2.5 into a tang tank.

#19 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

Lol, yeah flood the market,,, I didn't mean hold them back, when I said trickle them out, that's about what the market size is.
The Kendalli in a local shop here started out as roughly 30 about 10-11 months ago,,, there's still more than half there and they are super healthy and priced fairly low.
Different places, different times but it wouldn't be to dissimilar elsewhere I'd say.

#20 goldenswimmers

goldenswimmers
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:41 PM

Id like to see more people show off the big adults..surely some people have the lone kendalli survivors from "in tank" massacres :)

I think people seeing these fish in display tanks/full sized adults etc would really make the unawares appreciate them more...really are a unique kind of cichlid..

Little side note Ive been able to line up some more Kendalli from Vebas...and do agree with the above mate...there the type of fish when the numbers are high they don't get noticed...but when they go they don't pop up again for some time it seems..and yep that good ol aggression issue!...

Also a couple of snaps of the Attenuatus I was fortunate enough to get my hands on recently :)

DSCN0462_zpsompxonzf.jpg

DSCN0649_zpswgigp5gd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users