Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Flagyl Liquid And Tablet Form --> Any Different?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 daci

daci
  • Banned

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:03 PM

i want to know if there is any different between Flagyl liquid and tablet fomr. The liquid form seen to smell nice for human (thus have flavor or some things for the kids to drink)

please advise if ok on fish and dosage as well

cheers doc!

michael

#2 daci

daci
  • Banned

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

i am sure someone on this forum must have used it

here is what on the box:

Flagyl Suspension

"Metronidazole Benzoate 320mg/5ml
Equivalent to Metronidazole 200mg/5mL"

exactly on the box as above

i am sure some one on this forum must have used it

any help please

michael

#3 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:15 PM

I would not use suspensions that are aimed at children or animals unless you are sure that it does not contain any sugar... this can cause a bacterial bloom in the aquarium, ie; not good.

If you contact the manufacturer, and they say that it does not contain sugars, then 10ml (400mg of active product) per 100g of frozen food is a good start, depending on the species of fish being treated and the condition you are intending to treat. (I would still not add it to the aquarium... it is not as easily absorbed into the fish).

NB: Please be aware that it is not legal for me to advise or condone the use of products outside their labelled use (ie If it were obtained for human use, it cannot be used for animals unless advised by a vet, it is supposed to be a prescription only medication.)

For aquarium (ornamental fish) use, I can highly recommend Dimetridazol powder (DMZ) available from good vets. (I will PM you with a list of possible suppliers).
There are restrictions to the use of these products, and this includes not using it for animals intended for human consumption or to be used on animals being fed off to other animals intended for human consumption etc etc.....

#4 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

.....not saying this has happened or anyone has done this, but it should be noted that unless stated by the doctor all courses of antibiotics should be completed. There should be no left overs from human prescriptions. Not finishing your prescription can lead to bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics which is going to be an enormous challenge in the future for researchers. This not only has implications for the patient who has not completed the course, but for all of us.

Regards,

Donna

#5 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

I am afraid I have no personal experience with using the product in fish.
As Oliver suggested, I would be concerned about the coloring and flavouring agents added to improve palatability. While clearly not a problem for human consumption, they may have unexpected consequences for your fish or aquarium. Adding to feed would be a prefered option to adding to the water, but there are still risks.
As a general principle I tend to use the most pure form of any drug. That is without the addition of "extras" such as coloring, flavouring, binding agents, etc.

If you chose to experiment on your fish Michael, I would love to hear the results. This is how the safety profile of "new" products is established biggrin.gif

Cheers
Brett

#6 daci

daci
  • Banned

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:10 PM

ok, here is what i have gathered!

1. talk to your vet first before anything else
2. talk to your vet again
--------------------------------------------------
3. call in to see oliver (docfish)
--------------------------------------------------

i have also talk to my chemist friend:

flagyl supension:
- no sugar (tasted sweet because of the artifical sugar like the one for your coffee)
- small amount of alcohol (tested on one of my fish on a 5 mins bath in a bucket with air stone: he cames out tipsy! and i mean like a drunken fish, where as tablets flagyl same dose/same time/all good).
- flavouring + preservative + a lot of different things to make the liquid Metro suspended

Flagyl tablet:

- Metro: disolve in water (absolutely)
- harmless powder (not really disolve in water)
- if you don't like the powder bit then you can always filter the bit out with tissue papers and pour in the liquid

will let you guys know how things goes

michael

#7 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

Well, if it does not contain sugar (alcohol is reasonably safe in minute qtys, but do we know how much is in the suspension?) then it could be used, though I have not known of anyone who has done so, so you might want to try it out on one fish first for several days.... then let us know. I am concerned about the effects of the other ingredients such as the artificial sweetener.... might be one of the reasons why the fish looked drunk after 5 minutes, but don't have any info on this to say for sure...

If you can get DMZ, it comes as a 100% powder, soluble. And it is more effective than Metronidazole.

Good luck.

#8 muscle-man

muscle-man
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:45 PM

Hi there,

Usually i dont give opinion on this forum but i just want to point out something.

Flagyl suspension DOES NOT contains alcohol in it. Alcohol is contra-indicated in patient taking this type of antibiotic.

Alcohol: Alcoholic beverages and drugs containing alcohol, should not be consumed by patients being
treated with metronidazole as nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, headaches, tachycardia and flushing
may occur

It would be better for you to use the tablet form as this can be crushed and diluted in water. Once you work out how much you need to treat the whole tank then you can take out the required volume.

mm

#9 daci

daci
  • Banned

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:15 AM

one big girl now have die ( x 2 still not eating) treatment continue hoping for the best (flagyl tablet) will go to see oliver on Monday (open?) to get DMZ

btw, the death fish was in Suspension for more than 1/2 hr NOT 5 mins as previous post.

Chemist friend said suspension does contain alcohol but very minute...

michael

#10 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

Sorry, shop closed on Mondays....
I am in on Tuesday onwards....

#11 daci

daci
  • Banned

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

anychance if you could post the jar for me doc? if ok i will call you with my credit card details! the reason for this is because i do not think my little suzuki can make it on the free way to canningvale.

cheers
michael

ps. fishes have shown improvement! yahehehe!

#12 PCS_Committee

PCS_Committee
  • Committee

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:21 AM

Michael,

Have sent you a PM.

Just to remind everyone about the size of signatures. Please see section 8 or the T&C.
Thankyou

8. Signatures: If images are used as signatures, they must not be too big or offensive and will be allowed at the Committee's discretion.
If this facility is abused, image signatures will be turned off and only text signatures will be allowed. If a website url is used as a signature, the site must belong to the poster.
Text signatures are restricted to 4 lines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users